Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Has being in debt caused you stress and anxiety?

Yes

96.30% • 625 votes

No

3.70% • 24 votes

You may not vote on this poll

649 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 8th May 15, 11:26 AM
    • 9,418Posts
    • 22,339Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Debt and Mental Health - How have your debts affected you?
    • 8th May 15, 11:26 AM
    Debt and Mental Health - How have your debts affected you? 8th May 15 at 11:26 AM
    Hi everyone,

As part of Mental Health Awareness Week 2015 next week (11-17 May), we’re supporting Stepchange Debt Charity and the Mental Health Foundation (MHF) in highlighting how debt can play a large part in mental health issues.

We have a free Mental Health and Debt guide available for anyone to download so if you're struggling please do take a look!

Has being in debt caused you stress and anxiety?

We're launching a poll to see how many of you have had mental health issues. We've kept responses private so other forum users won't see who's voted in the poll. If you'd like to reply below and discuss that would be great but don't feel you have to.

Join the forum to vote in the poll and join the conversation: join.

Mental Health Awareness Week Twitter Chat Wed 13 May, 11am

We're hosting a twitter chat with StepChange Debt Charity and the Mental Health Foundation this Wednesday: Twitter Chat
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 11
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 10th Nov 19, 10:16 AM
    • 293 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Michaelw
    Weíve paid about half off but recently begun the CCA process which Iím not feeling the benefit of yet, I find it stressful not hearing from creditors and find myself waiting for the postman each day.
    Originally posted by 3011gillian
    They can't enforce the agreement until they supply one and producing an acurate copy and from around twenty years ago can be a problem.The devil is in the detail with these agreements'.I wasn't happy with mine I made a nominal amount payment of £5 a month but knew there would have had problems enforcing what was sent even though for that period it was one of the best.

Last year it was sold to a company called Cabot but later returned to the original lender and now its gone they didn't appear to know anything about my condition.This can go on for years' and if circumstances are unlikely to change and its best ask to write the debt off with a medical evidence form.

If this is taking some time from an original lender it can suggest a problem.Credit cards are best paid off when due and refuse credit limit increases.
    • Paulapips
    • By Paulapips 12th Nov 19, 5:57 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Paulapips
    Always had bad mental health, bad shopping habits, not a great combination, anyways brought a house with hubby 16years ago, interest only. Didnít realise how much it actually cost to own a house! Problem after problem. Anyway long story short, hubby changed job early on and was on a lot less money, we went from £3000 a month to £2000.... started using credits cards for food shops, now ten years later £75,000 in debt on credit cards and 2 loans. £1,700 a month just on min payments.
    I suffer with quite severe depression, have anxiety attacks daily. I donít do any housework. I spend my days in bed, I have a part time job working in a food shop and it physically hurts me to get up and go. I have an eating disorder... the list goes on. My husband is a good man, work all the hours but itís just not enough.
    We canít remortgage, lord we tried..... we canít sell, tried that too and still on the market, we wouldnít be able to even pay half the debts but would be a start but then we would have to go to rented.
    My dad past away less than a month ago which has my spiralling, put on a stone in the past month alone.
    I feel so alone.
    • Kerrie2511
    • By Kerrie2511 21st Nov 19, 12:37 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kerrie2511
    I am about £1200 in my overdraft. I wouldnít be in this situation if wasnít for 2 lads robbing me at knifepoint while at work. They smashed the till off with a hammer. I took about 1 & a half months off work. Used the little savings I had to cover the shortfall in my wages.

Just finding it difficult to get out my overdraft. I earn just over £1000 a month. Just covers my bills. I am left with £198 to last me the month. Only got paid today. I donít go out drinking, see friends, donít go them cinema. All I do is go to work, come home walk the dog and watch tv. Itís so depressing and boring.

After 2 years of pushing to pass my driving test, I finally passed. I canít afford a car. If I could have a car I would be z a ble to get a better job.
    • Edinburgh4a
    • By Edinburgh4a 11th Dec 19, 1:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Edinburgh4a
    I've been in debt since I turned 18 and finally will be debt free in a few months time at the age of 36. It has caused me huge amounts of anxiety and depression over the years; both due to the worry of repayments and also because of the things I've missed out on because of the payments. (Not being able to just go travelling, not being able to afford to learn to drive, buy a house etc.)

I know my credit rating will still be affected for 6 years after my DAS DPP has been paid off but I've gone so long without access to credit now I'm not remotely interested in relying on it ever again other than using it to rebuild my credit rating and eventually get a mortgage.

I wish I'd sorted myself out sooner but it's a vicious circle; my terrible mental health which was exasperated by the level of debt kept me from digging my head out of that sand.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,393Posts Today

7,158Users online

Martin's Twitter