BEWARE - washing machine insurance cold calls

Comments

• Same here got a posh man a few days ago but he hung up when I said NO!
    I've been with the TPS for about 10 years but still the calls come,and not a home owner for 8 years but still get calls which show how old the lists must be.
    xx
  • These people just called me.
    What is interesting to me is where they got my telephone number from. Thought we had data protection laws these days?

We've had them for years. But the sorts of companies who are happy to cold call don't worry about regulations.
  • Our neighbour asks them to speak to his son as he does not have English as his first language, then he gives the phone to said son who is six years old and he loves to talk!
  • I just had the call from these Scammers - he said he was from SPG ( Service Provider Group) and that my warranty was about to expire - he said it was in my daughters name ( which he knew) so I might not be aware of it. I know this wasn't true and I asked him for my account details at which time he terminated the call and put the phone down.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    We've had them for years. But the sorts of companies who are happy to cold call don't worry about regulations.
    Or authorities who don't worry about enforcement because it means less time in the pub :)
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2018 at 5:36PM
    Just had one of these. The person goes through the script so quickly and starts of in a way that makes you think it is something you already have.

TPS seem to be hopeless these days.

Number i got on 1471 was 01618541293 look up gave me Repair and Assure as the company.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 October 2018 at 7:52AM
    Had another one yesterday from 0203 476 7414.
    I am beginning to suspect these calls are as a result of GDPR, simply because it has made opting out of marketing so complicated. Rather than just a simple NO, you either accept or have to go through a whole string of boxes to make sure you do not get bothered.

Started reporting direct to ico rather than through TPS.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was at a friends the other day when his phone rang. He started to have an argument with a recording. Even after the call ended he had no idea.
  • Had one this week, we're ex-directory and with TPS
  • sjpkgp
    sjpkgp Posts: 920 Forumite
    Just had a call from someone called 'Liam' - well spoken, english as first language, asked for my husband first by name, then me. Said he was from Service Provider Group and then said the cover on our washing machine had expired. He asked me the machine was still functioning well to which I responded yes, at which point he launched into a spiel as if I had said yes to extended the cover - i.e. said we would have unlimited cover for spare parts, call outs etc. I stopped him and said, yes but I have not said I want to extend the cover (I was concerned we had one of those repeating subscription type things on it, and by answering yes to the question about whether it was functioning, he had misinterpreted things) He then said, 'well that's up to you, I can extend it today for you' at which point I said, yes but it is surely going to cost money, at which point he hung up.
    Now feel a bit daft as I am pretty sure we haven't even got cover on our washing machine, and having done googling, I can see it is a scam. I very much doubt I would have given my bank details or even bought more cover (we don't tend to buy it) so no damage done, however I can see if someone did have washing machine cover, how they may get a bit confused and think the call was genuine. I think it's partly because it doesn't sound like many of the scam calls where there is a pause, it sounds distant, and the speaker usually does not have english as a first language - plus they say things that you are pretty certain haven't happened, i.e. you were in an accident, we have got a PP refund of £3000 for you etc... The number he called from was 0203 9886712.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback