Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonamora
    • By Jonamora 24th Jan 17, 5:11 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jonamora
    Electric cars
    • 24th Jan 17, 5:11 PM
    Electric cars 24th Jan 17 at 5:11 PM
    Just wanted people's opinions on buying an electric car?

Before long all cars will be electric and therfore is it best to sell petrol car at full value and invest in electric car.

I don't want to start a new finance deals for 4 years and be complete but then left with and cat nobody wants or has resale value because all are electric.....thoughts

Jonathan
Page 218
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 22nd Oct 19, 9:31 AM
    • 26,410 Posts
    • 26,354 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Don't get too premature - it's only the consultation that was promised last September, closing in January.

Consultation: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/introduction-of-green-number-plates-for-ultra-low-emission-vehicles
    Original announcement: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/green-number-plates-for-clean-vehicles
    There's quite a lot of political uncertainty even before that date, let alone before anything would actually be introduced.

Note on page 6, point 8, that the government preference is not the whole green plate used in the media pieces, but just a green "flash" on the side, where the blue EU flash is currently.
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 23rd Oct 19, 7:46 AM
    • 4,795 Posts
    • 4,569 Thanks
    gfplux
    News for the BEV'ers .... BEV'sters .... BEV'ees .... whatever.

Electric cars to get green number plates under government plan
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Now that is clever. I come from a marketing background and anything that can make the user feel superior is a win.
    Witness Apple AirPods.
    I have always been surprised that the car makers have not written ELECTRIC large on their cars.
    There will be no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 23rd Oct 19, 8:09 AM
    • 9,807 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Now that is clever. I come from a marketing background and anything that can make the user feel superior is a win.
    Witness Apple AirPods.
    I have always been surprised that the car makers have not written ELECTRIC large on their cars.
    Originally posted by gfplux
    Great marketing in Beijing too, where there is no waiting list for an EV number plate, but ICE plates have a roughly 8yr waiting list.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 23rd Oct 19, 8:23 AM
    • 9,807 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Full electric Taxi for London, and some impressive numbers for Tesla in the US (side issue, apparently waiting times for the TM3 have now been increased significantly in the US due to export demands.)

First 100% electric black cab for 120 years launches in London

Tesla = 7585% of US Electric Vehicle Sales

Always sad to see the Chevy Bolt ticking along at about 1,500pm, as it has done for years now. I really, really hoped it wasn't going to be just a compliance car, but I guess I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • shinytop
    • By shinytop 23rd Oct 19, 10:42 AM
    • 592 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    shinytop
    Witness Apple AirPods.
    Originally posted by gfplux
    Airpod wearers might feel superior but they look like kn*bs. Just like people with ELECTRIC written in large letters on their cars.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 23rd Oct 19, 10:47 AM
    • 26,410 Posts
    • 26,354 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Great marketing in Beijing too, where there is no waiting list for an EV number plate, but ICE plates have a roughly 8yr waiting list.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    No - the 8yr wait is for the "new energy" plates.

All cars are subject to quotas - 60k max "new energy", with 400k people waiting; 40k IC with 100k waiting. Yep, that's a total of 100k new cars this year for a city of 21.5m people...

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201901/31/WS5c52a306a3106c65c34e7930.html
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 23rd Oct 19, 5:11 PM
    • 9,807 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    No - the 8yr wait is for the "new energy" plates.

All cars are subject to quotas - 60k max "new energy", with 400k people waiting; 40k IC with 100k waiting. Yep, that's a total of 100k new cars this year for a city of 21.5m people...

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201901/31/WS5c52a306a3106c65c34e7930.html
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I thought a policy decision came out in June that restrictions on BEV plates for all Chinese cities, were to be removed?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

169Posts Today

1,976Users online

Martin's Twitter