Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrHouse
    • By MrHouse 12th Nov 19, 1:49 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrHouse
    Unpaid CCJ or Used Overdraft
    • 12th Nov 19, 1:49 PM
    Unpaid CCJ or Used Overdraft 12th Nov 19 at 1:49 PM
    Hi, I am trying to rebuild my credit after many years low income and stupidity. I am doing well clearing off my debts now and not accruing any more.

I have an unpaid CCJ on my credit file, I cannot afford to pay it from savings, but I do have enough available on my overdraft to clear it.

So the question is this. From a purely credit score point of view is it better to use my overdraft to pay off the ccj right now and pay back the overdraft over 6 months or keep my overdraft useage lower (I am already using about 35% of my overdraft) and pay off the ccj over 6 months. My ccj has just under 3 years remaining.

Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Nov 19, 2:18 PM
    • 24,407 Posts
    • 27,206 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Nov 19, 2:18 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 2:18 PM
    From a purely credit score point of view, it would be a flip of a coin. But that doesn't matter.

But from a credit history viewpoint - being a little overdrawn versus an outstanding court judgement for non-payment of bills? It's a no-brainer.
    • Mandy8887
    • By Mandy8887 12th Nov 19, 2:32 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mandy8887
    • 12th Nov 19, 2:32 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 2:32 PM
    Is the CCJ valid? did you have notice? is it your debt? if not firstly try to remove it and then if that is not possible paying it is better
    • MrHouse
    • By MrHouse 12th Nov 19, 2:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrHouse
    • 12th Nov 19, 2:47 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 2:47 PM
    Yes, I believe the ccj is valid and for a debt that I didn't pay (Welsh water).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,369Posts Today

6,632Users online

Martin's Twitter