Electric cars

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Full electric Taxi for London, and some impressive numbers for Tesla in the US (side issue, apparently waiting times for the TM3 have now been increased significantly in the US due to export demands.)

First 100% electric black cab for 120 years launches in London

Tesla = 75–85% of US Electric Vehicle Sales

Always sad to see the Chevy Bolt ticking along at about 1,500pm, as it has done for years now. I really, really hoped it wasn't going to be just a compliance car, but I guess I was wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    gfplux wrote: »
    Now that is clever. I come from a marketing background and anything that can make the user feel superior is a win.
    Witness Apple AirPods.
    I have always been surprised that the car makers have not written ELECTRIC large on their cars.
    Airpod wearers might feel superior but they look like kn*bs. Just like people with ELECTRIC written in large letters on their cars.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Great marketing in Beijing too, where there is no waiting list for an EV number plate, but ICE plates have a roughly 8yr waiting list.
    No - the 8yr wait is for the "new energy" plates.

All cars are subject to quotas - 60k max "new energy", with 400k people waiting; 40k IC with 100k waiting. Yep, that's a total of 100k new cars this year for a city of 21.5m people...

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201901/31/WS5c52a306a3106c65c34e7930.html
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    No - the 8yr wait is for the "new energy" plates.

All cars are subject to quotas - 60k max "new energy", with 400k people waiting; 40k IC with 100k waiting. Yep, that's a total of 100k new cars this year for a city of 21.5m people...

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201901/31/WS5c52a306a3106c65c34e7930.html

I thought a policy decision came out in June that restrictions on BEV plates for all Chinese cities, were to be removed?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • So all of these issues have swings and roundabouts. Plus wind (on or offshore) is essential as the greater the mix of renewables we have, the more the package works as a whole since they support each other via their differing generation profiles. It is still confusing for us...
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AdrianC said:
    BTW, if work are paying for your private-use electricity (and, yes, that includes commuting), I do hope you're declaring it as a benefit in kind?

Point 5.5 on here...
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519209/factsheet-tax-implications-refresh.pdf
    If an employer provides electricity to an employee to charge their own car, a benefit in kind arises representing the cost of the electricity used, which must be reported to HMRC.
    Which reveals nicely how really electric-car friendly and green government policy is.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Just think how much BIK there would be from people charging their phones at work.  OK, maybe only a few pence a time but multiply by millions of people every day...

Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    buglawton said:
    AdrianC said:
    BTW, if work are paying for your private-use electricity (and, yes, that includes commuting), I do hope you're declaring it as a benefit in kind?

Point 5.5 on here...
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519209/factsheet-tax-implications-refresh.pdf
    If an employer provides electricity to an employee to charge their own car, a benefit in kind arises representing the cost of the electricity used, which must be reported to HMRC.
    Which reveals nicely how really electric-car friendly and green government policy is.

Why? It's exactly the same if your work is paying for petrol/diesel that you're using for personal journeys.
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 8 July 2020 at 6:36AM
    Our current EV is over 3 years old now - 3 years and 3 months to be precise, with 35k miles on the clock.

It looks as crazy today as it did back in 2016 when we first ordered it and performs role of a family wagon perfectly.

I can now report back some real ownership costs.

Purchase cost was £71k as invoiced in March 2017, the cheapest X on Autotrader at present is £50k, so deprecation works out at £540/month which is OK for a brand new car in the £70k region.

But we bought it as a longterm keeper so depreciation figures don't bother me as I consider the money spent/gone.

Running costs have been utterly nuts:

Fuel - 3p per mile with home charging.
    Tyres - 2.5p per mile with oneset changed at 27k.
    Service- £0, really I've not 'serviced' it since new.
    MOT - £40
    VED -£0

So under £2k in upkeep/fulecosts over 3 years and 35k miles.

Next 12 months will see the car out of warranty and I will get the battery coolant changed at 50k miles, so will report back what running costs are like as the car gets older. So far though under 6p per mile all-in running costs is bonkers cheap.

*I haven't included insurance as we all know how variable that is based on location/person, but I paid £530 this year on the Tesla.
  • Highland76
    Highland76 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 8 July 2020 at 10:51AM
    gzoom said:
     So far though under 6p per mile all-in running costs is bonkers cheap.

But it cost you £71k, so the overall cost is hardly "bonkers cheap". Its a bit like a car dealer offering you a brand new petrol/diesel car with free fuel for life....provided you pay £200k up front. At present, it costs silly money (>£50k) to buy a electric car with decent range (>400 miles). Perhaps in 20+ years time that will totally change but as things stand, EVs are a novelty. I will stick with my Audi A6 diesel for a good few years yet, considering it can do up to 700 miles on a full tank and cost about half the price of your Tesla X (bought brand new)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback