Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 5,229Posts
    • 46,876Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning
    • 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning 3rd May 18 at 9:50 AM
    Good morning everyone,

I've had a bit of a break from the forums over the past couple of months, but today seems like a good time to come back on here and to start a new diary. An awful lot has changed in my life over the past couple of weeks and it's going to take some time and effort to adjust, and more than ever I need the support and accountability of being on here to keep me on the straight and narrow as far as my finances are concerned.
    I hope that some of my usual bunch have followed me to this diary, and welcome to anyone new that might be reading. I need all of the help and support that I can get...
    NST December #2 NSD = 4
    I am honestly trying my best
Page 96
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Nov 19, 7:42 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 46,876 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Where has my weekend gone??? I don't want to go back to school tomorrow
    Never mind. It's been marginally productive. I was in town with dd for just over an hour yesterday, it was after 3pm before my head cleared enough for me to go out. Lots of liquid (thanks nat) and lots of paracetamol. I completely agree about dressing gown colours for boys f0xh0les. I did end up getting a fleecy one from Primarni mens section (so I'm pleased to hear they're ok joey) - but the only choices were navy, burgundy or grey. Bit disappointing but I will bear in mind women's for the future.
    Also got some clothes for dd to put away from Christmas, and something for dd to give to her brother for Christmas as well. I'm very slowly getting there. Also booked an appointment for dd to get her hair highlighted as a further Christmas gift. She's going to have very little on the day itself but her beauty regime costs a packet, and hair and nails right before Christmas is 100 so that will use up all the money I get from my parents to buy stuff for her.
    Today has been a quieter day - went tutoring *much needed* then went to my mam's for lunch and catch up. I'm a bit worried about her actually - her physical health isn't great and it's starting to impact on her mentally. Plus she retires in a fortnight, and whilst outwardly she's really excited about it - I do wonder if there are some nerves about what might happen next, after she's worked for the past 50 years... I will make sure I contact her regularly during the week just to check on her. She keeps apologising to me but has absolutely nothing to apologise for.
    Spent this afternoon tidying, respraying the house with flea treatment and doing a bit of crochet. DS has just asked me to crochet a poppy for tomorrow *eyeroll* - leaving it until the last possible minute. So I'd better get on.
    NST December #2 NSD = 4
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Nov 19, 8:14 PM
    • 67,755 Posts
    • 307,953 Thanks
    beanielou
    Maybe your mum will be like mine & have a wee part time job. My mum loves it. She had to retire at 60 & now many many years later is still enjoying her wee part time job & it pays for her trips & holidays!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 15 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • janb5
    • By janb5 11th Nov 19, 1:17 AM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 7,263 Thanks
    janb5
    Just wondering whether DD could go to the local college and have her hair/ nails done at a much reduced rate? They are heavily supervised and this might be a fun thing to do in the holidays?
    Last edited by janb5; 11-11-2019 at 11:16 PM.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Nov 19, 6:53 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 46,876 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello
    Just a quickie from me tonight. It's been a busy day at work, and I need to be getting on with crochet - time is ticking on towards Christmas and I have gifts to make and not much time to make them in.
    Not a great sleep unfortunately and I'm struggling to get up in the morning as well now that the dark mornings have set in a bit. Mind you work time seems to have flown over today. I've been quite productive and gotten lots done - and its another day closer to Christmas holidays.
    Bagged another nsd - mainly due to necessity rather than choice but I will take all that I can get.
    Nothing else to report - trying to catch up with my mam to find out how she got on at the doctors but she hasn't replied so far.
    Thanks for the idea about the college - I will look into it, but I have no idea if dd will take the risk. We actually have a hairdressing course in school - it's new this year and I know very little about it but definitely will go and investigate.
    NST December #2 NSD = 4
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Nov 19, 7:41 PM
    • 2,709 Posts
    • 25,217 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Ooh, yes the college thing is a good idea. You get a cut and colour for about 6 or something ridiculous, and they are supervised by the course leader, so not much can go drastically wrong. I know a lot of people who go to theirs for hair cuts, nails, waxing (!) and beauty. It is like 'danger pampering' your new extreme sport.
    MFW#65 5/16 118,3 10/17109,4 12/17 108,85/18106,9 6/18105,9, 8/18103,9 9/18102,9 10/18101,9 11/18101,3 12/18100,7 1/19 99,999 1/3 98,91/4 98,5 1/5 97,9 1/6 97,5 1/8 96,5 1/9 95,9.1/10 95,51/1194,999.99L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • janb5
    • By janb5 11th Nov 19, 11:19 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 7,263 Thanks
    janb5
    They are seriously good CCL and she could always visit the college and speak to the staff. She wouldn`t be the first one who was worried!

They do use good products too!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Nov 19, 6:03 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 46,876 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I am absolutely serious when I say that bears have the right idea in life. Spend the entire summer eating anything and everything and getting hugely fat, then sleeping it off for a few months. I have zero motivation to get much done at the minute and I just feel so very tired all of the time. Anyway - another day down and another day closer to hols.
    Anyway, I got into a minor ketchup crisis today when ds informed me this morning that there was no ketchup left in the house and he wouldn't be able to eat anything this evening unless we got some more. I did remind him that as the only ketchup eater in the house then it was his responsibility to tell me when we needed more, but obviously it was still my fault that there was none left. So after another busy and generally unfulfilling day at work today we had to come home via L1dl to do a top up shop, which I am secretly hoping will actually be the weekly shop, but that may be hoping too much. Went in with a list, which included items for my form class reverse advent calendar. We are putting items into a box to donate to the food bank in December. DS was mortified that I chose to buy sanitary products, and he added a jar of chocolate spread to the basket for a food bank too. I had a little think and figured that if I were a woman needing to use a food bank then I would be happy with sanitary towels and chocolate spread. I always think stuff like nappies and sanitary stuff gets overlooked but it is costly.
    Work was ok, but it's very obvious that everyone is tired and nobody can be bothered - staff or students. I'm fine - just not well motivated at the moment.
    Anyway, I'm home now, drying washing and getting ready to get on with the non ending crochet list. My sister's scarf still isn't even headband size yet.
    NST December #2 NSD = 4
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 13th Nov 19, 9:49 AM
    • 2,709 Posts
    • 25,217 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Oh dear! Ketchup crisis!! Funny what they see as an essential.

Thank you for the food bank donation. With us it is crazy busy already. Shudder to think what it is going to be like post-Christmas and post-election. Things like loo roll often get overlooked, but we have lots of toothpaste and shampoo and conditioner, nappies can be hit or miss as they come in so many different sizes. The choc spread will go to a family with kids, I would say, well, it would with us. You did a very nice thing. Yay to you! even if you feel pants. Not sure your cats would approve of the bear plan though.
    MFW#65 5/16 118,3 10/17109,4 12/17 108,85/18106,9 6/18105,9, 8/18103,9 9/18102,9 10/18101,9 11/18101,3 12/18100,7 1/19 99,999 1/3 98,91/4 98,5 1/5 97,9 1/6 97,5 1/8 96,5 1/9 95,9.1/10 95,51/1194,999.99L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Nov 19, 5:00 PM
    • 5,535 Posts
    • 34,000 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I think tampons & other personal hygiene items are very gratefully received by local food banks, CCL. It must be soul destroying for people not to be able to keep themselves clean with simple basics like shampoo, soap, toothpaste & deodorant. I always aim to include these basics when I put a bag of donations together - our local Labour Party branch collects bags of food & toiletries for the town food bank so we contribute to that. I also like to pop mini-eggs in or nets of chocolate coins at Christmas, as I think it must be heartbreaking not to be able to provide a few treats. What a world we live in! The UK is the 5th richest country in the world. Disgraceful that food banks are our only growth industry at the moment. I often include a tin of cat food too - I'd be so upset if I was unable to feed my cat.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 227
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Nov 19, 5:34 PM
    • 67,755 Posts
    • 307,953 Thanks
    beanielou
    I think tampons & other personal hygiene items are very gratefully received by local food banks, CCL. It must be soul destroying for people not to be able to keep themselves clean with simple basics like shampoo, soap, toothpaste & deodorant. I always aim to include these basics when I put a bag of donations together - our local Labour Party branch collects bags of food & toiletries for the town food bank so we contribute to that. I also like to pop mini-eggs in or nets of chocolate coins at Christmas, as I think it must be heartbreaking not to be able to provide a few treats. What a world we live in! The UK is the 5th richest country in the world. Disgraceful that food banks are our only growth industry at the moment. I often include a tin of cat food too - I'd be so upset if I was unable to feed my cat.
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Some clients are more worried about their pets than themselves.
    Most foodbanks, especially independents are run by volunteers.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 13th Nov 19, 8:31 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    The foodbank I support in town has put out an appeal for food items that don't need to be heated, or just need a kettle due to fuel poverty. Given how cold it's becoming, that's so sad.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Nov 19, 8:43 PM
    • 67,755 Posts
    • 307,953 Thanks
    beanielou
    The foodbank I support in town has put out an appeal for food items that don't need to be heated, or just need a kettle due to fuel poverty. Given how cold it's becoming, that's so sad.
    Originally posted by joeyjimbles
    Yes, its sad & sadly in this day & age the reality for many including the working poor who are often forgotten.

***Keep plodding***
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Nov 19, 8:38 AM
    • 2,878 Posts
    • 23,942 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good on you CCL for putting time and money aside to help those in need. Inspiring actually.

Hope you feel a bit more like yourself soon.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Nov 19, 9:52 AM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 46,876 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I have to say it's actually my form class that are the most inspiring. I teach in a seriously deprived area myself, and suspect that I have kids in front of me every day whose family rely on food banks, but they are rallying round and bringing in whatever they can to fill the box up. Given that these kids are 12 or 13 years old I am very proud of them. I have to confess though, I hadn't thought about loo roll and that would be a massive crisis, so I will buy some next time we're out. I didn't know that food banks also took pet food, and I have some cans of cat food that none of mine will entertain at all so I'll bring them in for the box as well.
    I am also incredibly proud that my form class won the inter-form competition about issues that are important to them in Parliament. We had to pick issues that are important to young people and discuss why they are important and what the government could do to solve the problems. My lovely lot have tackled homelessness, knife crime, single use plastics and improving mental health services. They are quite disappointed that the prize is some bunting for my classroom, but I have explained to them that the greater prize is empathy and understanding, and realising the importance of having a say on issues that are important to them.
    Anyway, other than that, life continues in the same vein. I am tired and want to sleep all of the time. Work will not allow that - nor will the kids or cats. Plus we have norovirus sweeping through my school and kids and staff are dropping at a mega rate. We managed to avoid it last half term when it hit ds school - I really hope we miss it again. I couldn't be doing with norovirus on top of financial struggles, motivational struggles and a flea infestation.
    NST December #2 NSD = 4
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 14th Nov 19, 3:05 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 12,398 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Sounds like you have a lovely form group CCL. We put a few items in the foodbank box when we go, I often put in a jar of coffee, a bag of porridge oats and a bottle of squash. I hadn't thought about loo rolls or toiletries.

I hope you manage to stay clear of the norovirus too.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 14th Nov 19, 6:47 PM
    • 2,709 Posts
    • 25,217 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Ooh no! Keep well away from that norovirus nonsense, nobody needs that right now.

We were busy from the minute we opened the f/b to the closing time today. Never stopped filling bags for a second, there was always one more slip that came down just as we thought we had finished. We have started to get fresh fruit and veg and bread as well, donated straight from the supermarket or F4reshare for people to take.

I bet there are kids in your class whose parents are using the foodbank. You can't stereotype who uses them, as honestly you get every type of person coming in, but the kids who have just left care and are trying to live on their 41 a week break my heart. Whoever decided that you can charge more money for gas and electric on a key/card meter was an absolute immoral animal - we have rented in houses with them and it is daylight robbery.

Fuel poverty needs to be addressed.

We had one family of 5 who only had a kettle and a microwave. We often get young men in who only have a kettle. That is when you have to get a bit creative and end up running all over the warehouse looking for bits and bobs and things you can eat cold, like joey says.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Nov 19, 7:46 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 46,876 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I will check in properly tomorrow lovely people - I am just too tired tonight to do anything other than find something decent to watch on the box and sleep. Full supply of cosy blankets and cats - at least I'm used to the flea bites now.
    It's been a busy and emotional bit of a week so I'm hoping for and really looking forward to a lie in tomorrow. I have hair appointments for all 3 of us, and some exam related work to be getting on with so I need a bit of down time tonight.
    Just also thinking that there aren't too many more weekends until Christmas so I really ought to be getting on with sorting through the present stash and wrapping stuff up. Time is really flying by (unless I think about my house and financial situation so I won't)
    NST December #2 NSD = 4
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 16th Nov 19, 8:49 AM
    • 2,625 Posts
    • 13,807 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Just popping to give you a hug and say thank you.

I am so impressed with you keeping on top of the Christmas preparations despite a demanding job, house to run, family to love and care for, it's inspiring me to get somethings sorted, I may even wrap the presents we already have.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 16th Nov 19, 9:13 AM
    • 15,984 Posts
    • 55,823 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Ooh no! Keep well away from that norovirus nonsense, nobody needs that right now.

We were busy from the minute we opened the f/b to the closing time today. Never stopped filling bags for a second, there was always one more slip that came down just as we thought we had finished. We have started to get fresh fruit and veg and bread as well, donated straight from the supermarket or F4reshare for people to take.

I bet there are kids in your class whose parents are using the foodbank. You can't stereotype who uses them, as honestly you get every type of person coming in, but the kids who have just left care and are trying to live on their 41 a week break my heart. Whoever decided that you can charge more money for gas and electric on a key/card meter was an absolute immoral animal - we have rented in houses with them and it is daylight robbery.

Fuel poverty needs to be addressed.

We had one family of 5 who only had a kettle and a microwave. We often get young men in who only have a kettle. That is when you have to get a bit creative and end up running all over the warehouse looking for bits and bobs and things you can eat cold, like joey says.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    That and Joey Jimbles post made me cry. What is going on in this country? 6 or 7th biggest economy in the world and we have food banks everywhere. And people are desperate. It is wrong. Utterly and totally.
    Debt Free as of 26/07/19 (third time is the charm!) Now paying myself back all my savings! Target 1= 5226/5000 (across all accounts achieved until Christmas) Avoiding the CC!
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 16th Nov 19, 9:16 AM
    • 15,984 Posts
    • 55,823 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    CCL - my form keep me sane, they are lovely kids and really try and work hard in some times crappy circumstances. The kids definitely make the job.

Hope you have a good weekend XX
    Debt Free as of 26/07/19 (third time is the charm!) Now paying myself back all my savings! Target 1= 5226/5000 (across all accounts achieved until Christmas) Avoiding the CC!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

3,880Users online

Martin's Twitter