Claiming against Norwegian Airlines

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CAA have no powers to make the airline pay up. They can give their opinion on whether it is a valid claim but if the airline still does not pay, CAA can do nothing. The CAA view may assist in court should you need to progress to that stage
    What is the £150 for?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Froggitt wrote: »
    My nieces were delayed for seven hours on the same route as my mum at the weekend. I wrote on the Norwegian Claim Form page "Please dont waste my time and your money by rejecting this clearly valid claim, as I will go straight to the CAA, they will find in my favour, and you will be an additional £150 poorer as a result"

I don't understand this at all.

The CAA has no power to enforce its view.

What is the "additional £150" about?
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    The CAA seem pretty bang on in this process. Previous below......
    Following our intervention, Norwegian Air Shuttle has reassessed your flight and have informed us that the disruption of your flight is of a type which means that compensation is payable. It appears from the documentation provided, that the disruption could be considered as inherent in the normal operation of an airline. Therefore this disruption does not fall under the extraordinary circumstances’ exception of the Regulation. As such, the airline has agreed you are entitled to compensation.

The airline has confirmed they will be contacting you to arrange payment. We have therefore closed your file as the complaint has been resolved.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Froggitt
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Why would Norwegian be £150 poorer if you went to CAA?
    Do you mean small claims court?
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    CAA have no powers to make the airline pay up. They can give their opinion on whether it is a valid claim but if the airline still does not pay, CAA can do nothing. The CAA view may assist in court should you need to progress to that stage
    What is the £150 for?
    Vauban wrote: »
    I don't understand this at all.

The CAA has no power to enforce its view.

What is the "additional £150" about?
    Are you aware the CAA acts as the Ombudsman for flights, as the various schemes being set up are virtually useless? Following the CAA intervention, they told Norwegian to pay up the due compo.....I suspect Norwegian routinely turn down claims, hoping maybe half of claimants accept it.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Delays-cancellations/Making-a-claim/What-to-do-if-your-claim-is-rejected/

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-Travel-Problems/How-the-CAA-can-help/Refer-your-complaint-to-us/
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Best of luck on that one....
    The CAA have done almost diddly squat over the past 11 years, apart from a little "nudge" to the airlines 2-3 years ago.
    Indeed, on one aspect of the infamous Huzar case, I believe they were providing evidence to support Jet2?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Froggitt
    Options
    Well they are pretty good now, supporting my previous Norwegian claim and telling them to pay.
  • jamski07
    jamski07 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    Norwegian haven't replied to Bott & Co yet, so court papers are being sent. Surely there comes a point where Norwegian can see the case isn't going away and it's in everyones interest just for them to pay up?!
  • castra
    castra Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    jamski07 wrote: »
    Surely there comes a point where Norwegian can see the case isn't going away and it's in everyones interest just for them to pay up?!

Where Norwegian Air is concerned, the answer is no.

My case against them was rock solid. After months of email ping pong with Norwegian and their attempts to fob me off with half truths and waffle, I handed it over to Bott & Co. It went to court somewhere in Cheshire I believe. Norwegian didn't show so I was given judgement plus Norwegian had to pay the costs of Bott & Co. For whatever reason, Norwegian appear happy to cut their nose off to spite their face. Anyone have a theory as to why?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    castra wrote: »
    For whatever reason, Norwegian appear happy to cut their nose off to spite their face. Anyone have a theory as to why?

Because only a tiny number of passengers take them to court, I suspect. A few (but less than a majority I guess) may write to request flight delay compensation, but most are put off by the letters refusing to engage. So it's cheaper for the airline just to wait to get the court judgement and only then pay up - rather than have a proper system to pay everyone out who is entitled.

The CAA should be on to them for this systematic failure to adhere to the Regulation: but as the airlines' friend, they do nothing ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure