Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Feb 19, 11:57 AM
    • 13,759Posts
    • 16,940Thanks
    Cornucopia
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)
    • 4th Feb 19, 11:57 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) 4th Feb 19 at 11:57 AM
    Hi All,

This is the new Lidl and Aldi buying thread. Please report any good/bad deals, good/bad offers and good/bad products.

I've broadened the scope slightly, so that discussion of customer service issues and experiences won't be off-topic. But please remember that the thread works best when it's the sum of our knowledge about Lidl and Aldi, and not other supermarkets.

Thanks.

The old thread is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5394929
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-02-2019 at 9:36 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 2nd Mar 19, 7:43 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Bought what ?
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 2nd Mar 19, 7:53 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Bought what ?
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    click the link on the word 'this'
    • Farway
    • By Farway 2nd Mar 19, 10:22 AM
    • 7,830 Posts
    • 15,871 Thanks
    Farway
    click the link on the word 'this'
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    It's a one egg round frying pan
    • maman
    • By maman 2nd Mar 19, 9:51 PM
    • 20,971 Posts
    • 124,305 Thanks
    maman
    It's a one egg round frying pan
    Originally posted by Farway
    I've looked at these but isn't there an issue with it being too small for the hob? I use a 7 inch frying pan when I do a single egg and it's also good for a small omelette.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 3rd Mar 19, 10:25 AM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 5,262 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    I was really excited to see Aldi do a Hazelnut flavoured coffee. I loved the Dowe Egberts one, but I think they've discontinued it.

But....yuck!! Really bitter aftertaste, and stinks the whole kitchen out, not in a nice way. Really disappointed. Was only £1.49, so no real loss.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Mar 19, 12:35 PM
    • 31,749 Posts
    • 66,023 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I was really excited to see Aldi do a Hazelnut flavoured coffee. I loved the Dowe Egberts one, but I think they've discontinued it.

But....yuck!! Really bitter aftertaste, and stinks the whole kitchen out, not in a nice way. Really disappointed. Was only £1.49, so no real loss.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    This might have happened after feedback similar to my own. I found that product bitter and disgusting - so they sent me some vouchers and I bought a big jar of their Gold instead
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Crisps87
    • By Crisps87 3rd Mar 19, 3:56 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Crisps87
    Aldi have a specially selected peanut butter in their pancake day specialbuys and it is delicious!!! It tastes like Reeses but is half the price! Yum!
    • maman
    • By maman 3rd Mar 19, 7:08 PM
    • 20,971 Posts
    • 124,305 Thanks
    maman
    Aldi have a specially selected peanut butter in their pancake day specialbuys and it is delicious!!! It tastes like Reeses but is half the price! Yum!
    Originally posted by Crisps87
    Pancake Day (or after) is usually a good time to stock up on syrup.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Mar 19, 6:39 PM
    • 13,759 Posts
    • 16,940 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Special Buy at Aldi:

- Piccolos (delicious thin & crispy breadsticks). 49p.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • SSUPER
    • By SSUPER 4th Mar 19, 6:54 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    SSUPER
    Hey there. If you shop at the Lidl Supermarket, don't buy those w5 rim blocks. They are about £1.30 for 2. There is 5 blocks in each one. After 2 weeks the cage is empty.

ASDA Supermarket do one for 20p. It foams a lot and you get a pine smell for about 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks it has no smell but lasts about another 4 weeks for foaming action only.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Mar 19, 9:42 AM
    • 31,749 Posts
    • 66,023 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Couple of random offers at Lidl at the moment:-

- Red or Green Pesto (190g) - 69p

- Whole small Camembert (250g) - 65p
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Both are a store-cupboard staple for me, but they were the usual price of 75p when I went in on Saturday.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Mar 19, 11:15 AM
    • 13,759 Posts
    • 16,940 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Both are a store-cupboard staple for me, but they were the usual price of 75p when I went in on Saturday.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Definitely 69p last week (I checked the receipt before posting). Do Store Managers have discretion to reduce prices locally to clear excess stock?

• kinger101
    • By kinger101 7th Mar 19, 11:42 PM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 6,904 Thanks
    kinger101
    Aldi go some great Angus Ribeye steaks. Never buy ground coffee there though. Porridge oats are good value too.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Mar 19, 11:47 PM
    • 31,749 Posts
    • 66,023 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Definitely 69p last week (I checked the receipt before posting). Do Store Managers have discretion to reduce prices locally to clear excess stock?
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Checked in my fridge and my recently-opened jar is full of fluffy white mould

My loss, the bin's gain.

• Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 11th Mar 19, 5:42 PM
    • 5,205 Posts
    • 9,800 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I've heard other people say that, but I've never had an issue. Ours are better quality than the local Tesco. Suspect it depends very much on the branch.
    Originally posted by GreenQueen
    I bought some premium pears. They were awful, no flavour at all. Donít know if I got a rogue pack.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 11th Mar 19, 5:46 PM
    • 5,205 Posts
    • 9,800 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Just had a plum crumble tart from Lidl. Very good and not too sweet. You have to defrost it then cook it so not a quick pud but well worth waiting for. Serves a generous 8 portions.
    • dianasnan
    • By dianasnan 12th Mar 19, 2:30 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    dianasnan
    If you still have the receipt take it back for a refund . I recently bought a bag of King Edward potatos which were black when peeled. took them back for no quibble refund.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 19th Mar 19, 7:05 PM
    • 13,759 Posts
    • 16,940 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    More random price reductions:-

At Lidl:-

- Anti-bacterial Handwash (500ml) - 55p

- Coconut Oil/Avocado Oil Spread - 50p (*)

At Aldi:-

- Piccolo's Thin Breadsticks - 29p (*)

At both:-

- 8x Ice Cream Wafers (vanilla or neopolitan) - £1.35

- Sliced Chicken Breast - £1.49

(*) Could be local manager's clearance price.

• Danipat
    • By Danipat 20th Mar 19, 9:49 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Danipat
    Last week I bought the new beetroot burgers in Aldi and they were lovely. I also bought a cauliflower cheese crumble tart and that was absolutely delicious!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 20th Mar 19, 8:50 PM
    • 31,749 Posts
    • 66,023 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I bought a beautiful lemon tree for £18.99 from Lidl this evening. I was looking for something to thrive in the conservatory and was perusing the ornamental oranges and suddenly spotted some huge lemons amongst the foliage

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,332Posts Today

5,217Users online

Martin's Twitter