Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • credit1
    • By credit1 2nd Nov 19, 10:53 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    credit1
    0% Credit card + SC clearance
    • 2nd Nov 19, 10:53 AM
    0% Credit card + SC clearance 2nd Nov 19 at 10:53 AM
    Hi everyone,

So I have 2 credit cards. An AMEX platinum cashback card which I pay off in full every month, and then a 2 year 0% card which I put everything that I can't use my AMEX for on.

I pay the minimum on the 0% card every month, but I could pay it off in full at any time.

At work I will need to get SC clearance, and one of the important parts of that is credit history (so they can see how likely it would be for someone to bribe you for info by paying off debts, etc.)

Now I'm wondering if I should just pay off my 0% card in full for a few months, so it doesn't look like I'm having to borrow money, since there is surely no way for them to distinguish between it being a 0% card and me needing to borrow money.
Page 1
    • papaface
    • By papaface 2nd Nov 19, 11:20 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    papaface
    • 2nd Nov 19, 11:20 AM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 11:20 AM
    Mortgages or credit cards are not usually a concern unless you've fallen into arrears. Arrears are not the same as only paying the minimum required. Paying the min. will keep your account in good-standing and on a 0% card it's not much to worry about, although I personally would be paying as much off it as possible.

Just forget about this "worry" and move on with your life
    • credit1
    • By credit1 2nd Nov 19, 11:32 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    credit1
    • 2nd Nov 19, 11:32 AM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 11:32 AM
    Mortgages or credit cards are not usually a concern unless you've fallen into arrears. Arrears are not the same as only paying the minimum required. Paying the min. will keep your account in good-standing and on a 0% card it's not much to worry about, although I personally would be paying as much off it as possible.

Just forget about this "worry" and move on with your life
    Originally posted by papaface
    You're probably right. I'm only getting 1.45% in savings, so I might just pay it all off. Would probably be better off looking for a non-AMEX cashback card when a few of my searches drop off.

Thanks for the reply!
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 2nd Nov 19, 12:08 PM
    • 7,002 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 2nd Nov 19, 12:08 PM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 12:08 PM
    It won’t matter especially if the rest of your files are clean.

I may or may not be speaking from experience
    • TopperHarris
    • By TopperHarris 10th Nov 19, 9:59 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    TopperHarris
    • 10th Nov 19, 9:59 AM
    • 10th Nov 19, 9:59 AM
    I have a clearance, which is higher than SC and was just renewed this past couple of months.

The financial questionnaire is looking for your honesty more than anything else. Put down what you have been asked to provide and make sure you can explain the expenditure on each account if asked to. There is no interview for SC, so you will only be asked if something looks fishy, ie. doesn't reflect the same on your credit report, to what you have provided on your application.

The vetting people will be looking for spending out of control and inconsistent with your income etc, making sure you are not living beyond your means and open to bribery for example.

A few credit card bills which are maintained are not going to be a problem.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 10th Nov 19, 10:59 AM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,616 Thanks
    phillw
    • 10th Nov 19, 10:59 AM
    • 10th Nov 19, 10:59 AM
    I would be more worried about what they would think if they knew you were trying to game the clearance system.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

4,140Users online

Martin's Twitter