Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 26th Oct 05, 5:41 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion
    • 26th Oct 05, 5:41 PM
    Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion 26th Oct 05 at 5:41 PM
    UPDATE 17 MAY 10

Due to the disruption on this thread, and the drain on resources, this thread has been closed.

A new thread has been started here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=32896445#post32896445

PLEASE, if the discussion can't be kept friendly, the new thread will be locked permanently.

This is a special area for the discussion of Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus). Unfortunately, it has become the topic for heated debate in the past and detracted from the main gas & electricity discussions. Therefore I would like to keep in restricted to just this discussion.

However due to past experiences some strict rules

i. All Telecom Plus Distributers must declare it when they post
    ii. All workers or those related to other utility companies must declare it
    iii. There are to be no abusive comments, accusations of fraud.
    iv. Anyone breaking the above rules will be barred first of all from this board, and if they persist from the Chat Forums

I hate having to be so draconian, yet this problem has lasted for more than a year. So it is time to sort it out.

My basic view on Utility Warehouse is contained within this article

For general, non-UW, discussions on gas & electricity click here

And Please I know there are two very polemic views on Utility Warehouse going to be expressed in this thread. Please do not libel anyone. Treat those with opposing arguments with respect, even though you disagree and please try and avoid personal remarks. I live in hope!
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 17-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 519
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th May 10, 6:16 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,548 Thanks
    Quentin
    I am sure that there are many individuals that would find this comment disingenuous and insulting.
    Originally posted by Mike by the Sea
    Of course the use of that expression isn't intended to be insulting (do you think that everyone reading this thread is ignorant of the expression and what it means?)

Or are you just on the lookout for more non-abusive posts you can righteously report to MSE abuse as part of your "hidden agenda"?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 15th May 10, 6:46 PM
    • 28,030 Posts
    • 13,881 Thanks
    Cardew
    Notwithstanding the merits and demerits of cashcards, surely the most important point for readers of this thread to note is that to benefit from the UW cashcard you have to pay UW a monthly membership fee and just about the highest gas and electricity prices in UK.

The average user will pay hundreds of pounds extra per year for their gas and electricity.
    • Mike by the Sea
    • By Mike by the Sea 15th May 10, 7:36 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Mike by the Sea
    Notwithstanding the merits and demerits of cashcards, surely the most important point for readers of this thread to note is that to benefit from the UW cashcard you have to pay UW a monthly membership fee and just about the highest gas and electricity prices in UK.

The average user will pay hundreds of pounds extra per year for their gas and electricity.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Hi Cardew

As discussed earlier in the thread, it isn't necessary to have either gas or electricity from UW to be able to apply for a UW card, therefore your assertion regarding the higher cost of using gas and electricity doesn't apply. The potential savings that I have highlighted in response to Quentin's assertion that there are better cashback opportunities are still valid, even after taking the full cost of uw membership into account.

As a moneysaving site, it is surely an oversight not to mention the uw card and the pro's and con's of having one in relation to saving money.

Mike
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th May 10, 7:40 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,548 Thanks
    Quentin
    As a moneysaving site, it is surely an oversight not to mention the uw card and the pro's and con's of having one in relation to saving money.
    Originally posted by Mike by the Sea
    You and your colleague uw reps have constantly mentioned it here ever since it was launched. Some would say spammed rather than "mentioned".

Keggs even told us how much money he was saving using it - (even though the truth is he hasn't got one and he thinks they are "messy"!)
  • Ascaron
    "I will not discuss the scrupulous tactics of salesman as I abhor it in any industry and I get to see examples of it often being a business owner myself, the reps that come through my door."

?
    Originally posted by penrhyn
    And your point?
  • Ascaron

We all know its pretty much rule no.1 for a distributer to rubbish comparison sites, wouldnt want people seeing how expensive UW are would you?
    Originally posted by Plushchris
    Is it? You are obviously talking to the wrong people, arent you?
  • keggs
    You and your colleague uw reps have constantly mentioned it here ever since it was launched. Some would say spammed rather than "mentioned".

Keggs even told us how much money he was saving using it - (even though the truth is he hasn't got one and he thinks they are "messy"!)
    Originally posted by Quentin
    As usual you make assertions (accusations) without having any real fact (only disparate comments) to try and back up your failed arguments.

I didn't realise you slept n my spare bedroom.

Laughable as well as incredible
  • bendtoy
    Is their any truth in it that Sainsburys are far from happy about some distributors targeting existing customers about the cashback card outside Sainsbury stores and putting leaflets on customers cars.
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 17th May 10, 12:15 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Due to the disruption on this thread, and the drain on resources, this thread has been closed.

A new thread has been started here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=32896445#post32896445

PLEASE, if the discussion can't be kept friendly, the new thread will be locked permanently.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

641Posts Today

4,821Users online

Martin's Twitter