Your Bangernomics successes

Options

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Skoda Favorit
    It was about £250, with a years mot and tax.
    Much abused, it even had an old concrete fireplace in the back to go to the tip. Must have weighed a ton.
    It needed 4 tyres, as they were perished, but a set of wheels and good tyres from a golf cost me £15 off ebay.
    Passed the mot with just a wheel bearing, and I eventually sold it when the head gasket went with just 1 months tax and mot for £125.
    Next was a 106 diesel, £450. 90,000 miles on it.
    That did another 70,000 miles in 4 years, until the back inner arches went. Scrapped for £175.
    It cost all the usual in brakes, tyres, etc.
    Other running costs were a new radiator, two back shocks, and two front seats (ebay £5) when the old ones sagged a bit.
    Mot was never more than a gaiter, or a couple of brake pipes last time.
    I did have the cam belt done, but it was due for another this year.

Replaced by a Renault. £350 short mot, a bit of welding £100, and, now 12 months

So 7 years worth, £950 ish, not including the wear and tear items, (brakes, cambelt, tyres etc) less whatever the Renault is worth, currently around £500 on ebay.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    VW polo 1.4 CL on a r plate a mate picked up last year he intended to do a few remedial repairs, and give it to his son to learn and drive when passed, bad bits, interior really dirty (but suprisingly no fag burns) the red was a faded pink, driverside hub and bearing collapsed hence the previous owner selling it, rocker cover gasket completely blown, and a radiator plug leak.

some PTFE tape on rad plug sealed the leak, a scrappy sought suspension leg with hub, fitted DIY, a good old hoover and steam clean to interior, new rocker cover gasket, and a mop polish.

total cost of repairs/clean up £35.00.

total cost of vehicle £120.

passed MOT no advisories back in january.

has all document with the vehicle and has 84k genuin miles. and full service history up untill 72K when it change over to it second previous owner.

what a bargain banger in my eyes.
  • Farzackerly
    Options
    89 Toyota Carina II, bought with 80k on it in 2004 - still got it and it's running well. I paid €800 for it, which was about right at the time for one of these, never mind the low mileage. One owner before me, who'd taken it with him when he'd retired, so only one driver.
    It didn't cost anything for repairs (apart from a couple of tyres) until last year when I got a bit nervous about the cambelt and paid a local workshop to do it - that, a battery, an alternator and two rear shocks are all it's needed in the past eight years. So, the total thus far is approx €800, or €100 per year, which isn't bad. Only problem with running such an old one, even though it exhibits good Toyota reliability is that spares are getting harder to find in breakers, plus a lot of these went to Poland, oddly enough.
    I still have the original alternator, so I might rebuild that and keep it as a spare. Needs another two tyres now, but even though it's an ongoing cost overall it's about a third of keeping my Transit on the road.

I love Bangernomics :)
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    89 Toyota Carina II, bought with 80k on it in 2004 - still got it and it's running well. I paid €800 for it, which was about right at the time for one of these, never mind the low mileage. One owner before me, who'd taken it with him when he'd retired, so only one driver.
    It didn't cost anything for repairs (apart from a couple of tyres) until last year when I got a bit nervous about the cambelt and paid a local workshop to do it - that, a battery, an alternator and two rear shocks are all it's needed in the past eight years. So, the total thus far is approx €800, or €100 per year, which isn't bad. Only problem with running such an old one, even though it exhibits good Toyota reliability is that spares are getting harder to find in breakers, plus a lot of these went to Poland, oddly enough.
    I still have the original alternator, so I might rebuild that and keep it as a spare. Needs another two tyres now, but even though it's an ongoing cost overall it's about a third of keeping my Transit on the road.

I love Bangernomics :)

Definitely the winner so far. Seven years on a £800 car, the gauntlet has been laid down.:T
  • CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    edited 20 February 2012 at 10:34AM
    Options
    My parents spent £250 on a 45,000mile K reg Vauxhall Nova 1.5TD for me when I was 16, I'm now 24 . Parents drove it as a fuel-efficient runaround to back up their other two cars until I was ready to learn (almost three years ago, car had 54k on it when I took possession) and now it has done 75,000 miles. I actually took my driving test in it, much to the horror of the examiner! In the three years I have looked after it it has needed a handbrake overhaul, new brake pads and shoes, two new tyres. Not bad in my opinion, considering in that time it has been driven by two learners/new drivers.

The best thing about my dear little car is the fuel economy: 63mpg even when driven by my partner shortly after passing his test (getting used to driving an old tank instead of a modern flying carpet!). 72mpg at best hypermiling.

Wing mirrors are exceptionally tatty, paintwork is awful, no arial, a few small oil leaks, noisy, no power steering but it has never broken down on me.

MOT is coming up, the cambelt could go at any time, wheel bearing needs doing, I fear the handbrake needs some work, possibly new brake pads and the fan belt is on its last tension. We're saving up for a new used car for when we need it...might be very soon, but the car has done me well!

Love reading about your bangers :)
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• richard734
    Options
    Not really bangers by the <£1000 rule, but I just swapped out my Y plate megane convertible. bought for my old puma +£1k. Ran for close to 2 years with normal service expenses, and got around 36mpg. only real costs were new brake pipes (£120 dec 11) and a new hydraulic hose for the roof (£95 May 11)
    Treated myself to an Astra convertible this weekend, swapped teh megane in for £1k trade and spent £1500.

We have the big, proper family car, the 2nd car is to cover my 8 mile each way daily commute and the occasional trip from Northampton to Manchester.
    I have a budget of around £1k + the old car when ever I want to change. Hard haggling at the garages and knowing enough to fix minor problems myself helps keep teh costs down.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    You should have no worries at all with that 600 Jim, I've owned 3 myself and all have been pretty reliable.

My favourite was also my best bangernomics success - a 620ti (the 197bhp turbocharged version) with 6 months MOT for £200. Running perfectly - a friend just needed rid sharpish.

The 600 is an excellent car, enjoy. You should be about 28-30mpg.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    CompBunny wrote: »
    My parents spent £250 on a 45,000mile K reg Vauxhall Nova 1.5TD for me when I was 16

When I knew I was getting rid of the Astra, this was one of the cars I was looking for initially(rarely come up).

Cheap tax, Novas are starting to go up in value and it would run on veg oil no problems.

My own sons 16 this year, the plan was to get it shipshape and for him to have it as his first car when he passed his test.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Merc W202 C180 (1993)

Paid £800 for it. touched up the crack in the front bumper and fixed the coolant leak (£1.47 for a new hose from MB themselves) and fitted new front pads.

Drove it for 10 months (had the tax and MOT on it) and MOT'd it just to see. Pass. No advisories at all!

Had another 8 months out of it in all conditions, treated it to an oil change and then someone bumped it in a car park and broke the exhaust. Getting it home caused melting to the bumper so wieghed in the tax and got £200 scrap. Also kept the private plate that was on it so not bad at all I thought.

30+mpg and very comfy too.

5t.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Options
    When I knew I was getting rid of the Astra, this was one of the cars I was looking for initially(rarely come up).

Cheap tax, Novas are starting to go up in value and it would run on veg oil no problems.

My own sons 16 this year, the plan was to get it shipshape and for him to have it as his first car when he passed his test.
    Aah what a lovely idea :) It really is a wonderful first car and has a bit of character as well. OH and I had a Toyota Starlet as a freebie for a short time but it blew up, and we had started to miss driving the nova already :) I'm certainly not going to scrap it, I'd rather sell it on ebay for less to know that it will be kept running in some form :rotfl:Interesting to hear about the veg oil!
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business