Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: How much do you spend per month on Electricity

Winter, less than £15

4.09% • 13 votes

Winter, less than £20

8.18% • 26 votes

Winter, less than £25

12.58% • 40 votes

Winter , less than £30

13.21% • 42 votes

Winter, more than £30

56.29% • 179 votes

Summer, less than £15

13.21% • 42 votes

Summer, less than £20

9.75% • 31 votes

Summer, less than £25

12.58% • 40 votes

Summer, less than £30

13.52% • 43 votes

Summer, more than £30

40.25% • 128 votes

You may not vote on this poll

318 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    scattycat
    Average Electricity Costs Poll
    • 14th Jul 05, 10:36 AM
    Average Electricity Costs Poll 14th Jul 05 at 10:36 AM
    How much do you spend per month on electricity?

is it
    1. less than £15
    2. less than £20
    3. less than £25
    4. less than £30
    5. more than £30
    Maximum (in Winter) Minimum (in Summer), or does it hardly change in your house?

Tick two boxes please, one for Winter and one for Summer when you vote. Remember as Rodger stated in the deleted (non poll thread), please enter the Actual cost, not your direct debit payment

If it is a success then maybe Gas next
    Last edited by scattycat; 15-07-2005 at 12:54 PM.
    Moi....?

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
    Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 21
  • Magic Man
    At least my only use for gas during the first 6-8 months will be hot water (via a new Band A condensing boiler), so that will hopefully drop below £5pm.
    Originally posted by DragonQ
    Assuming that brand new condensing boiler is trouble free...

We have an old, inefficient back boiler that the service check guys always try to get us to change. It may be inefficient but it's built like a tank and still going strong after 20 years

What's the average life expectancy for modern domestic boilers...?
  • BlueMoo
    Yeah, interested to know what the current average would be. I currently pay 4.83p per kwh. Does this seem reasonable to others?
    M3 Dec2015 #160 Target £150,000 (BU £155000)
    • Estelle Page
    • By Estelle Page 8th Nov 13, 11:33 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 2,211 Thanks
    Estelle Page
    How do so many of you keep it under £30?! I have a small family (me, hubby and kid), we keep our heating off unless it's gets absolutely freezing (it's not switched on yet this year - no need) and we use the tumble dryer and stuff overnight when it's cheaper, and we still pay £35-£40 a month for our 2-bed, single-storey flat! And that's having just swapped to a cheaper tarrif :S
    • DragonQ
    • By DragonQ 8th Nov 13, 1:02 PM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    DragonQ
    Assuming that brand new condensing boiler is trouble free...

We have an old, inefficient back boiler that the service check guys always try to get us to change. It may be inefficient but it's built like a tank and still going strong after 20 years

What's the average life expectancy for modern domestic boilers...?
    Originally posted by Magic Man
    Trouble-free so far, plus I rent so it wouldn't cost me anything to fix it if it broke. Gas ended up costing £1.50pm over the summer.

How do so many of you keep it under £30?! I have a small family (me, hubby and kid), we keep our heating off unless it's gets absolutely freezing (it's not switched on yet this year - no need) and we use the tumble dryer and stuff overnight when it's cheaper, and we still pay £35-£40 a month for our 2-bed, single-storey flat! And that's having just swapped to a cheaper tarrif :S
    Originally posted by Estelle Page
    Mine is £25pm but that is going up to £30pm once my fix expires. I live by myself and have a lot of power-hungry AV equipment. Tumble driers use a lot of electricity so I would avoid using it unless necessary. Also, it's only cheaper overnight if you're on an Economy 7 tariff, which is usually only the case for those with electric heating (rather than gas).
  • rich123x
    no way
    sse have just told me they are upping my payments to ...................................are you ready for this ..................................£244.00 per month for a tiny 2 bed bungalow!!!!!!!
    • inspirespirit
    • By inspirespirit 16th Nov 13, 2:58 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    inspirespirit
    I have meters (I inherited them from a previous occupancy and have been told it will cost me 80 quid each to have them taken out). I put 25 - 30 per WEEK in the electric and now the gas is taking about 15 quid per week and that is before the rise due. 3 bed semi. I am constantly complaining to them but to no avail.
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 16th Nov 13, 7:16 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    I am constantly complaining to them but to no avail.
    Originally posted by inspirespirit
    To whom are you complaining? Your children? Partners?
    • inspirespirit
    • By inspirespirit 16th Nov 13, 9:16 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    inspirespirit
    to SSSE, lol. I am convinced my meter is wrong, but they won't come out and check it unless I pay which I can't afford to do and they won't change it to paying by direct debit without me paying to have the meters taken out.
  • abacusmk
    Less than £25
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 28th Nov 13, 2:30 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    to SSSE, lol. I am convinced my meter is wrong, but they won't come out and check it unless I pay which I can't afford to do and they won't change it to paying by direct debit without me paying to have the meters taken out.
    Originally posted by inspirespirit
    If you can afford to pay £170 per month then you can afford to pay £60 to switch to a credit meter where you would only pay £140. A £30 per month saving. The payback period is less than one winter. Plus, of course, it would be spread out over the year so you won't even be paying £140.
  • DogEars
    We've moved in to a 4-bedroom semi-detached house in November with only electric heaters (elegance radiators) and we pay the landlord directly for electricity, which he currently charges us 12p unit (+VAT), we paid £263 for December just for heating (1800+ units) and an additional £150 for domestic electricity (note: the heating is on it's on supply with a separate meter)

I've just found this thread so you'll have to excuse me, I've not read through all 400+ posts.

Are we paying too much?

Cheers,
    Ears.
    • amtrakuk
    • By amtrakuk 9th Feb 14, 2:11 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    amtrakuk
    In my house, 3 bed detached, there are 2 adults and a child. We have storage heaters and an immersion heater for the water. Our bill over the year is around £55.
    Originally posted by Rebob
    Guessing you mean £55 a month? Either way well done. Mines about double that for a 3 bed end terrace.
    • amtrakuk
    • By amtrakuk 9th Feb 14, 2:26 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    amtrakuk
    sse have just told me they are upping my payments to ...................................are you ready for this ..................................£244.00 per month for a tiny 2 bed bungalow!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by rich123x
    Have you just switched to them? I had the same thing with EDF. It turns out because I switched to them in the the 4th quarter (winter) their computer measured my consumption over winter and assumed that was more normal usage. I've still got the letter;

Your payments are changing
    · We’ve changed your monthly Direct
    Debit payment amount to: £420.00
    · This change will be effective from
    01 May 12

Even the operator at the call centre was surprised and agreed it was high. After some joking about the figures and giving my meter readings for the 4 previous quarters we settled the DD should be about £105 a month.

Might be worth a go. Also if you don't have one, if you can shell out a few quid might be worth getting an energy meter. Even better while your on the phone to your energy company ask to see if they can send you one free of charge. I find mine vital now I've learnt to use it
    • amtrakuk
    • By amtrakuk 9th Feb 14, 2:39 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    amtrakuk
    We've moved in to a 4-bedroom semi-detached house in November with only electric heaters (elegance radiators) and we pay the landlord directly for electricity, which he currently charges us 12p unit (+VAT), we paid £263 for December just for heating (1800+ units) and an additional £150 for domestic electricity (note: the heating is on it's on supply with a separate meter)

I've just found this thread so you'll have to excuse me, I've not read through all 400+ posts.

Are we paying too much?

Cheers,
    Ears.
    Originally posted by DogEars
    12p + vat a unit for the heating sounds about right, Im paying 11p a unit + vat + 22p/day standing charge for isupplyenergy. My total lekky for the house (hot water and cooking etc) works out about 35-40 units a day with the heating on timers or 65-70 units a day with them on 24/7 clicking on and off with their thermostats. Can you turn them off or fit timers? It makes a huge saving. In summer I use about 10-15 units day.

The £150 axillary supply does sound a bit steep. Is the hot water on the aux supply or on the heating supply?

Just thought you can switch the rads down a notch will save a few £££ to
    Last edited by amtrakuk; 09-02-2014 at 2:44 PM.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 10th Feb 14, 1:11 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    "We've moved in to a 4-bedroom semi-detached house in November with only electric heaters (elegance radiators) and we pay the landlord directly for electricity, which he currently charges us 12p unit (+VAT), we paid £263 for December just for heating (1800+ units) and an additional £150 for domestic electricity (note: the heating is on it's on supply with a separate meter)"
    (Quoted from your message - pressed the wrong buttons I think)

As far as I know, VAT on heating is 5%, but your figures suggest he is charging 20% - not an expert so I'd check that out.
  • TheOneINT
    Made me re-think my supplier! I'm paying way too much!
  • royroy1
    I am amazed that people can get their electric for anywhere close to £30 a month, so please share with us all which company you are with? and how you can get it so cheap?

I am paying around £270 a month for electric and gas, last months bill was £180.13 for electric (991 units) and £82.11 for gas (190 units), I've checked all the comparison sites and am in the process of switching but couldn't find any options that would save me more than a couple of quid. My bills are a struggle and I would love to know how to get them cheaper, so please share.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

3,521Users online

Martin's Twitter