Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Geordie_bear
    • By Geordie_bear 18th Jan 11, 1:13 PM
    • 504Posts
    • 743Thanks
    Geordie_bear
    why are people still driving too fast?
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:13 PM
    why are people still driving too fast? 18th Jan 11 at 1:13 PM
    In an age where petrol is getting more expensive & getting the best MPG seems to be the order of the day then why is it so many people are still driving too fast?! I bet these are the same people who complain when the price of petrol goes up?! I drive at speed limits in built up areas and seldom go over 50mph on motorways & duel carriageways? So why are so many idiots still bombing around for? If your late for work then too bad you should've got up earlier & planned better!

Is anyone else seeing this familiar pattern?
Page 1
    • fozzeh
    • By fozzeh 18th Jan 11, 1:18 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    fozzeh
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:18 PM
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:18 PM
    I drive at speed limits in built up areas and seldom go over 50mph on motorways & duel carriageways?
    Originally posted by Geordie_bear
    At least some fingers can be pointed now for all those traffic jams.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 18th Jan 11, 1:20 PM
    • 4,513 Posts
    • 4,082 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:20 PM
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:20 PM
    There's a bit of a sweeping generalisation. Personally I don't go quite as far as "50 on a motorway", but I do try my best to drive economically.

I suppose there are still a fair number of drivers on the road who aren't paying for their petrol ( as in salesmen or others who get it paid for by their employer, rather than stealing it ! ). And I reckon the sort of person that drives a 40 - or - 50 thousand pound car isn't overly concerned by the running costs. I may be wrong, of course ....
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 18-01-2011 at 1:24 PM.
  • Gene_Hunt
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:21 PM
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:21 PM
    Originally posted by fozzeh
    Why at 50 even the trucks can pass.
    • Geordie_bear
    • By Geordie_bear 18th Jan 11, 1:27 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    Geordie_bear
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:27 PM
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:27 PM
    not at all if everyone drove at 50 mph & if people left a good gap for the car in front then everyone would get to their destinations sooner & they'd be no accelerate/break chain reaction which causes traffic jams. People need to see the bigger picture!
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 18th Jan 11, 1:28 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,037 Thanks
    cubegame
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:28 PM
    I would say driving at 50mph on a dual carriageway or motorway is dangerous. It's practically driving without due care.
  • gazza975526570
    not at all if everyone drove at 50 mph & if people left a good gap for the car in front then everyone would get to their destinations sooner & they'd be no accelerate/break chain reaction which causes traffic jams. People need to see the bigger picture!
    What - even on an empty motorway.

Car A doing 50

Car B doing 70

Who will get there first? Hmmmm.
    • Geordie_bear
    • By Geordie_bear 18th Jan 11, 1:30 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    Geordie_bear
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:30 PM
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:30 PM
    What - even on an empty motorway.

Car A doing 50

Car B doing 70

Who will get there first? Hmmmm.
    Originally posted by gazza975526570
    how many empty motorways do you see in rush hour?
    • tidus
    • By tidus 18th Jan 11, 1:31 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    tidus
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:31 PM
    • 18th Jan 11, 1:31 PM
    This is true on congested motorways be not really generally. My commute to work takes about 1/2 hour on good clear days. It takes about 40 minutes when its raining, or dark. Why? because people are driving more slowly.
    • Geordie_bear
    • By Geordie_bear 18th Jan 11, 1:33 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    Geordie_bear
    I would say driving at 50mph on a dual carriageway or motorway is dangerous. It's practically driving without due care.
    Originally posted by cubegame
    how? I drive in the inside lane if people want to overtake then go ahead. If you want to drive faster then so be it but don't complain when petrol prices go up!
    • benjus
    • By benjus 18th Jan 11, 1:34 PM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    benjus
    I hate driving on duel carriageways. Every time I go on one, an old American gas truck comes up behind me and starts bumping me.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • choc_mouse
    I think there are many reasons. At least you answered my question to "why are people driving so slow?"

I think drivers should keep to within +/- 10% of the speed limit where possible. If you go too slowly you're not in sync with other traffic. This causes traffic flow problems and increases the danger someone behind you not being able to stop in time due to the speed differential. I think you can fail a driving test for driving too slowly.
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 18th Jan 11, 1:37 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 6,188 Thanks
    bap98189
    Originally posted by cubegame
    Get real. Most lorries are doing that speed and nobody complains they are dangerous.
    • Geordie_bear
    • By Geordie_bear 18th Jan 11, 1:37 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    Geordie_bear
    I think there are many reasons. At least you answered my question to "why are people driving so slow?"

I think drivers should keep to within +/- 10% of the speed limit where possible. If you go too slowly you're not in sync with other traffic. This causes traffic flow problems and increases the danger someone behind you not being able to stop in time due to the speed differential. I think you can fail a driving test for driving too slowly.
    Originally posted by choc_mouse
    when the road is clear I do sometimes venture in to the 60mph catergory so yes I'm in agreement here, however in congestion hot spots 50mph whilst leaving decent gaps should be the order of the day
    • NEH
    • By NEH 18th Jan 11, 1:37 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    NEH
    Put it this way if you drive too slowly you're not keeping pace with traffic and would fail your driving test these days....
    • Geordie_bear
    • By Geordie_bear 18th Jan 11, 1:38 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    Geordie_bear
    Get real. Most lorries are doing that speed and nobody complains they are dangerous.
    Originally posted by bap98189
    exactly, how can driving at 50mph on a motorway be dangerous?
    • Geordie_bear
    • By Geordie_bear 18th Jan 11, 1:42 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    Geordie_bear
    Put it this way if you drive too slowly you're not keeping pace with traffic and would fail your driving test these days....
    Originally posted by NEH
    how many driving tests involve motorway driving it's my understanding that you can't drive on motorways until you pass your test
    • NEH
    • By NEH 18th Jan 11, 1:44 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    NEH
    how many driving tests involve motorway driving it's my understanding that you can't drive on motorways until you pass your test

I was talking about motorways i was just saying on ordinary roads and the principle could be applied the same....
    • fozzeh
    • By fozzeh 18th Jan 11, 1:46 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    fozzeh
    Originally posted by bap98189
    I hope that post has more sarcasm in it than you hopefully intended (if you say yes now, you won't look like so much of a fool).

It's all cause and effect.
    Car A = 50mph.
    Car B = doing 65 mph in lane 1, pulls into lane 2
    Car C = Doing 70mph in lane 2, pulls into lane 3.

Car D = 60mph in lane 1.
    Car E = doing 65mpg in lane 2 but car D is doing 60 there so pulls into lane 3.
    Car F = doing 70mph in lane 3 but has to break as car E is doing less.

Repeat to the factor of 100...there you go.
  • choc_mouse
    Car E = doing 65mpg in lane 2 but car D is doing 60 there so pulls into lane 3.
    Car E is quite efficient
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,228Posts Today

5,932Users online

Martin's Twitter