Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 54
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 29th Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    • 9,251 Posts
    • 17,235 Thanks
    calleyw
    Also from article:
    "The amount of stress it causes staff, particularly later on at closing time, is too much. It is a circus culture in which a horde of people most of whom can afford to pay full price - are fighting over sandwiches"
    Originally posted by Mee

As a manager I would never allow my staff to put up with that in the first place. They are paid min wage or just above. You have a right in your work place not be assaulted either physically or verbally. I would rather donate or bin than have my staff being stressed because of someone wanting a 10p sandwich.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 29th Sep 19, 1:32 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    General Grant
    Some of you are so lucky.

It seems to me that yellow stickers are far less generous than they used to be. Tesco knock 10-20% off by mid-afternoon when previously it was 50%; Morrisons have been very disappointing recently and last week there was no reduced bread in Morrisons at all.

A mix of lower % reductions and better stock control by supermarkets meaning less to reduce?

Also Tesco have closed their 'counters' which used to be a good source of reduced stuff near the end of the day.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    I've commented on this post before (suggesting donating to charity could be one reason for the fewer/poorer reductions). However I recently saw a Tesco advertisement which listed what they were doing to reduce food waste and it included having a "staff can take it away for free" [my wording] offer in their staff area. So which member of staff is going to mark down food which their co-workers can have for nothing if it is not sold to the public.?
    Last edited by General Grant; 29-09-2019 at 1:37 PM.
    • maman
    • By maman 29th Sep 19, 2:52 PM
    • 20,958 Posts
    • 124,276 Thanks
    maman
    Just spotted in The Times (not my usual newspaper):
    Originally posted by Mee
    I read the article too in The Times which, incidentally, is my daily newspaper.

I shop in Waitrose very occasionally (generally to stock up on own brand baked beans which are great) and the meagre offerings that I see in their reduced section rarely if ever encourage me to buy anything. I know I can buy very similar things full price in Aldi for cheaper.

As for staff being trampled in the rush I've never seen more than a handful of people just looking at the YS stuff and walking away.

Maybe there is a time of day when hordes of nerds who know when the prices hit rock bottom descend and security is needed but I'm not privy to this.

Overall I think what's happening is that all the major SMs are desperately trying to cut costs hoping that their customers are too dim to notice the reduced customer service etc. It's not working.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 29th Sep 19, 3:09 PM
    • 7,822 Posts
    • 15,847 Thanks
    Farway
    I shop in Waitrose very occasionally (generally to stock up on own brand baked beans which are great) and the meagre offerings that I see in their reduced section rarely if ever encourage me to buy anything. I know I can buy very similar things full price in Aldi for cheaper.

As for staff being trampled in the rush I've never seen more than a handful of people just looking at the YS stuff and walking away.

Maybe there is a time of day when hordes of nerds who know when the prices hit rock bottom descend and security is needed but I'm not privy to this.

Overall I think what's happening is that all the major SMs are desperately trying to cut costs hoping that their customers are too dim to notice the reduced customer service etc. It's not working.
    Originally posted by maman

The above is also my W8rose experience, plus a lot more SMs are donating to charities now there is a more organised method of doing it
    A charity I volunteer for receives surplus fresh food in this way, which in turn helps feed our clients as freshly cooked lunches
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 29th Sep 19, 3:23 PM
    • 6,524 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I've commented on this post before (suggesting donating to charity could be one reason for the fewer/poorer reductions). However I recently saw a Tesco advertisement which listed what they were doing to reduce food waste and it included having a "staff can take it away for free" [my wording] offer in their staff area. So which member of staff is going to mark down food which their co-workers can have for nothing if it is not sold to the public.?
    Originally posted by General Grant
    Do you begrudge supermarket workers from getting a few perks like left over food on it's sell by date?

I'm so glad I don't work in retail anymore, the one major problem with that was dealing with the public.
    • maman
    • By maman 29th Sep 19, 6:21 PM
    • 20,958 Posts
    • 124,276 Thanks
    maman
    Do you begrudge supermarket workers from getting a few perks like left over food on it's sell by date?

I'm so glad I don't work in retail anymore, the one major problem with that was dealing with the public.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    I don't begrudge them at all. They've been in the firing line as their bosses try to cut back on staffing and customer service. I know I've complained often in Sainsburys about the faulty credit card machines that need attention, the increase in self service tills and the much reduced customer service desks. And that's just in the last fortnight It's a cheap way of trying to keep their hard done by staff on board.
    • caroc
    • By caroc 28th Oct 19, 9:57 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    caroc
    Yesterday a local M & S foodstore had reduced their packs of bananas to 20p. As these are on a stand away from the other fruit and in a quiet area there were stacks. This was only 1:30. I bought 20 bananas for 80p. I've already made Banana and Walnut bread in the B/M and plan to make smoothies later.
    Also they had reduced their 500g fresh Tiramisu from 2.80 to 1.01 and that is dated 26 November.
    Still virtually allcohol free since 4/1/15. (6 New Year drinks) At least 3000 saved so far, but spent on pilates classes and spa days instead
    "Not drinking at a party is like having a hangover in reverse. You feel really miserable the night before and really good the next morning "
    • Dee Best
    • By Dee Best 28th Oct 19, 11:55 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Dee Best
    I never find bargains like that, I seem to find either "blown" packaging with dubious contents or the weird stuff that nobody ever wants.
    Mind you, I don't live close to a major supermarket to see these deals & the small Lidl which I'm nearest to is often half-empty of stock no matter when you visit.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 28th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 6,479 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Also they had reduced their 500g fresh Tiramisu from 2.80 to 1.01 and that is dated 26 November.
    Originally posted by caroc
    Oops, someone had misread that label
    • laserline
    • By laserline 20th Nov 19, 10:47 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    laserline
    Tesco staff perks
    Our local Tesco has a large fridge for staff to use 'Out back of store' Reduced counter food is taken for last reductions on a Sunday and most does not reappear as staff are having it for nothing. After 3.30 on a Sunday they then take out of date meat which is still on counters to reduce which again does not reappear. Customers are not getting a look in. Wonder what Tesco's wastage figures are in this store.Cashiers on till say they are aware and do not get a chance to take advantage of this freebie.They say the managers do not care.
    Also staff pass bags of reduced to friends who are waiting near by. May be family who knows.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 23rd Nov 19, 10:50 PM
    • 6,524 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Our local Tesco has a large fridge for staff to use 'Out back of store' Reduced counter food is taken for last reductions on a Sunday and most does not reappear as staff are having it for nothing. After 3.30 on a Sunday they then take out of date meat which is still on counters to reduce which again does not reappear. Customers are not getting a look in. Wonder what Tesco's wastage figures are in this store.Cashiers on till say they are aware and do not get a chance to take advantage of this freebie.They say the managers do not care.
    Also staff pass bags of reduced to friends who are waiting near by. May be family who knows.
    Originally posted by laserline
    Shock horror on staff getting first dips on the reduced bargains. I don't blame them. Working with the public is a right ballache and I glad I don't do it anymore.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 24th Nov 19, 9:33 AM
    • 7,822 Posts
    • 15,847 Thanks
    Farway
    Shock horror on staff getting first dips on the reduced bargains. I don't blame them.
    I sort of agree with the sentiment, but this is open to abuse if not closely monitored
    Staff YS items that are not really on use / sell date is one obvious consequence of unchecked staff first dibs policy
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 24th Nov 19, 10:02 AM
    • 6,524 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I sort of agree with the sentiment, but this is open to abuse if not closely monitored
    Staff YS items that are not really on use / sell date is one obvious consequence of unchecked staff first dibs policy
    Originally posted by Farway
    Most staff will be honest and they won't be reducing stuff they shouldn't be especially when it's easily checked by department/duty manager.
    • Lip_Stick
    • By Lip_Stick 26th Nov 19, 8:59 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 5,897 Thanks
    Lip_Stick
    Originally posted by General Grant
    That might be for best before items that are past their date that they wouldn't sell in store. I doubt it'd be for use by items that could be sold cheaply, as it is talking about waste.
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
    • Lip_Stick
    • By Lip_Stick 26th Nov 19, 9:02 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 5,897 Thanks
    Lip_Stick
    Most staff will be honest and they won't be reducing stuff they shouldn't be especially when it's easily checked by department/duty manager.
    A member of staff at my work recently got fired for putting yellow sticker items away, then reducing them even further. He was the guy actually doing the reductions.
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 26th Nov 19, 5:25 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    General Grant
    That might be for best before items that are past their date that they wouldn't sell in store. I doubt it'd be for use by items that could be sold cheaply, as it is talking about waste.
    Originally posted by Lip_Stick
    See https://www.foodbev.com/news/tesco-give-free-food-away-staff-move-eliminate-waste/

from which -
    Tesco employees will be able to receive free food which is approaching its expiry date as the retailer seeks to prevent further food from going to waste.

The grocer said it will introduce ‘colleague shops’ in all of its UK stores, with dedicated storage areas and fridges set up in back-of-store colleague rooms to keep food on its best before date.
    And we know that "best before" is not the same as "expiry date".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,351Posts Today

6,907Users online

Martin's Twitter