IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Disabled space/scotland

Options
Hi, I took my 84yr old neighbour shopping at Asda yesterday and parked in a disabled space. She has a blue parking permit but we forgot to display it. Got out to discover a yellow sticker on the windscreen with a demand for £40 if paid within a fortnight. Couldn’t see anyone around but if they had been observing they would clearly have seen that she is disabled as she walks with a stick. I’ve browsed the forum and tried to find answers to my problem and this is my understanding so far. As I’m in scotland I think I can ignore the ‘fine’ or I can speak to the store manager to try to have it cancelled? My concern is if I do the second option then I’ll have to admit to driving the vehicle which I thought perhaps I shouldn’t give my name? Any help or thoughts please would be much appreciated.

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This is Scotland so attempt a cancellation by the store. If they won't cancel then ignore all the reams of junk mail you will get unless it specifically says they are taking you to court.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who issued the ticket? I'm aware that in Scotland some disabled parking spaces, even in private car parks, are patrolled and enforced by local councils under the Disabled Persons' Parking Places (Scotland) Act 2009.

£40 also seems a bit low for the private parking cowboys we deal with on this board.
  • Jessicarat
    Options
    Thanks for replies! The ticket was issued by parking eye and it’s £70 but £40 if paid sooner.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jessicarat wrote: »
    Hi, I took my 84yr old neighbour shopping at Asda yesterday and parked in a disabled space. She has a blue parking permit but we forgot to display it. Got out to discover a yellow sticker on the windscreen with a demand for £40 if paid within a fortnight. Couldn’t see anyone around but if they had been observing they would clearly have seen that she is disabled as she walks with a stick. I’ve browsed the forum and tried to find answers to my problem and this is my understanding so far. As I’m in scotland I think I can ignore the ‘fine’ or I can speak to the store manager to try to have it cancelled? My concern is if I do the second option then I’ll have to admit to driving the vehicle which I thought perhaps I shouldn’t give my name? Any help or thoughts please would be much appreciated.

NOBODY drives cars in Scotland, only the keeper does
    Why ? because in Scotland they can only go after
    the driver.
    EDIT YOUR POST AS YOU ARE THE KEEPER

Complain to Asda, provide proof of purchases and as
    a customer request they cancel it. It's the best way
    Include a copy of the blue parking permit

It is a cheapo charge so who does the ticket ask
    you to pay ?????
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So the advice is to ignore, file the correspondence away for reference in the unlikely event they try court (they've got 5 years in Scotland).
  • Jessicarat
    Options
    Thanks again guys, it’s payable to parking eye!
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks again guys, it’s payable to parking eye!

OK, private parking ticket

Asda is your start to get this cancelled first

Of course you can ignore it in Scotland but you will
    get debt collector letters spouting pure rubbish which
    you don't want .... best try and get it cancelled
  • Jessicarat
    Options
    Thank you, I will try the store but should I give them my name as they might pass it on to parkingeye?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you, I will try the store but should I give them my name as they might pass it on to parkingeye?

Unlikely but you could have been a passenger in the car. I doubt they would pass it on anyway.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    my insurance allows me to drive your car ... with your permission of course... .... so imagine that I was driving that day!

you have received the invoice as keeper ....

you can let the manager know the keepers name ....

the important part is that a passenger is/was disabled ......

take any receipts from that day and or any lists of monies spent over the last months ... years ....

you could all ways spend that money else where ......

Ralph:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport