Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:19 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:19 PM
    Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Eon

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 1:59 PM.
Page 76
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 3rd Nov 19, 4:48 PM
    • 5,053 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    Smodlet
    One thing I have noticed, being a relatively new Eon customer, is that every time I send meter readings, the botty algorithm thing tries to change my DD amount to what it "thinks" it should be. The algorithmbot thing has no idea what I usually spend on energy; I do, having decades of experience (and taking into account fluctuating rates; I've already done those calculations)

I am not prepared to increase my DD amount so I accumulate more and more credit whilst already in credit by more than one month's payment. Why should I? I am just waiting for the day Eon increase my DD because they think my account balance will go into debit. So what if it does? It's winter! (Or it darned well feels like it here) So what if my account goes into the red in the cold half of the year?

Either it will right itself in the Spring or I will pay the shortfall. Why should Eon earn the interest on my credit balance instead of me?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • luv_my_brass
    • By luv_my_brass 3rd Nov 19, 5:36 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    luv_my_brass
    My sister has now received a bill for £750 and I think this is wrong. It has taken 2 years to sort out this problem, 2 years of stress to an ill and elderly person. They should be writing off this bill AND compensating her.
    if i had known then what i know now
    • luv_my_brass
    • By luv_my_brass 3rd Nov 19, 5:41 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    luv_my_brass
    One thing I have noticed, being a relatively new Eon customer, is that every time I send meter readings, the botty algorithm thing tries to change my DD amount to what it "thinks" it should be. The algorithmbot thing has no idea what I usually spend on energy; I do, having decades of experience (and taking into account fluctuating rates; I've already done those calculations)

I am not prepared to increase my DD amount so I accumulate more and more credit whilst already in credit by more than one month's payment. Why should I? I am just waiting for the day Eon increase my DD because they think my account balance will go into debit. So what if it does? It's winter! (Or it darned well feels like it here) So what if my account goes into the red in the cold half of the year?

Either it will right itself in the Spring or I will pay the shortfall. Why should Eon earn the interest on my credit balance instead of me?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Because this is what they do I am currently with Bristol Energy, and originally they had a graph which showed how much you were paying compared to how much (less) you could be paying. The graph has disappeared as they said folk got confused with it - when in fact,they understood it only too well
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 3rd Nov 19, 7:09 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    PennineAcute

Yes, I set mine according to the DD calculation of my spreadsheet and update it montly.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Monthly Direct Debit
    Thanks for this, Malc.

My WHD has now been paid into my account, so my account is well in credit.

Just a query, as I keep track of everything on my spreadsheet, I have a near spot on value of what my credit is at any time and how much I will approxiamtely have to pay up and to the tariff end day.

As things stand, at the moment (taking into consideration that my WHD has been paid) I have apprxoimately £120 left to pay. My Student money is due within the next couple of weeks. So what would happen if I set up a direct debit back up (to get the lower prices) and then pay off the £120. Would my DD be set to zero and be readjusted if my estimate is out, or is there a minimum figure that the DD has to be?
    Originally posted by PennineAcute
    Yes, I set mine according to the DD calculation of my spreadsheet and update it montly.
    Originally posted by PennineAcute

Morning PennineAcute and good news on the Warm Home Discount. Glad you've received your payment.

You can set up a new Monthly Direct Debit now and pay the lower charges. We'll set the payments based on these lower prices and how much energy you've used over the past 12-18 months. Our aim is to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the annual review.

It's possible to make one-off payments if you wish. We'll re-calculate the monthly amount as above as we look for a zero balance. We carry out quarterly reviews to make sure accounts are on track for this. Changes are only made at the 6 and 12 month reviews. At the other times, we'll let you know if we think your payments should change and leave it up to you make any amendments.

These changes can be done on our website through your online account. Also online, you can use the Direct Debit Manager to keep on top of things and, if necessary, change the monthly payments (up and down) to match different circumstances.

Hope this explains PennineAcute. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    E.ON Complaint
    Hi Malc

I raised it via the executive office so unless there is somewhere higher I guess Iíll have to wait ! Iíll chase it next week as conscious itís been half term etc

This wrong wording is still going out to customers despite the exec office and of course yourself and the relevant areas knowing itís outright wrong and misleading .... tells me all I need to know about eon and once my contracts up itís unlikely Iíll ever return .
    Originally posted by Greenenergy

Totally understand Greenenergy.

The advisor looking after your complaint will let you know the situation. If they're unable to resolve it, they'll advise about the Energy Ombudsman as I mentioned on Friday.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Hello Smodlet and don't worry. We don't try to change your monthly payments each time you enter meter readings. The online messages you see are recommendations only and are based on the information we have at that specific time.

When customers switch to us, we receive various pieces of information from the previous supplier. This includes the Average Daily Consumption (ADC) figures. These show the daily consumption for each month and are generated by using all the usable meter readings for the past 12-18 months. The more readings given, the more accurate the ADC.

Payments are reviewed quarterly and, if necessary, changed only at the 6 and 12 month points. At the other times, we'll let you know if we think a change is needed and leave it up to you to make any amendments. Our aim is to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the annual payment review.

As Monthly Direct Debits are based on past usage, they're only ever estimates of future consumption as we realise circumstances change. As above, these predictions improve the greater the frequency of readings. Smart meters help here as these can increase the amount of actual readings on accounts.

The online Direct Debit Manager I mentioned to PennineAcute earlier is designed to help customers take more control of these arrangements. Through this tool, they can react to significant events like a major lifestyle change or a particularly harsh winter and amend their payments to suit.

Overall, we try to prevent too much credit or debit building up as we aim for zero balances. Generally, the longer customers are with us and give regular readings, the more accurate payment arrangements ultimately are.

Hope this is of interest Smodlet. Please let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
    E.ON Billing
    My sister has now received a bill for £750 and I think this is wrong. It has taken 2 years to sort out this problem, 2 years of stress to an ill and elderly person. They should be writing off this bill AND compensating her.
    Originally posted by luv_my_brass

Hello luv_my_brass and I replied to a couple of similar posts a few weeks ago - please see posts #1422 on 3 October and #1451 on 18 October above.

I speculated then that your sister may have been the victim of an Erroneous Transfer (ET) with another supplier taking her account by mistake. Can I ask a few questions please?

Can you confirm this was an ET and, if it was, whether or not the account has been returned to us?

If an ET, does the bill she has now received cover the period whilst her account was with the other supplier? Also, has the other supplier returned any payments your sister might've made to them?

Additionally, as I mentioned in post #1422, please ask us about the 'Back-Billing' rules. Whether they apply, will depend on the circumstances behind this very late bill.

Sorry for all the questions luv_my_brass. Trying to understand where this is at.

Malc
    • Greenenergy
    • By Greenenergy 5th Nov 19, 4:52 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Greenenergy
    Had this back about my smart meter wording complaint today - needless to say I’ll be referring to the regulator :

The tariff you are on with Eon, is subject to acceptance of being contacted to have a smart meter installed. This term is part of the tariff conditions when you agree this plan, this is why we are communicating the many benefits of smart to you now.
    If this isn’t something you don’t want at this time, this is fine. If you could confirm the reason you wouldn’t like to have a smart meter at this time I will ensure we record this reason on your account.

As tariffs and terms and conditions are a business decision we've registered your dissatisfaction and marked this matter as closed.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Nov 19, 8:34 PM
    • 5,053 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Had this back about my smart meter wording complaint today - needless to say Iíll be referring to the regulator :

The tariff you are on with Eon, is subject to acceptance of being contacted to have a smart meter installed. This term is part of the tariff conditions when you agree this plan, this is why we are communicating the many benefits of smart to you now.
    If this isnít something you donít want at this time, this is fine. If you could confirm the reason you wouldnít like to have a smart meter at this time I will ensure we record this reason on your account.

As tariffs and terms and conditions are a business decision we've registered your dissatisfaction and marked this matter as closed.
    Hi, Greenenergy (is there not a provider with that name?)

Is what you wrote verbatim because I interpret it as a double negative? I would not put this past Eon at all, having seen the standard of their written communications when you switch to them.

"If this isnít something you donít want"??? Ergo it is something you do want...

At this moment in time, I would not put anything past Eon; no wonder they need the online presence they have.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Greenenergy
    • By Greenenergy 5th Nov 19, 8:37 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Greenenergy
    Ha there might be but I am not a company ! That is verbatim from eon . They know the wording is misleading as they are sending out messages that say “ when you signed up to your energy tariff you agreed to have a smart meter fitted “ which is nothing like what the contract actually says - shocking that they consider the case closed . As mentioned I’ll be getting the deadlock and referring to ombudsman , I hope others will do the same .
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Nov 19, 2:23 PM
    • 5,053 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Hello Smodlet and don't worry. We don't try to change your monthly payments each time you enter meter readings. The online messages you see are recommendations only and are based on the information we have at that specific time.

When customers switch to us, we receive various pieces of information from the previous supplier. This includes the Average Daily Consumption (ADC) figures. These show the daily consumption for each month and are generated by using all the usable meter readings for the past 12-18 months. The more readings given, the more accurate the ADC.

Payments are reviewed quarterly and, if necessary, changed only at the 6 and 12 month points. At the other times, we'll let you know if we think a change is needed and leave it up to you to make any amendments. Our aim is to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the annual payment review.

As Monthly Direct Debits are based on past usage, they're only ever estimates of future consumption as we realise circumstances change. As above, these predictions improve the greater the frequency of readings. Smart meters help here as these can increase the amount of actual readings on accounts.

The online Direct Debit Manager I mentioned to PennineAcute earlier is designed to help customers take more control of these arrangements. Through this tool, they can react to significant events like a major lifestyle change or a particularly harsh winter and amend their payments to suit.

Overall, we try to prevent too much credit or debit building up as we aim for zero balances. Generally, the longer customers are with us and give regular readings, the more accurate payment arrangements ultimately are.

Hope this is of interest Smodlet. Please let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc

Thank you, Malc, this is a great help and I apologise for the exaggeration; it does not change the DD amount, it just tries to get me to do it, which I shan't, so there! My aim is to achieve a near zero balance when my tariff ends, as well.

So the bots that be might decide to increase my DD 6 months in, at the end of January (by which time, the WHD may be paid) Forewarned is forearmed but, by then, we shall know what kind of a winter we have and I will be able to make a one-off payment or increase the DD as I choose. This is really useful information, thank you.

As to ADC's I always, without fail, gave nPower monthly meter readings; sometimes more often. I have been giving bi-monthly readings since I switched to Eon so imagine there is no excuse for inaccuracy. I have even had one visit from a meter reader, whose reading was "not used for billing", according to my account, presumably because it was in line with all of my readings.

Gotta say, your meter reader was a star, Malc. Very few people establish an instant rapport with me to the extent he did. He seemed to share my dry sense of humour. If I can bore you, it went something like this:

Me: Kettle's just boiled.

Meter Reader: Oh, good.

OH: Would you like a cuppa?

MR: Unfortunately, I haven't got time. <Reads gas meter as I sidle out the door> I'm supposed to pester you about smart meters.

Me: I know, that's why I'm exiting stage right.

MR: Darn it, I've failed again!

Me <to OH> I like him, he can come again...

Maybe you had to be there.
    • fredwnelson
    • By fredwnelson 7th Nov 19, 6:57 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    fredwnelson
    I have now switched from Eon. Having been advised by Eon my E18 tariff was being withdrawn I asked the Simpler Metering team for help. Their solution was an offer that according to their figures would increase by bills by more than £450 annually
    A circular argument given for the withdrawal of E18 was that the meters were no longer manufactured and spares would soon no longer be made. Later in my talks with them I was told my meters could not be changed to SMART meters because I was not eligible
    So I could not have SMART but my current meters were obsolete!
    Overall an unsatisfactory end to a 20 year association with Eon
    • luv_my_brass
    • By luv_my_brass 9th Nov 19, 4:27 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    luv_my_brass
    We can only presume that the transfer did not actually go through and that my sister did not pay anything to the new Provider as she paid by cheque every month on receipt of a bill from E.on. She has not been receiving a bill from anyone and this has been a contributory factor to her stress as she has been terrified of the build up to an extremely large bill. She has tried to find out what was happening and all she got from E.on was 'we're dealing with it' - for two years!
    I contacted E.on via 'chat' giving all the details and got nowhere, in fact the chat person ended the session with a touch of sarcasm by giving me a help line to ring - it turned out to Calor Gas. Very amusing.
    I am now planning on going to the Ombudsman.
    E.ON Smart Meters
    Had this back about my smart meter wording complaint today - needless to say Iíll be referring to the regulator :

If this isnít something you donít want at this time, this is fine. If you could confirm the reason you wouldnít like to have a smart meter at this time I will ensure we record this reason on your account.

Ha there might be but I am not a company ! That is verbatim from eon . They know the wording is misleading as they are sending out messages that say ď when you signed up to your energy tariff you agreed to have a smart meter fitted ď which is nothing like what the contract actually says - shocking that they consider the case closed . As mentioned Iíll be getting the deadlock and referring to ombudsman , I hope others will do the same .

Hello Greenenergy and as per my comments on another thread, I've relayed your posts to those here responsible for the communications we're sending about smart meters.

Customers give a variety of reasons as to why they turn down smart meters and we ask about these so we can better understand the overall objections to the roll-out.

I'm sorry our response doesn't resolve your complaint Greenenergy.

Malc
    Hi, Greenenergy (is there not a provider with that name?)

Is what you wrote verbatim because I interpret it as a double negative? I would not put this past Eon at all, having seen the standard of their written communications when you switch to them.

"If this isnít something you donít want"??? Ergo it is something you do want...

At this moment in time, I would not put anything past Eon; no wonder they need the online presence they have.
    Thank you, Malc, this is a great help and I apologise for the exaggeration; it does not change the DD amount, it just tries to get me to do it, which I shan't, so there! My aim is to achieve a near zero balance when my tariff ends, as well.

So the bots that be might decide to increase my DD 6 months in, at the end of January (by which time, the WHD may be paid) Forewarned is forearmed but, by then, we shall know what kind of a winter we have and I will be able to make a one-off payment or increase the DD as I choose. This is really useful information, thank you.

As to ADC's I always, without fail, gave nPower monthly meter readings; sometimes more often. I have been giving bi-monthly readings since I switched to Eon so imagine there is no excuse for inaccuracy. I have even had one visit from a meter reader, whose reading was "not used for billing", according to my account, presumably because it was in line with all of my readings.

Gotta say, your meter reader was a star, Malc. Very few people establish an instant rapport with me to the extent he did. He seemed to share my dry sense of humour. If I can bore you, it went something like this:

Me: Kettle's just boiled.

Meter Reader: Oh, good.

OH: Would you like a cuppa?

MR: Unfortunately, I haven't got time. <Reads gas meter as I sidle out the door> I'm supposed to pester you about smart meters.

Me: I know, that's why I'm exiting stage right.

MR: Darn it, I've failed again!

Me <to OH> I like him, he can come again...

Maybe you had to be there.

Glad it was useful Smodlet. Also pleased you struck up a rapport with our meter reader. Good to hear.

With a change of supplier, one of the pieces of data transferred are the ADCs. As you gave such frequent meter readings, these will help enormously when we come to review the monthly payments.

As we've spoken about before, the Direct Debit Manager on your online account is there to use if you think your payments need to go up or down.

Thanks for the feedback Smodlet.

Malc
    E.ON Economy 18
    I have now switched from Eon. Having been advised by Eon my E18 tariff was being withdrawn I asked the Simpler Metering team for help. Their solution was an offer that according to their figures would increase by bills by more than £450 annually
    A circular argument given for the withdrawal of E18 was that the meters were no longer manufactured and spares would soon no longer be made. Later in my talks with them I was told my meters could not be changed to SMART meters because I was not eligible
    So I could not have SMART but my current meters were obsolete!
    Overall an unsatisfactory end to a 20 year association with Eon
    Originally posted by fredwnelson

Sorry to lose you fredwnelson and also sorry our Simpler Metering team couldn't agree a better deal.

Malc
    E.ON Erroneous Transfer
    We can only presume that the transfer did not actually go through and that my sister did not pay anything to the new Provider as she paid by cheque every month on receipt of a bill from E.on. She has not been receiving a bill from anyone and this has been a contributory factor to her stress as she has been terrified of the build up to an extremely large bill. She has tried to find out what was happening and all she got from E.on was 'we're dealing with it' - for two years!
    I contacted E.on via 'chat' giving all the details and got nowhere, in fact the chat person ended the session with a touch of sarcasm by giving me a help line to ring - it turned out to Calor Gas. Very amusing.
    I am now planning on going to the Ombudsman.
    Originally posted by luv_my_brass

Hello luv_my_brass and I'm sorry our Live Chatters gave you the wrong number. I suspect they were trying to put you in touch with our Erroneous Transfer team.

As per my earlier replies (#1422 on 3 October, #1451 on 18 October and #1508 on 5 November), this sounds very much like an Erroneous Transfer and these are dealt with by a specialist team. This team is the only area of the business who can help here and it's best you talk to them.

Please ask for a formal complaint to be raised. There's more information about this on our website and it will help when approaching the Energy Ombudsman. Once sorted, ask about the 'Back-Billing' rules I mentioned in post #1422 above.

Thanks luv_my_brass.

Malc
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Nov 19, 3:41 PM
    • 5,053 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I've noticed something I find interesting today on the CEC's tariff information for Eon's Fix Online Exclusive v16: It no longer states smart meters are compulsory; instead it says, "E.on will contact you about having smart meters (one for gas, one for elec) installed. However, it has told us you can refuse them and remain on this tariff. Smart meters are free and send automatic meter readings, so you should get exact bills and pay only for what you use."

Perhaps the CEC has finally caught up with the facts as they stand at the moment. Now, if they could just catch up with the fact I switched nearly 4 months ago and pay me flippin' cash back...
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Nov 19, 3:45 PM
    • 5,053 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    Smodlet
    As we've spoken about before, the Direct Debit Manager on your online account is there to use if you think your payments need to go up or down.
    Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Thanks, Malc, I'd forgotten about that. That's one thing nPower did not have; still miss the graphs and the instant usage updates, though. I really think Eon's website could be radically improved.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

363Posts Today

4,119Users online

Martin's Twitter