Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    • 10,915Posts
    • 17,221Thanks
    worried jim
    Your Bangernomics successes
    • 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    Your Bangernomics successes 19th Feb 12 at 1:34 PM
    Hello my fellow cheapskates. After spending nearly three years running a car for as cheap as possible, mainly as I ran it throughout all but he darkest depths of winter on WVO/UVO (waste or used vegetable oil), in a Vauxhall Astra I have had to say good bye to the old girl as it is no longer economical to repair to get it through it’s MOT (which has now expired yesterday).

Running my Vauxhall Astra on veg oil-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1961265&highlight=worried+jim

Being of limited budget but a growing fan of “Bangernomics” (old banger cars + economics) I have decided to catalogue my experiences of running a sub £1000 car and I would like you to share your experiences if you are doing the same, weather through tight-fisted choice, i.e.-
    -Why buy a new car when you can run one successfully for the equivalent of two new car finance payments.
    -Or like me because you have no choice.

Now to begin with we need to agree on price constraints. I have gone in with a £1000 price limit even though I paid half this, if you disagree lets discuss reasons, I am all ears.

Here is my set up-
    A Rover 600 2.0sli.
    12 months MOT
    No tax
    £495.

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, Metallic Blue, MOT-02-2013. Honda engine, ABS, Alloy wheels, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Rear headrests, Alloy wheels, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Alarm, Drivers airbag, Electric windows, Height adjustable drivers seat, Remote central locking,
    The mileage was approx 118,000, Cambelt changed @79,000, loads of history (not fsh though) all the old MOT certificates.

The bad bits about the car are-

Electric aerial doesn’t retract (can’t use a carwash)
    Drivers seat lumber is worn
    Paint is faded on roof and boot lid.
    Radio is missing a button and unable to pick up many stations
    Small cigarette burn in rear passenger seat
    Driver’s seat belt doesn’t retract
    Not sure if Air con is fully working (suspect needs a re gas)
    Wind noise at speed from top right of driver door
    Both wing mirrors are tatty (held together with tape and a nylon tie)

The good bits-

Drives very well
    All tyres have lots of tread
    All electrics work
    12 months MOT
    Goes like stink
    Better than the last car I had.

So in a nutshell I have bought a car with a brand new MOT for the price of getting my existing Astra through it’s MOT just to face a similar if not larger bill for the same next year.
    Now there is nothing to suggest that in a years time I face the prospect of a large MOT repair bill and may have to start again with another car, hopefully not, and this is to document how far you can go with a banger.

I have found an original Topgear review by Jeremy himself from 1993-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Lq92QTrBw

I have had a good look around ebay and it is full of Rover parts should I need any- I currently have the wining bid on a Haynes manual so I can really get to know the car should I need to.

I will be the first to admit that this is a gamble, no nice new car with no faults or warranty should any arise, hell, I’ve bought a car from a now defunct manufacture, how will this effect me? Now in my mind when I was a teenager in the early 90’s a banger was a Hillman Imp, Vauxhall Chevette or as in my case and my first car a Talbot Sunbeam. These were cars that if you wanted a radio (or a rear heated element on the rear screen) you had to fit one your self. Cold morning- fingers crossed, MOT time meant welding new sills. Now a banger today comes with power steering, ABS, electric windows, fuel injection and in some cases air con, so why spend £k’s?

Top Gear guide to Buying a Banger with Quentin Wilson- From 1997
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUVmNCdf4tI&feature=related
    (You won’t be buying anything featured in this clip but it gives you the idea and you can see the difference between “old” and “modern” bangers.
    So by now you should be getting the jist of how to join in. Share you car and model any feature it may have and keep updating!

The £495 beast-

Tatty rear bumper-

Poor paint condition on roof (with free seagull crap)

Poor paint condition on boot lid-

Tatty wing mirror-

Missing radio button-
    Last edited by worried jim; 19-02-2012 at 2:32 PM.
Page 3
    • jase1
    • By jase1 22nd Feb 12, 6:11 PM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    jase1
    This is probably cheating, but when my Grandad was told he'd only get £750 for his 6 year old Daewoo Nubira he gave it to us. I got 7 years out of the car and ended up selling it for £325 at 13 years old, still going strong. No major faults in that time; one window regulator, a siezed caliper, an ABS sensor, a couple of wishbones, a cambelt kit, a small oil leak fixed with the cambelt and one dodgy IAC Valve was all it cost us (no more than £500 all told).

It's still on the road (according to askMID) and I don't doubt that it'll keep going.

Also put nearly 100,000 miles on a Primera that already had 170k when I bought it for £800. It was worse for wear by the end but gave very little trouble while I had it.

I've also owned a number of other cheap cars for 2 or 3 years at a time, none of which cost more than a £1000. Currently have a Mitsubishi which was £1000 on a 2003 plate, which is going great guns.
    Last edited by jase1; 22-02-2012 at 6:14 PM.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 25th Feb 12, 8:32 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,221 Thanks
    worried jim
    Just driven the old Astra down to the local scrap yard and walked out with £156.50 ! I am amazed. Shame I had to walk back in the pouring rain. May treat the Rover to an air-con recharge for £29.99 at krap fitt later on.
  • Kilty
    I put 1-2k a week on a 1.5 Almera for a couple of months without major issue....

If you can get one with a long MOT for a few hundred quid they're a good buy, however don't bank on it seeing it's next one if it's got a rusty crossmember like 99% of them.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 25th Feb 12, 12:21 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,221 Thanks
    worried jim
    I put 1-2k a week on a 1.5 Almera for a couple of months without major issue....

If you can get one with a long MOT for a few hundred quid they're a good buy, however don't bank on it seeing it's next one if it's got a rusty crossmember like 99% of them.
    Originally posted by Kilty
    I think I have a good one Kilty. It came with 53 weeks MOT and there is no rust, just tatty worn lacquer on the paintwork- does anyone know a way of rectifying or improving this. Do I need to avoid jet washes.

P.s- Its an absolute joy to drive. When I drove my Astra to the scrap yard this morning it felt agricultural by comparison- I am glad to see it gone now.

How much did you get your Nissan for- I'd have thought that was a very good buy- unloved so not in demand with Japanese reliability and build quality- any nightmares?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 25th Feb 12, 1:19 PM
    • 6,527 Posts
    • 3,000 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Any photos of the old Astra?

Still a shame it went to the scrappers.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 25th Feb 12, 2:02 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,221 Thanks
    worried jim
    Only these-

• benham3160
    I could write a book on this, I once took a diesel Cavalier to the wrong side of 300,000 miles. - Car cost me £50 and I drove it for a year with no issues! I put a new MOT on it and sold it at the end of it's tenure with me, for £200. Not the nicest looking vehicle on the planet, but drove fine and did 50+mpg. Buttons to insure (was 19 at the time, in 2005ish) and parts where very cheap and easy to come by.

Bought a fully top spec (every possible extra) Mondeo Ghia-X three years ago for £500 and drove it for two years, 2.0 petrol with lots of miles so wouldn't have moved on a forecourt. Lovely engine, sold for £500 after two years. Lovely car to drive, bit juicy, but wouldn't get that level of refinement or comfort in a lot of popular cars costing 10 times as much.

Regards.
    Andy
  • Kilty
    How much did you get your Nissan for- I'd have thought that was a very good buy- unloved so not in demand with Japanese reliability and build quality- any nightmares?
    Originally posted by worried jim
    I paid £750 for a 2002 02 with 12 months MOT and 6 months tax, sold it for £550 2 months and nearly 10,000 miles later.

Had issues with the battery but I think there were electrical gremlins somewhere. Replaced front brake discs and pads because they were getting a bit too worn for the kind of driving I was doing.

It was a really very abused example, but mechanically solid.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 2nd Mar 12, 8:02 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,221 Thanks
    worried jim
    Got my £1.75 ebay Haynes manual this week and I have already fixed the electric aerial. I was going to get a second hand one of ebay for £25 but had a look in the book and a fiddle around and now it retracts when I turn the ignition off.

The original Rover radio was pretty poor and could barely pick up any stations, I was getting sick of Heart FM, how many times in one day can your listen to Take That and Amy Winehouse, so I was going to buy a new one, but no- had a look in the haynes manual, took it out the dash, reconnected the leads and hey presto Radio Four. Well happy.

Absolutely loving driving it at present it is such a nice car to drive and may take it for a good run from the South Coast to the Midlands next week. The seagulls love it as well as it is covered in Sh*t. Cheers.
  • mikey72
    I was with you until "The Archers"
  • mikey72
    My banger is going well, but I really need to get the driveshaft off, there's a bad clonk on any corners, £60 to recon it, when I have time to get it off.
    Otherwise can't complain.
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 2nd Mar 12, 8:47 PM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 4,251 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    Replacement cars a bigger banger than the one I weighed in, currently using a motorbike bought recently. (£700, Passed MOT with flying colours and no advisories)
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 2nd Mar 12, 11:39 PM
    • 10,644 Posts
    • 60,453 Thanks
    SingleSue
    Vauxhall Astra 1.7 diesel estate, purchased for £461 nearly 5 years ago from Ebay and has only needed normal bits and pieces (tyres, rear exhaust pipe etc).

Have done 30k miles in it now (the car itself has done over 155k) and has never really given me any trouble and been a joy after my utterly useless and crap Audi A4 which costs us a pretty penny.

Bad bits
    The blower only blows 2 speeds, full blast or not at all.
    The gauge for outside temp is...errr....either very optimistic or very pesimistic.
    Can only unlock the central locking from the drivers side.
    Sun roof windy thingy has broken off.

But as a work horse/carrier of drum kit, it has been great.

Edit - when purchased, it came with 12 months MOT.
    Last edited by SingleSue; 02-03-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    We made it! Two graduated, 1 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 3rd Mar 12, 12:30 AM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 4,251 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    Mines was the 1.7 astra the same as Jims. Mines was £410 with 10 months MOT.
    Definately a bangernomics success story.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 3rd Mar 12, 7:22 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,221 Thanks
    worried jim
    Ha ha Sue! Snap. My Astra blower only worked on the last two settings as well.

Glad you are getting value for money from it. What model is it, as it may be suitable to run on vegetable oil as a few of her have already being doing?

You can see mine doing so on the photos in post 46.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 3rd Mar 12, 10:39 AM
    • 38,034 Posts
    • 23,597 Thanks
    getmore4less
    With the number of astras coming through(lots mobility) there are relative bargains further up the chain keeping the older stuff rock bottom.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 3rd Mar 12, 10:52 AM
    • 13,336 Posts
    • 30,439 Thanks
    andygb
    What a great thread this is, reminds me of my pre married days, when I was carefree and relished the chance to run a cheap, interesting car, rarely spending over £300 (cheapest were a MK 3 Cortina 1.6 GXL £50 and a VW Polo £25, which I did up and sold for £400 after running it for a couple of years), and relying on scrappies to keep them going. How I miss clambering up a tower of wobbly cars to get a piece of "treasure" - Elf and safety, whats that you say?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 3rd Mar 12, 11:52 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,221 Thanks
    worried jim
    I have climbed up many a 4 stack tower of scrap cars to get to the good stuff, by passing the wrecks that were covered with blankets as I was told (don't know how true) that there were recovered from crashes were there had been deaths. Scrapyards- an adults adventure playground.
  • CompBunny
    My Nova failed its MOT

Would cost £800 to repair... nooooooooooooooo! God I love that car My bangernomics saga has come to an end..
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012

• worried jim
    • By worried jim 3rd Mar 12, 12:30 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,221 Thanks
    worried jim
    My Nova failed its MOT

Would cost £800 to repair... nooooooooooooooo! God I love that car My bangernomics saga has come to an end..
    Originally posted by CompBunny
    No it hasn't! It's only just beginning. £500 will get you a car with 12 months MOT. That's £300 saved already, + £150 scrap for your Nova. Let us know what you decide....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,729Posts Today

6,717Users online

Martin's Twitter