Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Liquorice Twirls
    • By Liquorice Twirls 29th Nov 08, 7:15 PM
    • 326Posts
    • 531Thanks
    Liquorice Twirls
    0 WOW
    What's the strangest "substitute" item you've been offered on your home delivery?
    • 29th Nov 08, 7:15 PM
    0 WOW
    What's the strangest "substitute" item you've been offered on your home delivery? 29th Nov 08 at 7:15 PM
    Mine was -

I ordered 12 tins of Whiskas cat food from Asda and it was substituted with 12 tins of Pedigree Chum (dog food)!!

What were they thinking?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 17-02-2009 at 6:28 PM.
Page 19
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 15th Apr 15, 9:29 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    So do you all leave the driver on the doorstep while you check everything off the list? As I said I did wonder why he seemed to want to hang around (maybe he was just after my stunning company?!!) but thought he was just waiting for a tip which I gather isn't the norm anyway. I wouldn't want to keep him waiting as I'm sure he has targets like 10 drops an hour or something, like the postman.

I've only done this online shopping lark the once and it seems full of potential pitfalls!

Liz
    Originally posted by Eliza
    If there are any substitutions they will be at the top of the receipt and in a seperate bag anyway so you can check them off first and give back to driver if needed. I normally then do a quick check of the rest for damages and tell the drivers its all OK.
    • neneromanova
    • By neneromanova 15th Apr 15, 1:46 PM
    • 2,947 Posts
    • 6,917 Thanks
    neneromanova
    Tesco apparently didn't have the 2 400g chicken breast packs I wanted, so they sent the 2 400g pack of chicken breast with 4 packs of 200g chicken breast packs... we both laughed at that. He said you may as well keep them as they'd just get thrown out when he got back.
    DD1 Born 31st March 2008
    DD2 Born 29th August 2010
    DS1 Born 28th October 2013
    Got Married 15th September 2012 Now Mrs Clark

• robbies_gal
    • By robbies_gal 7th Jun 15, 10:31 PM
    • 7,678 Posts
    • 152,139 Thanks
    robbies_gal
    so apprently asda bosses are blaming the staff for all the sub errors-charming
    What goes around-comes around
    • Mrs Soup
    • By Mrs Soup 8th Jun 15, 4:25 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    Mrs Soup
    We have our tesco order without bags so the delivery driver comes and stands in the kitchen while we haul everything out of the crates (some of them help). We have most of our order flagged as no substitutes except for very generic things like bread, butter and milk. Substitutes are listed separately and bagged separately so you can reject or accept them easily. We don't tip.
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 9th Jun 15, 6:27 PM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 30,133 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    Not a strange sub but I did get a free pizza in today's delivery
    • alsibk
    • By alsibk 24th Nov 15, 11:34 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    alsibk
    Tesco LOL
    I was told by the delivery man that the chap in charge of substitutions is very proud of his substitutions algorithm.

This was because I had queried the substitution of semi skimmed for skimmed.

It's been beaten today by my order for 2 packs of household candles (we live with power cuts) being substituted with birthday cake candles.

But I can't beat the Tampax/Twix one!
    • LplateSaver
    • By LplateSaver 25th Nov 15, 1:02 AM
    • 350 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    LplateSaver
    I used to be vegan and ordered soya milk with my ASDA delivery. They were out of soya so decided I was lactose intolerant and gave me that milk instead.
    • clumsy_cupcake
    • By clumsy_cupcake 25th Nov 15, 9:47 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    clumsy_cupcake
    Last year Tesco substituted frozen chicken breast for a pack of frozen samosas. Not quite sure how they expected me to make chicken pasta?? 😂
    Mummy to a beautiful little girl

£2014 in 2014 challenge. £71/£2014
    • toniq
    • By toniq 4th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 28,662 Posts
    • 637,936 Thanks
    toniq
    A few years ago we ordered birthday cake candles for my son who then was due to turn 17, we ordered the 1 and 7, they sent the 7 but substituted the 1 for a 0.

When queried with cs it took them a minute or two for the penny to drop for them as to why the sub was useless.

We stuck 70 on is cake as that's what tescos sent so therefore he was 70 for a day.
    #JusticeForGrenfell
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 4th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 4,853 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    I have easter eggs on the Tesco offer today.....they didn't have the medium eggs I ordered so they sent two small ones for each egg ordered. I have a lot of children/ friends children and nieces and nephews to buy for but instead of 20 eggs I now have 40! This is one occasion when I would have been more han happy to have had a sub for another egg which they did have in medium!!
  • archived user
    My friend's mum ordered some jelly to make trifle. Got a tin of dog food in jelly.

Surely they didn't have a different flavour or Hartley's jelly crystals.
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 6th Mar 17, 4:37 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    fatbeetle
    Many years ago I worked in an office which had a young lad that used to make the tea/run errands etc. One of his daily tasks was to go to the sandwich shop for everybody's lunch. He wasn't very bright so we all wrote down our food order for him just to hand over the counter. One time when he came back he plonked a cup of hot chicken soup in front of me... I hadn't ordered soup so checked with everyone else that it wasn't theirs before asking him... I'd ordered a jam doughnut but they'd ran out, so he got me chicken soup instead
    Originally posted by oliveoyl
    Reading this thread for giggles when I came on this story. When I was an apprentice we had another lad there who was equally "capable".

One of the workers Dai, told him; "I'll have 20 Embassy, if they don't have Embassy get me anything."

They didn't have Embassy.

He got a meat pie.

The apprentice got a slapping.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
    • astrid35
    • By astrid35 13th Mar 17, 5:14 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 2,261 Thanks
    astrid35
    I ordered gammon and got salmon. It must have been rhyming replacements day!
    DFBXmas2015 #5 £4405.82/£4405.82 (100%)
    Emergency Fund Challenge #89 £1000/£1000 (100%)
    • sexylulubelle
    • By sexylulubelle 14th Mar 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 3,215 Thanks
    sexylulubelle
    Lol came across this thread and it really made me laugh I've had a few strange subs.. but the one that sticks in my mind is a sweet pastry case I had ordered from tesco they did not have these available so they substituted it with a tin of peaches? Lol all I could think was they both start with P
    LOVE isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live WITHOUT
    • alanq
    • By alanq 4th May 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    alanq
    A Which? magazine report on the subject.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/03/13-of-the-worst-supermarket-substitution-fails-revealed/
    • Huskydays
    • By Huskydays 5th May 17, 7:17 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    Huskydays
    A Which? magazine report on the subject.
    Originally posted by alanq
    Tbf, I can see the logic in #3

My worst was 25l bin bags in replacement of nappy bags (which I use for the dog), although it would have made the dog walks much more interesting, I decided to reject that one! I haven't used home delivery in a while though since they started sending me short dated produce. How on earth they thought I would get through two chickens and a kilo of carrots with one day on the use by/best before date is beyond me!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,279Posts Today

8,214Users online

Martin's Twitter