Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brednall
    • By brednall 23rd Oct 19, 2:33 PM
    • 569Posts
    • 3,029Thanks
    brednall
    A Little Advice Please
    • 23rd Oct 19, 2:33 PM
    A Little Advice Please 23rd Oct 19 at 2:33 PM
    I currently log all my spends on a spreadsheet, usually every other day and every month I say to myself 'look how much extras you've wasted cash on'.

For next month, I am wondering if it's better to keep only DD monies in my account and withdraw most of the rest then separate it into shopping, etc at home.

Does anyone else do that and do you find it works for you?

Thanks

Emma
    Baby daughter born Jan 10

Baby son born June 11
Page 2
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Nov 19, 12:21 PM
    • 9,816 Posts
    • 49,847 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Have you got Christmas budgeted for? If so then don't increase that now else that defeats the object! I'd suggest to transfer any surplus to either debt-busting or Emergency Fund - or even a split between the two?

Take a good look at the extra expenses that have come up aside from your budgeted amount too - were these things that were missing from the budget and that should be factored in for the future? or a situation where temptation struck and dragged you off the straight and narrow? If the latter then make sure you always practise the "stop and think" method - step away from the temptation and ask yourself whether you actually need the item in question, whether you have anything else that does the same job, or whether in fact you can manage perfectly well without it...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    • brednall
    • By brednall 12th Nov 19, 12:33 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 3,029 Thanks
    brednall
    Have you got Christmas budgeted for? If so then don't increase that now else that defeats the object! I'd suggest to transfer any surplus to either debt-busting or Emergency Fund - or even a split between the two?

Take a good look at the extra expenses that have come up aside from your budgeted amount too - were these things that were missing from the budget and that should be factored in for the future? or a situation where temptation struck and dragged you off the straight and narrow? If the latter then make sure you always practise the "stop and think" method - step away from the temptation and ask yourself whether you actually need the item in question, whether you have anything else that does the same job, or whether in fact you can manage perfectly well without it...
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    I have lots of loyalty points saved up which go towards Christmas and already bought a few bits & bobs plus Amazon vouchers saved up from surveys/apps etc. Every bit helps

Baby son born June 11
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Nov 19, 2:53 PM
    • 9,816 Posts
    • 49,847 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    So you plan to "do" christmas "cash neutral" just using your points/vouchers I take it? Great work!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • brednall
    • By brednall 12th Nov 19, 5:27 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 3,029 Thanks
    brednall
    Well my nectar points buy Christmas dinner and my boots points buy quite a few gifts plus Amazon vouchers go towards something for my children. Next year I am saving all points on all cards and apps purely towards Christmas!

Baby son born June 11
    • brednall
    • By brednall 12th Nov 19, 8:52 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 3,029 Thanks
    brednall
    So this week I have 15.64 left from my 100 withdrawn which has covered shopping fuel and other sundries. Do I save it for Christmas or pay off a CC debt??

Baby son born June 11
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 12th Nov 19, 9:41 PM
    • 9,616 Posts
    • 22,348 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Do you have any emergency savings?

You have made a good start in starting to live within a budget. Having an emergency fund is usually a good first step as is saving for things like Christmas and car maintenance, annual bills etc.

How much debt do you have and are you paying interest?
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Nov 19, 12:40 PM
    • 9,816 Posts
    • 49,847 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    As above - if you have already budgeted for Christmas then pay off debt, if your current plan for christmas is to use credit to cover any shortfall, then use the saved money for Christmas. (And regardless, DON'T use credit to cover christmas costs - instead set a budget for what you can afford and only spend up to it - if that means less shiny things than people are used to, then tough.)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • brednall
    • By brednall 14th Nov 19, 1:37 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 3,029 Thanks
    brednall
    Well, my best laid plans have taken a hit today. Been for an asthma review and the nurse has issued another inhaler plus a spacer along with the prescription I'd already ordered so 3 prescription charges to pay later. I am wondering whether to get the pre-paid 3 month cert as I am sure at least one of my inhalers will need replacing before the 3 months is up??

Baby son born June 11
    • Sanctioned Parts List
    • By Sanctioned Parts List 14th Nov 19, 2:15 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    Sanctioned Parts List
    Well, my best laid plans have taken a hit today.
    Originally posted by brednall
    Actually, this is a positive:

You'd saved some money, which meant you had it on hand to deal with an unexpected expense rather than having to reach for the CC.

• KxMx
    • By KxMx 14th Nov 19, 2:26 PM
    • 7,707 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    KxMx
    Well, my best laid plans have taken a hit today. Been for an asthma review and the nurse has issued another inhaler plus a spacer along with the prescription I'd already ordered so 3 prescription charges to pay later. I am wondering whether to get the pre-paid 3 month cert as I am sure at least one of my inhalers will need replacing before the 3 months is up??
    Originally posted by brednall
    I would definitely recommend a pre paid yearly certificate.

10 monthly DD payments of 10.40 and you're then covered for every prescription, repeat planned and one off unplanned. Works out at 2 a week.

Even if it doesn't pay for itself in monetary value, it's worth it IMO for peace of mind budget wise that everything is covered.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Nov 19, 2:58 PM
    • 9,816 Posts
    • 49,847 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Get the pre-paid certificate! I use the three-monthly ones and then "play the system" a bit with the allowances on how often you can order a repeat. Basically you only need to get 4 prescriptions inside the 3 months to make it worthwhile - anything more than that you can get in as well just increases the value. So I ensure I order on the date I'm allowed to each month while I have the certificate to build up a bit of a stock, then I have a couple of months with no certificate but only needing one prescription at the most, if you see what I mean. If you have multiple medications it can work very well. For me it works out more cost effective to do it that way than having the annual certificate.

You don't have to wait for a card to come through the post any more either so if you order it online to start today (or whichever day you plan to collect the prescription) then you'll be able to print it off and use it for the three you've ordered.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

303Posts Today

3,329Users online

Martin's Twitter