Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    can i claim child tax credits for my grandchildren
    • #1
    • 5th Dec 12, 6:06 PM
    can i claim child tax credits for my grandchildren 5th Dec 12 at 6:06 PM
    My daughter and her 2 children are living with me temporarily. My daughter has been trying to claim tax credits but cannot as they are saying her national insurance number isnt activated. We have been waiting for 3 weeks and when ever we call them they say she has to wait another 2 weeks. She is getting desperate now as she has no money and i cannot afford to support them on my income.
    Can i apply for child tax credits until she gets sorted out?
Page 2
  • CAB Birmingham representative
    Thank you for your e-mail

    This is a complicated issue that may require your daughter to seek advice and support to clarify the situation.
    If your daughter has not done so yet she should contact the HMRC Tax Credits Helpline on 0345 300 3900 (textphone 0345 300 3909). Calls cost the same as a local rate telephone call.
    The following information is from our website

    You'll need to fill in a lot of information, including details of all your income for the previous tax year. You'll also need to give your national insurance and Child Benefit numbers. If you have problems filling in the form, you should look at the notes that come with it, phone the Tax Credits Helpline, or get advice from an expIf you're unhappy about the service you get from HMRC, for example because there have been long delays in dealing with your claim or they have lost documents you sent them, you should complain first of all to the tax credit office which dealt with your claim.
    The HMRC Tax Credit Helpline can explain what you should do if you want to take your complaint further, or you can get help from an experienced adviser.

    If your daughter does wish to discuss this further she can contact her local Bureau and attend one of our walk-in services or alternatively contact our telephone advice line team on 0844 77 10 10.

    Kind regards
    Birmingham CAB
    ďOfficial CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe Iíve broken any rules please report my post to as usual"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,051Posts Today

6,895Users online

Martin's Twitter