Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 35
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 6th Nov 19, 12:42 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Gerry1
    I'd look for really good insulation so that heat isn't wasted overnight when it's not needed, together with a fan to boost the output in the late afternoon and evening. Some clever temperature controls and a timer would also be useful.

I don't have any experience of them, but Dimplex Quantum looks good. It may be worth paying a bit more than for an ordinary box of bricks because less heat will be wasted so the running costs will be lower.

But as Richie warns, you'll have to do the sums to see whether replacement makes sense for you.
    • Kopernikus
    • By Kopernikus 10th Nov 19, 11:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Kopernikus
    I see FFH are offering 15% off on their TV adverts. 15% off what?
    As they do not publish prices I have reported this to the ASA.
    As the ASA is another toothless quango I will await the outcome.
    • cub
    • By cub 6th Dec 19, 7:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    cub
    Storage heaters don't lose a lot of their heat from 3am to 7am because the higher the heat stored, the more firmly the outlet flap is kept closed. As the heat gradually reduces during the day, the internal mechanism allows the flap to open, gradually letting more heat out. The output control allows the householder to additionally control at what rate this transition occurs.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 6th Dec 19, 8:23 PM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    matelodave
    Storage heaters don't lose a lot of their heat from 3am to 7am because the higher the heat stored, the more firmly the outlet flap is kept closed. As the heat gradually reduces during the day, the internal mechanism allows the flap to open, gradually letting more heat out. The output control allows the householder to additionally control at what rate this transition occurs.
    Originally posted by cub
    Fischer heater are NOT storage heaters although they might store about an hours worth. They do not store heat overnight and neither do they work with E7

PLEASE DO NOT CONFUSE THEM AS STORAGE HEATERS BECAUSE THEY AREN'T
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 6th Dec 19, 8:43 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Gerry1
    They do not store heat overnight and neither do they work with E7
    Originally posted by matelodave
    You could run them in the daytime on an unswitched E7 circuit, but you'd go bankrupt even faster because the E7 day rate is usually more expensive than the equivalent single rate !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

6,270Users online

Martin's Twitter