Ideas for very short term (3 months) investments?

2»

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    rorrim wrote: »
    My first thought was premium bonds though I know Martin himself is sceptical of them, given the time frame I think they seem my best bet?
    Why does Martin Lewis not like Premium Bonds? I'm personally a big fan.
    I wouldn't describe his position as sceptical as such, just keen to ensure that people go in with their eyes open and aware of the alternatives.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/ explains key considerations such as the fact that holders shouldn't expect a return of the nominal 1.4% (and even that is generally beatable) and that their tax-free status isn't the benefit it used to be in the post-2016 PSA world, but ultimately concludes:
    Look at Premium Bonds with a clinical financial eye and they're only a good bet as a serious place to put savings if you're lucky, or you're a higher- or top-rate taxpayer who has used up their personal savings allowance, cash ISA allocation, and top bank savings accounts.

Even though many rates have dropped, the top bank savings accounts will all still smash the pants off Premium Bonds, unless you've extremely good luck. And even the top cash ISAs and normal savings are usually likely to pay higher returns, even though their interest rates are actually lower than the Premium Bonds rate, it's a lucky person who'll actually break even with that rate on Premium Bonds.

Premium Bonds are all about your mentality. They do protect your cash, so even if the returns don't look a good bet, it's fine to put a non-significant portion of your money in them, provided you're aware it's more for fun than returns. Before deciding, use the calculator to look at the real odds. If you're willing to take the gamble after that, then it's fine.

Many people often think: "I'm likely to get about 1.4% and there's a small chance of winning a million". But the main point is that this isn't correct. You're actually likely to get quite a lot less than 1.4%, and there's a negligible chance of winning a million. If you know and you're OK with this, then investing in Premium Bonds isn't a bad plan.
  • ColdIron wrote: »
    About that, over a year. See what the MSE article says about it

I had the max in PBs but moved it out in 2012, never regretted it

Interesting read. The Premium Bonds are one portion of my investments, a portion I am happy to "risk", so this: "...then you can factor in "the chance of winning large" as an additional fringe benefit of Premium Bonds, and it wouldn't be too bad to let that sway your decision marginally." is pretty much my thinking on it. If I only had Premium Bonds, I would definitely reconsider.

Out of interest, what did you move the money into instead?
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    An AA 2 year fixed term bond at 3.85%. Those were the days :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure