Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Geordie_bear
    • By Geordie_bear 18th Jan 11, 1:13 PM
    • 504Posts
    • 743Thanks
    Geordie_bear
    why are people still driving too fast?
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:13 PM
    why are people still driving too fast? 18th Jan 11 at 1:13 PM
    In an age where petrol is getting more expensive & getting the best MPG seems to be the order of the day then why is it so many people are still driving too fast?! I bet these are the same people who complain when the price of petrol goes up?! I drive at speed limits in built up areas and seldom go over 50mph on motorways & duel carriageways? So why are so many idiots still bombing around for? If your late for work then too bad you should've got up earlier & planned better!

Is anyone else seeing this familiar pattern?
Page 3
    • foofi22
    • By foofi22 18th Jan 11, 2:21 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    foofi22
    So you're now admitting that you don't do the speed limits even on a normal road? I wish you could take your driving test again because if you did 50mph in a 60 zone you would have a fail on your hands....
    Originally posted by NEH
    No you wouldn't. A speed limit is a limit, not a target.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 18th Jan 11, 2:21 PM
    • 3,371 Posts
    • 8,469 Thanks
    ska lover
    exactly, how can driving at 50mph on a motorway be dangerous?
    Originally posted by Geordie_bear
    You are one in a million for actually wanting to drive at that speed on a moterway, going too slow can be as dangerous as going too fast - For example, lorry drivers will all be sitting on their limiter of 56mph in the 'slow' lane of the moterway, that is because they drive all day every day and will sit at this speed as it is the fastest they can go. If you are sitting in the 'slow lane' in your car at 50 mph, you are forcing these out in to the middle lane - have you noticed lorries going by you? This is why.

Then you are causing a dangerous chain reaction of only the 'fast' lane being availiable to any traffic that wants to go over 56 mph, (most people on the moterway) will be trying to filter down the fast lane. If you have actually passed your driving test and are driving on motorways, I suggest you get educated before you endanger more lifes on your next stroll down the moterway - just look at the chain reaction that your actions make. If you dont feel confident to go above 50mph you should not be on a moterway in the first place - sorry.
  • mikey72
    Fair enough but I'm a firm believer that the faster you go the more stressed you become as your senses become that more alert this in turn will lead inevitably in to road rage. Do what I do listen to classic FM chill & drive slower you get better fuel economy & you arrive at your destination less stressed & a damn site more happier
    The amount of stress caused by you and me suggesting driving marginally below the speed limit is funny enough, it'll be even better when I imagine them actually stuck behind me now.
  • Inactive
    You are one in a million for actually wanting to drive at that speed on a moterway, going too slow can be as dangerous as going too fast - For example, lorry drivers will all be sitting on their limiter of 56mph in the 'slow' lane of the moterway, that is because they drive all day every day and will sit at this speed as it is the fastest they can go. If you are sitting in the 'slow lane' in your car at 50 mph, you are forcing these out in to the middle lane - have you noticed lorries going by you? This is why.

Then you are causing a dangerous chain reaction of only the 'fast' lane being availiable to any traffic that wants to go over 56 mph, (most people on the moterway) will be trying to filter down the fast lane. If you have actually passed your driving test and are driving on motorways, I suggest you get educated before you endanger more lifes on your next stroll down the moterway - just look at the chain reaction that your actions make. If you dont feel confident to go above 50mph you should not be on a moterway in the first place - sorry.
    Originally posted by ska lover
    No " slow lane " or " fast lane ".
    • NEH
    • By NEH 18th Jan 11, 2:22 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    NEH
    You'd also fail for going 85-90 in the outside lane.
    Originally posted by Gene_Hunt
    Well naturally

Quite simply, not true.
    Originally posted by Inactive
    Well someone better tell that to BSM.....If we did 10mph or more under the speed limit we were told we would fail (9not sure if it was major or minor fail) as we weren't keeping pace with traffic....
    • fozzeh
    • By fozzeh 18th Jan 11, 2:24 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    fozzeh
    Fair enough but I'm a firm believer that the faster you go the more stressed you become as your senses become that more alert this in turn will lead inevitably in to road rage. Do what I do listen to classic FM chill & drive slower you get better fuel economy & you arrive at your destination less stressed & a damn site more happier
    Now we're getting into the psychological effects and influences of music and speed. Each react in their own way.
    My reaction time is about 40ms, response time about 10ms. I listen to rock and metal on the way to work, drive between 70 and 75 and don't get "road raged".
    Saying that, I am a mear 26. If it helps you stay focussed (which it shouldn't as it is an external factor to the driving experience and should not affect the way you drive (indicating that if you need it, you are more individually prone to road rage)) then that's fine.

Right, time to finish off that can of Red Bull...
  • Gene_Hunt
    Well naturally

Originally posted by NEH
    But that's just keeping pace with the traffic and you said you needed to do that to pass.
  • Inactive
    Well naturally

Well someone better tell that to BSM.....If we did 10mph or more under the speed limit we were told we would fail as we weren't keeping pace with traffic....
    Originally posted by NEH
    Sorry, BSM do not conduct driving tests in the UK, that is down to the DSA.

It shows how rubbish BSM are.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 18th Jan 11, 2:25 PM
    • 3,371 Posts
    • 8,469 Thanks
    ska lover
    Actually, that is good advice everyone. I do find that when I set off when not in a rush, I do feel happier, less stressed and less likely to take risks.
    Originally posted by choc_mouse
    Yeah sitting listening to classic FM sounds like a whole lorra fun - snigger..
  • Gene_Hunt
    No " slow lane " or " fast lane ".

Correct.

Lane 1, lane 2....etc.
  • Gene_Hunt
    Yeah sitting listening to classic FM sounds like a whole lorra fun - snigger..
    Originally posted by ska lover
    That's a matter of opinion.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Jan 11, 2:29 PM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 22,367 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Put it this way if you drive too slowly you're not keeping pace with traffic and would fail your driving test these days....
    Originally posted by NEH
    Not just these days. I remember my driving examiner bringing that to my attention when took my test... many moons ago.
  • lovethymini
    The amount of stress caused by you and me suggesting driving marginally below the speed limit is funny enough, it'll be even better when I imagine them actually stuck behind me now.
    Originally posted by mikey72

What an inconsiderate driver you are.

• NEH
    • By NEH 18th Jan 11, 2:30 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    NEH
    But that's just keeping pace with the traffic and you said you needed to do that to pass.
    Originally posted by Gene_Hunt
    Well technically you would hope the rest of the folks out there aren't all doing 90mph....

BSM usually are rubbish but it seems other schools were saying it too, as i said i can't remember whether it would go down as minor or major but if you drove below the speed limit and you were causing a tailback then you weren't keeping pace...

Where i live now if you do 50mph or under on the 60mph road near us it cause massive tailbacks as it's a main road between two cities...Same goes for the main road down south from here, lorries that are limited to 50mph cause miles worth of tailbacks though some are good and pull over..
  • mikey72
    Now we're getting into the psychological effects and influences of music and speed. Each react in their own way.
    My reaction time is about 40ms, response time about 10ms. I listen to rock and metal on the way to work, drive between 70 and 75 and don't get "road raged".
    Saying that, I am a mear 26. If it helps you stay focussed (which it shouldn't as it is an external factor to the driving experience and should not affect the way you drive (indicating that if you need it, you are more individually prone to road rage)) then that's fine.

Right, time to finish off that can of Red Bull...
    Originally posted by fozzeh
    I always found I thought I drove better listening to "Silver Dream Racer" Then I realised it just drowned out the screams......
    I had to stop doing 75 when they put the humps on the school crossing.
  • mikey72
    What an inconsiderate driver you are.
    Originally posted by lovethymini
    No, I consider others all the time.
    Then snigger.
  • Inactive
    Well technically you would hope the rest of the folks out there aren't all doing 90mph....

BSM usually are rubbish but it seems other schools were saying it too, as i said i can't remember whether it would go down as minor or major but if you drove below the speed limit and you were causing a tailback then you weren't keeping pace...

Where i live now if you do 50mph or under on the 60mph road near us it cause massive tailbacks as it's a main road between two cities...Same goes for the main road down south from here, lorries that are limited to 50mph cause miles worth of tailbacks though some are good and pull over..
    Originally posted by NEH
    Well there is a huge difference, on their own, only a major or dangerous fault results in a fail.
  • Gene_Hunt

When did you last drive on a motorway?

How many schools did you use.

Must be massive tailbacks all the time cause not all vehicles have the same speed limit.
    Originally posted by NEH
    Well we all aren't perfect.
    • NEH
    • By NEH 18th Jan 11, 2:34 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    NEH
    Well there is a huge difference, on their own, only a major or dangerous fault results in a fail.

Well as i said it's been a few years since my test and they've changed it again last year...

Still the point is it wouldn't be looked upon favourably...
  • Gene_Hunt
    No, I consider others all the time.
    Then snigger.
    Originally posted by mikey72
    I have slow down even more when I do that, I'm almost p1$$1ng myself laughing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,145Posts Today

6,668Users online

Martin's Twitter