Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 26th Oct 05, 5:41 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion
    • 26th Oct 05, 5:41 PM
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion 26th Oct 05 at 5:41 PM
    UPDATE 17 MAY 10

Due to the disruption on this thread, and the drain on resources, this thread has been closed.

A new thread has been started here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=32896445#post32896445

PLEASE, if the discussion can't be kept friendly, the new thread will be locked permanently.

This is a special area for the discussion of Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus). Unfortunately, it has become the topic for heated debate in the past and detracted from the main gas & electricity discussions. Therefore I would like to keep in restricted to just this discussion.

However due to past experiences some strict rules

i. All Telecom Plus Distributers must declare it when they post
    ii. All workers or those related to other utility companies must declare it
    iii. There are to be no abusive comments, accusations of fraud.
    iv. Anyone breaking the above rules will be barred first of all from this board, and if they persist from the Chat Forums

I hate having to be so draconian, yet this problem has lasted for more than a year. So it is time to sort it out.

My basic view on Utility Warehouse is contained within this article

For general, non-UW, discussions on gas & electricity click here

And Please I know there are two very polemic views on Utility Warehouse going to be expressed in this thread. Please do not libel anyone. Treat those with opposing arguments with respect, even though you disagree and please try and avoid personal remarks. I live in hope!
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 17-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 2
  • dic
    Very interesting reading all the previous stuff! I am a satisfied (up to now) customer, and I'm not a distributor! However, I got a call from a utility salesperson recently and when I said who I was with she (oops) said, "Oh yes, British Gas". "they are taking over UW!"
    Does anyone know if this is true, and what the implications are?
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 14th Dec 05, 1:16 PM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    NigeWick
    I got a call from a utility salesperson recently and when I said who I was with she (oops) said, "Oh yes, British Gas". "they are taking over UW!"
    Does anyone know if this is true, and what the implications are?
    by dic
    After what The Honourable has said when I've attended the annual RaRaUpSchool meetings, I really don't think T+ will be taken over. I haven't heard anything as a Distributor on this subject and the share price hasn't rocketed

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • utilitybroker
    Their is an article in the Financial Pages of todays Daily Express which says amongst other things they have lost serious money on Gas,and profits will be affected.

Perhaps BG want them for their Billing System. :confused:

When Centrica (BG) took over Telco Global they got rid of their mlm arm!
    Last edited by utilitybroker; 14-12-2005 at 3:32 PM.
  • Jenrigg
    My name is jenrigg and I am a UW distributor (I feel like I'm on a 12-step programme here!!)

I am happy with the service, and feel that Nigel has put it very well in his posts. Just a thought, though: if UW are so bad for phones, how come Which? have voted them "Best for line and calls"? Just wondering....
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 29th Dec 05, 5:58 PM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    NigeWick
    if UW are so bad for phones, how come Which? have voted them "Best for line and calls"?
    by Jenrigg
    What's the date of the article you are "quoting?" I would suggest that if it is more than a few months old, it really may not be valid now.

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • bendtoy
    My name is jenrigg and I am a UW distributor (I feel like I'm on a 12-step programme here!!)

I am happy with the service, and feel that Nigel has put it very well in his posts. Just a thought, though: if UW are so bad for phones, how come Which? have voted them "Best for line and calls"? Just wondering....
    by Jenrigg
    Of course your happy with it.Your a distributor and have paid £200 approx to sell it.

You cant get away from it UW T-Plus phone packages and line rental are more expensive then other suppliers,and this site is all about saving money.

If you just want line rental you still have to pay membership fee of £1.50p a month.
    Line rental is cheaper then BT but TP charge for caller display,and BT dont.So this wipes out savings and more.

Call packages are dearer then most providers .TP charge £5 a month for free calls to 01/02 numbers.Other suppliers charge zilch.

TP Intl Call charges are not that good.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 30th Dec 05, 11:23 AM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    NigeWick
    If you just want line rental you still have to pay membership fee of £1.50p a month.
    Line rental is cheaper then BT but TP charge for caller display,and BT dont.So this wipes out savings and more.
    by bendtoy
    I am a Distributor with Telecom Plus (Utility Discount Warehouse Club) too. With VAT, the club membership is £1.76 per month. Calls to other club members are free and so it can make sense for families and friends to join, in the appropriate circumstances. My mother, brother, sister in law, daughters and nieces can all phone me and each other at no extra cost. I use one of the alternatives for calls abroad. I also have take all other services as they work out the best overall deal for me. This will not be the case for everybody. The company may not be the absolute cheapest, but I believe that customers do get long term value & service and UDWC try and be competetive whilst still making a profit. They don't do loss leaders and they don't make payments to the likes of Uswitch to gain market share.

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • bendtoy
    Other suppliers also offer free calls to users of the same network.T-Plus are not the only supplier doing it.
    If you have Free Evening and Weekend Calls,you can phone any one on 01/02 numbers for free during this period,so everybody is your Family and Friend.T-Plus charge £60 a year for this service.
    T-plus phone services are not competitive.Nor are their broadband packages.
  • john.plus
    I am a Distributor with T-Plus also.

Their have been Customer Service Problems in past but more staff have been taken on at our Call Centre which is UK Based. Three recent calls i made to CS were all answered within 25 seconds.

Yes you do have to pay a membership fee of £1.76 a month to use their services, you do however get cash back of £10 a year for every service you take out after the first one.You also get just one bill including every service on it, making it easy to control your utility spending,and saving on a few trees! Lots of Utility Companies have talked about doing this,we are still the one that offers this service,a very popular one with customers.

We have just launched a free call promotion which includes all calls geo, non geo .dq, etc etc.

We may not be the cheapest in every respect but i think we offer good value for money over the long term.Surely over 200.000 customers cant be wrong.We were voted by WHICH last year No1 for lines and calls. Well ahead of likes of BT,NTL, and Onetel.

Unlike some other providers we do provide a low cost phone call service service for cable customers.
    Last edited by john.plus; 07-01-2006 at 1:55 PM. Reason: removing malfunctioning link
  • pandaonmyshoulder
    Ok so now I'm confused.... We have UW for Gas, Elec, Home Phone & lovely Husband's Mobile. We won't get our "cashback" until maybe May as we've been with 'em for 12 mths then. But my problem is this......
    1. They aren't appearing as cheapest now for dual fuel, something called London something is.
    2. Husbands mobile won't work at his place of work (can't get a signal), call goes straight to answerphone. We have complained about this and all UW suggest is upgrading the phone....at of course additional expense to us.
    3. Our home phone is UW but so his my mother-in-law so free calls to her and free calles from husband's mobile to our home-when it works... So what do we do, stay with 'em or switch?????????
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 11th Jan 06, 5:50 PM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    NigeWick
    1. They aren't appearing as cheapest now for dual fuel, something called London something is.

2. Husbands mobile won't work at his place of work (can't get a signal), call goes straight to answerphone. We have complained about this and all UW suggest is upgrading the phone....at of course additional expense to us.

3. Our home phone is UW but so his my mother-in-law so free calls to her and free calles from husband's mobile to our home-when it works... So what do we do, stay with 'em or switch?????????
    by pandaonmyshoulder
    1. How long will London something be the cheapest?

2. Unfortunately there are blackspots for most mobile companies' coverage and unless you have somebody on that system to try before you buy, you can't tell until it happens.You could contact O2, if that's who your husband's phone is piggybacking on and let them know that they have a black spot where he works.

3. Decide what you are going to be happiest with long term and do that.

Mixing and matching services is a very personal thing as what suits one may not suit the next person. I stick with T+ for everything because my package works out overall best value for me. If I were to live in London, it may not and I would change it.

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • john.plus
    Ok so now I'm confused.... We have UW for Gas, Elec, Home Phone & lovely Husband's Mobile. We won't get our "cashback" until maybe May as we've been with 'em for 12 mths then. But my problem is this......
    by pandaonmyshoulder
    My advice to you would be go back to the distributor who sold you the service,and seek his help to resolve the matter.

However i would make the following points.

T-Plus did write to all their customers on the 1/10/2005 advising about energy price increases and they did give you the opportunity to move your supplier by the 21//11/05,and if you did they would not apply increase until end of November.

Has your husbands mobile ever worked at his work place,or is it a new job? T-Mobile operate T-Plus Mobile Service (But some old customers still on O2).Like all mobile networks it does have its blindspots.What network is it on Does anyone where he works use T-Mob/O2 and if so do their phones work ,if not it sounds like a black spot. Get him to try sim in unlocked phone and see if it works at work place,that will confirm if its a phone problem or a network one.

If its a new contract you presumbaly signed at least a one year contract for mobile so you would have to keep it till at least May.

At the moment you stand to lose £30 cash back,and free calls if you move Gas/ Electric and Landline before end of first year ,£20 if you just moved energy ,how does that compare to the savings you can make moving supplier.Bearing in mind it will be at least six weeks before you can qualify for cheaper prices.
    Last edited by john.plus; 11-01-2006 at 6:17 PM.
  • john.plus
    If I were to live in London, it may not and I would change it.Nigel.
    by NigeWick
    Hi Nigel.

Did you miss fact that the Lady we are replying to lives in Glossop.

Regards. John.
  • pandaonmyshoulder
    U warehouse
    erm...... Husband's sim works in my Nokia and has a good signal but in his Ericsson it's no or hardly any signal at the same place on his desk???? His Uw mobile is Piggy backed on O2 and no body else at work has the same probs.

As to the dual fuel might leave things as they are until my 12 mths is up and bag the cash back and then do a runner.

UW customer service is rubbish. As for an introducer we signed up via a website think it was uswitch.
  • john.plus
    erm...... Husband's sim works in my Nokia and has a good signal but in his Ericsson it's no or hardly any signal at the same place on his desk???? His Uw mobile is Piggy backed on O2 and no body else at work has the same probs.

As to the dual fuel might leave things as they are until my 12 mths is up and bag the cash back and then do a runner.

UW customer service is rubbish. As for an introducer we signed up via a website think it was uswitch.
    by pandaonmyshoulder
    So his phone did work but it does not now. I assume its now out of contract and you cant get it repaired.

When you say its rubbish ring up and ask to speak to a Team Leader if you are not happy about level of CS you are/have recieved, if they dont theirs a problem how can they fix it for you.

Hope you manage to get things sorted.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 12th Jan 06, 3:56 PM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Did you miss fact that the Lady we are replying to lives in Glossop
    by john.plus
    I was using me as an example. If *I* were to move, my best overall value deal may change. Obviously I should have worded it better.

Nigel.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • COS
    • By COS 26th Mar 06, 2:00 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    COS
    Ditch The !!!!!
    Living in the Portsmouth area, I suggest using Npower for gas and electricity bills and if possible NTL for phone, internet, and TV + family channel £38.00 my optional feature is topup on you telephone using this service you are charged £1.50 and national calls then cost 1p unlimited in my case I call international. I have gone through the list of companies and utility warehouse being bottom. Problems I did have with NTL, but since having a direct line to the MD bat phone I can honestly say I have had no problems during the past 6 months and had no reason to call them.

Remember guys, Living in Portsmouth , we are the most populated city for its size so lets get the best for our money from the utility companies instead of them dictating prices to us lets turn the tables as I am tired of paying through the nose and as Martin as said in the past, " all these companies want is your money" not likely champ.
  • jellygoodfellow
    Not NTL the people that charge you 6p to connect a call before you start.The same outfit that are abolishing their Customer Service Freephone number.

You fail to mention that the premium rate top up service you use,also charges you 5p connection per call.
  • Madboffin
    this, I suppose, is a tentative link to UW.

I recently switched from them to Seeboard saving myself£800p.a. on dual fuel costs but it's the comparison services I'm more interested in.

I plugged exactly the same annual usage info into USwitch and the energyhelpline, they both came up with exactly the same annual usage costs for my existing supplier, both suggested Seeboard as the cheapest alternative but both had different estimated annual savings totals! How? Is there a commission difference between "switch engines" -just curious in case some of my estimated saving is being "filtered" off as comission. Went with the USwitch option - the champagne did it for me and at leat I'm away from UW!
    • COS
    • By COS 26th Mar 06, 6:01 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    COS
    Not NTL the people that charge you 6p to connect a call before you start.The same outfit that are abolishing their Customer Service Freephone number.

You fail to mention that the premium rate top up service you use,also charges you 5p connection per call.
    by jellygoodfellow
    I failed to mention the premium because it dont exist for me as I stated I divert my calls through other networks ie: Teletopup which I use to call France and nationally. NTL gets very little out of me it usually the reverse £160.00 last year in compensation, as I said all is well now I have a direct number to the Bat phone so really the freephone customer services don't apply to me anyway as the most I would pay is a penny.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,076Posts Today

9,988Users online

Martin's Twitter