Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Liquorice Twirls
    • By Liquorice Twirls 29th Nov 08, 7:15 PM
    • 326Posts
    • 531Thanks
    Liquorice Twirls
    0 WOW
    What's the strangest "substitute" item you've been offered on your home delivery?
    • 29th Nov 08, 7:15 PM
    0 WOW
    What's the strangest "substitute" item you've been offered on your home delivery? 29th Nov 08 at 7:15 PM
    Mine was -

I ordered 12 tins of Whiskas cat food from Asda and it was substituted with 12 tins of Pedigree Chum (dog food)!!

What were they thinking?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 17-02-2009 at 6:28 PM.
Page 2
    • oliveoyl
    • By oliveoyl 30th Nov 08, 10:23 AM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 107,548 Thanks
    oliveoyl
    Many years ago I worked in an office which had a young lad that used to make the tea/run errands etc. One of his daily tasks was to go to the sandwich shop for everybody's lunch. He wasn't very bright so we all wrote down our food order for him just to hand over the counter. One time when he came back he plonked a cup of hot chicken soup in front of me... I hadn't ordered soup so checked with everyone else that it wasn't theirs before asking him... I'd ordered a jam doughnut but they'd ran out, so he got me chicken soup instead

Having read this thread, I think I know where he's working now!
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!
    • seabiscuit
    • By seabiscuit 30th Nov 08, 10:42 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    seabiscuit
    Like another poster, I ordered nappies, only they delivered newborn size - not very good for a 2 year old toddler
    See the stars they’re shining bright
    Everything’s alright tonight
    • Myrtle
    • By Myrtle 30th Nov 08, 10:57 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    Myrtle
    I ordered a poppy seed loaf and was sent a bag of poppy seeds! The funniest thing was how Customer Services defended this sub. Oh yes I'm sure my kids would like a sprinkle of poppy seeds for lunch instead of a sandwich!
    Last edited by Myrtle; 30-11-2008 at 3:42 PM. Reason: Spelingg!
    • madmum33
    • By madmum33 30th Nov 08, 11:29 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    madmum33
    I ordered sausage rolls and got fresh sausages - not much good for lunch boxes!

I get some strange things from Asda - ordered two salmon fillets and got a huge bag of smoked haddock - it wasn't even classed as a substitute and it cost me a fortune! I sent it back. The following delivery I didn't order any fish yet they sent another huge bag of smoked haddock, not on my invoice so I kept it and thoroughly enjoyed it! lol
    • mrcol
    • By mrcol 30th Nov 08, 12:13 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    mrcol
    The wife ordered some Tampax, the substitute was Twix bars.

Think of the mess
  • specsappeal
    Hi all!
    I once ordered coleslaw and this was substituted with toilet roll ????:confused: . Even the customer services couldn't figure that one out
    • x__Indigo_x
    • By x__Indigo_x 30th Nov 08, 1:06 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    x__Indigo_x
    not really answering the topic but do u have to pay for a substitue???x
    I am a full time Benefit and Money Adviser for a leading non profit charity and I LOVE my job <3
    Comments posted on this forum do not reflect the views of my employer

Please note forum police I suffer from dyslexia so my spelling and grammar can be dreadful- sorry but I cant help it!
  • lappish22
    I ordered with Asda (my first home delivery Asda shop) two advent calendars.
    One for my daughter, which was fine, and ordered Simpsons for my 12 year old son. Unfortunately he got Mr Men!!!!! not impressed with that in his bedroom when his mates come round!!!!
    • BettiePage
    • By BettiePage 30th Nov 08, 2:30 PM
    • 4,483 Posts
    • 10,310 Thanks
    BettiePage
    How is this a shop but don't drop thread?
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
  • PixiePie
    not really answering the topic but do u have to pay for a substitue???x
    Originally posted by x__Indigo_x
    Yes, they charge your card for the substitute and if you don't want it, refund it after they take it back. I wonder why they keep substituting for higher cost items?

My weird subs are a pack of 200 cigs instead of one pack of 10 (see above for explanation!) and some fish instead of a leg of lamb. Bizarre (but not as good as the twix/tampax sub hehe)
    Do not feed the trolls please.
    • Princess Coupon
    • By Princess Coupon 30th Nov 08, 3:00 PM
    • 3,592 Posts
    • 21,457 Thanks
    Princess Coupon
    I have had a bag of ice cubes instead of an iceburg lettuce from Asda
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven

• mick10101
    Last Xmas we ordered a 16lb turkey form Tesco, we were sent a Bernard Matthews Turkey roast joint thing 750 grams
    (I have not got a beer gut, its a fuel tank for a love machine)
  • WJk
    Not strange but 2 years ago, I thought I was soo organised by booking a Tesco delivery the day before Christmas Eve. I ordered one of their largest iced Christmas cakes in a tin but was sustituted with two slices of Christmas cake instead.

So much for trying to avoid the last minute supermarket Christmas rush
    :rolleyes:
  • Caramelapplebetty
    I ordered three jars of Homepride Chilli Sauce (on 3 for 2) got three jars of honey - Sainsburys
  • Dramatic Star
    No strange substitues for me. But thanks OP, this thread made me giggle!
    • Wolfsbayne
    • By Wolfsbayne 30th Nov 08, 3:52 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Wolfsbayne
    Asda always pricematch substitutions for me, ive never had to pay extra. The subs I received yesterday would have cost me £15 more but the bill was kept the same. I think Tesco and Sainsburys charge for them though.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 30th Nov 08, 3:53 PM
    • 4,457 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    I think I have worked out the computer algorithm they must use...

1. Find one matching word in the description and substitute at random
    2. Failing that, match first two letters of a word and substitute at random
    3. Failing that, match first and last letter of one word and sustitute at random
    4. Failing that, substitute at random

Always remember three golden rules when sustituting:
    1. Ignore Weight
    2. Ignore Cost
    3. Ignore Product Type
    Any opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
    • paulo1888
    • By paulo1888 30th Nov 08, 4:44 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    paulo1888
    Strange Substitute
    I ordered Ruskoline fish dressing and recieved a tub of fish food. You know the kind that swim around a tank. Didn't realise until the man had left. He never said at the time it was a substitute but it was detailed on the Asda delivery note. Any before anyone asks, no I didn't try it on my Haddock.
  • mookiandco
    I ordered a pack of 4 still waters from Asda and I got.....A bottle of smart price white rum! Think my OH drank it.

I am pregnant so ordered some ginger nuts last week to help with morning sickness and I got .......Chocolate chip cookies (didnt help with the morning sickness but yummy all the same) and they also threw in 2 leeks and a 4 pack of pepsi max just for fun!

I quite like the excitement of my asda online shop...you never know what your going to get!!!
    Proud Mummy to Leila aged 1 whole year
    • saxonrosecliff
    • By saxonrosecliff 30th Nov 08, 6:36 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 1,025 Thanks
    saxonrosecliff
    I once ordered apricot facial scrub and got sent a packet of dried apricots. I suppose I could have made the scrub myself!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,729Posts Today

6,717Users online

Martin's Twitter