Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 1st Feb 13, 11:23 AM
    • 12,503 Posts
    • 8,147 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I would like to ask a question on this, Myself, my husband and my mother all went on a flight to Boston USA after (checking it was 5 years ago) with British Airways. We boarded the plane via bus and we had to sit in the plane on the tarmac for over 3 hours before our plane took off because they were having problems clearing a couple of the passengers at the USA airport of arrival. We were not offered any compensation, drinks or food while waiting. Do we qualify for compensation?
    Originally posted by poppet17
    How late was your arrival time compared with your scheduled arrival time?
    Compensation would be due if this was over 3 hours and IF the delay was within BAs control. I am guessing that immigration is not their issue but I also expect that it may have made sense for them to offload the bags for the held passengers and go without them avoiding such a long delay.
    You will probably have to write to BA asking for a clear reason for the delay.
    If you spent money on food/drink whilst waiting then you should be able to claim reimbursement. If you did not as I am assuming you were sat on the plane then you may get an apology
    • james87
    • By james87 2nd Feb 13, 9:25 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    james87
    Hi I had an 18 hour delay with BMI back in 2008 from tenerife. I have tried filling out the form via the BA website however this form seems to be for cancellations only as when I fill in the form it says they have no record of the flight being cancelled. I would be greatful if anyone could point me in the right direction of where I need to submit my claim thanks James.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 2nd Feb 13, 9:30 PM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    If their form doesn't allow your claim then perhaps write to BA.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • julie72
    delayed flight
    hi i was delayed for nearly 8 hrs with thomas cook from manchester to paphos on 16th october with my 4 daughters had no info for 5 hours,did write and complain but heard nothing.didnt no that we couid claim compo as first time abroad and thought delays were exspected.have emailed again yesterday but as heard nothing first time dont hold out much hope this time.if i hear nothing what shouid i do? thanks
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Feb 13, 8:45 PM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    JPears
    Does anyone have email of Andrew Crawley or Andrew Swaffield? Both are directors of IAG that owns BA. I need to email regarding BA constantly changing my flights booked for holiday in July!
    • irisradford
    • By irisradford 4th Feb 13, 9:38 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    irisradford
    BA BMI success.
    Has anyone had success claiming for a BMI flight from BA?
    Originally posted by topyam
    Received notification that my claim for delayed flight has been successful.
    Took persistence though.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
    • liviboy
    • By liviboy 10th Feb 13, 1:01 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    liviboy
    Well, had a reply from my first letter citing "air traffic restrictions" despite the fact, at the time, we were told it was due to air raft cleaning team running late.

This was announced and not given out in writing as it was only a 20 minute or do delay initially...my claim referred to the fact I was delayed reaching my final destination and that BA refused to put me on an earlier flight up to Edinburgh, instead delaying me in heathrow for 5 hours....

I now await a reply from my 2nd letter before deciding how to proceed...

Any ideas about this first letter though...opinions greatly received.
    Originally posted by liviboy
    Well got an email about the second claim.

They agree that I am entitled to compensation so a cheque for 600 on its way to me now.

Patience certainly paid off!
    • topyam
    • By topyam 10th Feb 13, 12:16 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    topyam
    Extraordinary??
    Hot a reply re a delay to my BMI flight - citing 'adverse weather conditions' - some other flights were cancelled that day, others just delays by an hour or so - was this 'extraordinary' then when other flights could take off and arrive??
  • engeeaitch
    Aircraft Damage not caused by BA
    Hi all,

Hoping that someone can offer some advice:

My flight BA0214 on 15 Nov 2012 departed from Heathrow about four hours late, and arrived three hours 35 mins late. BA reported that there was a problem with the door, which needed to be fixed. They said that the problem was fixed after about an hour, but that they then needed to get someone to sign-off the fix, which took another three hours.

I wrote to them asking for compensation, but they have just written back to say that the flight was "delayed due to aircraft damage which was not caused by British Airways", and therefore BA is not liable.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do next please?
  • suepurmum
    I submitted our claim to BA (4 people, business class flights, Orlando to Gatwick) at the beginning of January, got a response last Thursday to say there was no entitlement. My immediate email response to them was "I think I would remember if we were diverted to the Azores! You are looking at the wrong flight date". I got a response that we are entitled to 800 per person but since my Mum died shortly after flight (reason for business class flights) I have been asked for the death cert and probate certificate for her claim.
    • Mark2spark
    • By Mark2spark 11th Feb 13, 10:06 PM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 876 Thanks
    Mark2spark
    Hi all,

Hoping that someone can offer some advice:

My flight BA0214 on 15 Nov 2012 departed from Heathrow about four hours late, and arrived three hours 35 mins late. BA reported that there was a problem with the door, which needed to be fixed. They said that the problem was fixed after about an hour, but that they then needed to get someone to sign-off the fix, which took another three hours.

I wrote to them asking for compensation, but they have just written back to say that the flight was "delayed due to aircraft damage which was not caused by British Airways", and therefore BA is not liable.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do next please?
    Originally posted by engeeaitch
    You write back and ask them who employed the handling agents that caused the damage that delayed your flight.
    If BA employed them (99% likely) then it's BA's fault and you are owed the compo.
    Read the FAQ's for the essential reading on BA.
    • topyam
    • By topyam 11th Feb 13, 10:27 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    topyam
    Q
    Hot a reply re a delay to my BMI flight - citing 'adverse weather conditions' - some other flights were cancelled that day, others just delays by an hour or so - was this 'extraordinary' then when other flights could take off and arrive??
    Originally posted by topyam
    Anyone any idea??
  • Ich
    Was it weather at the departure airport or the weather forcasts at the en-route diversion airports, the destination airport or the alternative destination airports in case the orginal one gets closed?
    Any one of these can cause a flight to be cancelled on safety grounds

Had the airport/air traffic control enforced a reduction in flights and yours was one of those affected?

There are so many variables to an uniformative statement like that
    Last edited by Ich; 12-02-2013 at 9:46 AM.
    • Miss Cinnabon
    • By Miss Cinnabon 12th Feb 13, 11:01 AM
    • 19,434 Posts
    • 577,791 Thanks
    Miss Cinnabon
    Claim Successful
    Would just like to thank everyone on here for all the great advice put my claim in for a delay of 4 hours 20 in November by letter, followed up by 3 emails ( no response) contacted caa last monday and email came through from ba on thurs saying claim was successful for 600 euros per person and cheque has arrived this morning
    • loikok
    • By loikok 13th Feb 13, 9:24 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    loikok
    Hi folks looking for some advice,

Flew BA from Tampa to London Gatwick 18th march 2012, connecting BA flight to Glasgow 19th march was at first delayed then cancelled due to a technical fault.

Ended up about a ten hours delay in total would like to know if worth pursuing and if so is it classed as under 1500km as it was a connecting flight or over 3500km as starting point was Tampa.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
  • balletgirls
    Claim rejected
    Following a delay to a flight from Edinburgh to London BA have rejected my claim on the grounds of a security incident.

The 'incident' was the pilot throwing an 'unaccounted for' mobile phone from the cockpit window onto the tarmac below as we were waiting to join the runway for take off. The Police took the pilot of the flight to interview him and the co pilot whilst the passengers were left on board the aircraft, in another part of the airport, although it would have been easy enough for us to return to the terminal and be allowed to disembark for the four hours we were delayed.

I believe this is the airline's responsibility in the same way a technical problem is not a reason to deny compensation. In this case it was the conduct of their employee and nothing to do with passengers or other external factors. But would be interested in your opinion please.
  • blondmark
    Following a delay to a flight from Edinburgh to London BA have rejected my claim on the grounds of a security incident.

The 'incident' was the pilot throwing an 'unaccounted for' mobile phone from the cockpit window onto the tarmac below as we were waiting to join the runway for take off. The Police took the pilot of the flight to interview him and the co pilot whilst the passengers were left on board the aircraft, in another part of the airport, although it would have been easy enough for us to return to the terminal and be allowed to disembark for the four hours we were delayed.

I believe this is the airline's responsibility in the same way a technical problem is not a reason to deny compensation. In this case it was the conduct of their employee and nothing to do with passengers or other external factors. But would be interested in your opinion please.
    Originally posted by balletgirls
    On the facts, BA would appear to be liable for the delay. Its employee was doing what he was authorised to do in an unauthorised way, i.e. he engaged in a criminal act of causing criminal damage to a mobile phone without lawful justification. On this analysis, a delay which is self-inflicted comes nowhere near the definition of 'extraordinary circumstances', leaving the airline liable for the delay it caused by its misguided action.
    • moonshadow555
    • By moonshadow555 13th Feb 13, 4:06 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    moonshadow555
    Back in September 2010 we had a business class flight from Gatwick to Genoa. After checking in and on arrival at the BA lounge we were told the flight had been cancelled due to technical reasons. We were persuaded to take an alternative flight via Turin and coach to Genoa. We arrived at around 8pm in the evening instead of just before lunch. I have no proof that we were ever booked on the outward leg of the flight as our BA club statement shows the flight to Turin. Never thought to ask for compensation for meals as we had use of the BA lounge. As we accepted the change of routing would we be entitled to compensation?
    • moonshadow555
    • By moonshadow555 13th Feb 13, 5:05 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    moonshadow555
    You would indeed
    Originally posted by Centipede100
    Thank you, we'll give it a go then. Just hope they accept that I don't have the original flight number and time!
  • missy.p
    I sent my claim to BA on 27th November 12 about a flight in Oct 07 from Kenya to Heathrow, which was delayed, resulting in me missing my connection flight to Newcastle & subsequent late arrival in Newcastle of over 4 hours.
    I finally received a reply today refusing my claim for compensation

"because flight BA64 was cancelled due to a combination of airfield restrictions and a lack of ground handling resources outside of BAs control which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, BA is not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.
    Unfortunatly airline operations are subject to circumstances outside the airlines control. BA takes all reasonable measures to avoid cancelling a flight in such circumstances. Consideration is given to whether there are any operational options available before a decision to cancel is made. We are sorry that cancellation was necessary in this case"

This reply is confusing to say the least as the flight was delayed & not cancelled ? I suspect someone has clicked the wrong infill on their reply letter template, but any suggestions what I should / could do next?!
    thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

522Posts Today

4,267Users online

Martin's Twitter