PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    A couple of small spends, but just about wiped the remaining £5. Not yet decided how to account for yesterdays spends......

Her0n - £2.07 on 3 tubs of spread which (with the one in my fridge and the almost fniished one on the side) should hopefully get me to the end of the month.
    Ald! - £1.77 on two cartons of soya milk (may be enough for the month, but might need one more) and a box of dried yeast sachets.

The Marm@de has been made, so I now have 6 and a bit jars of marmalade. Hopefully last most of the month, and as I also had the sugar in stock that should reduce spending by around £3.00 - not a lot, but every small reduction will help.

Chicken carcass has been boiled to make stock, and the last of the meat was then picked off the bones. Looks like risotto one day this week - already have some risotto rice in the house, and some mushrooms that need using up, and some frozen peas and sweetcorn. It'll just be missing the ham I normally put in as I've none in the fridge or freezer (don't have bacon either, as I don't like that).

Discovered some tomatoes that need cooking before they can be eaten, so they'll go with my last portion of chips and an older portion of sausages.

Pulled out a portion of chicken supreme for tonight, along with some of the frozen peas and sweetcorn. Have plenty of rice in the house to go with it.

Might do diced chicken (from freezer) with pasta (loads in house) and pesto (in fridge) one night. May add in some more of the peas and sweetcorn.

Probably uncoated fish (plenty of salmon in the freezer as well as a few other bits) with a flavoured couscous (from cupboard) one night.

Not sure if I'm cooking for just me or me and OH on Saturday yet, but it'll be just me on Sunday. If it's just me on Saturday I might do my version of corned beef hash (I just mix fried corned beef into instant mash and serve with pickled red cabbage - all of which I have in the house). If I'm cooking for two it looks like I have two portions of chicken enchilladas in the bottom of the bottom freezer drawer, so I expect those will come out. Just leaves me Sunday to sort :)

So far I've no more spending planned other than standard tea bags I forgot today but will need by the weekend. Just need to wait and see how my next bread making attempt goes, and how much more useable bread flour I can find in my cupboards. And I'll need some more veg during the month (probably stick to frozen as it's quicker and reduces waste). Still reckon I'm going to need £15-£20 for the long London weekend though :(
    Cheryl
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    cw18 wrote: »
    Totally blew April out of the water yesterday :eek:

That makes me feel a bit better about my spending, £85.63/£100 so far! :eek:

I'll justify nearly £70 of it, because my bank card offered me 10% off a morries shop, so most of that is tins and washing powder and stores and cleaning stuff for months, and I'll get £7 back. £16.50 of it is flat out reduced to clear easter eggs though, because I was having a ****** day. Emotional spending was completely not under control, there!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Popped to Ald! today to get a few bits like bread, milk and something for tea tonight to last until the Mr S order comes. Spent £19.33
    Need to do a freezer inventory and then go to a butchers, might try a new one which does bulk as it's easier to park there then having to pay parking in town and then carry heavy bags back to the car.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Hi everyone,

Had my first spends of April today - £3.48 on some fruit and some oreos. Didn't need any of it, but dd asked for 'nice fruit' for this week (berries and exotic fruits) rather than bananas and apples... I don't begrudge that - it's not like she's asking for the moon! I didn't buy too much though, and I told her we'd make a fruit salad along with the boring stuff to make it go further. She seemed happy enough with that.

I made some pasties today, using J4mie 0liv3r's shortcrust recipe - they were delish! I made too much pastry, so instead of leaving it in the fridge, then chucking it away, I'm going to freeze it, to use in a few weeks. In fact, im off to do that now, and to add a pie to the meal plan for later this month!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • First spend of the month.. £2.50! On malteeesers:eek::rotfl:
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • £180 aim for lemonverbena this month please.

£1.25 already spent on veg and a protein bar at Aldi.
  • ma-ri-ella
    ma-ri-ella Posts: 980 Forumite
    in for another month. I didn't use the double discount offer at work as much as would have liked as waiting on a new fridge /freezer :P so my plan is to run stock down on old one which shouldn't be hard. Just started slimming world so need to do a stock check/ work out syn values of cupboard stuff. I think costs this month with be fresh items . Trying for under £30 as slightly over for year (i have receipts just need time to sit down and work out between moving)
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Total spend £61.24 - £25 (from Mum) = £36.24

Adding £6.88 at coop and 67p at Sainsbugs = £43.79

mostly on yogurt and F fruit
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    £3.84 on loads of ys goodies while getting my Ma's shopping today in her local cooop.
    Slices, sausage rolls, mini corn, muchrooms, chocolate cake:eek: courgettes.. Yum :j
    Shall add to total in a mo.
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hello all
    quickly popped in to log my £250 for the month please.
    all household and grub for three adults
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport