Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    So here I am back from a couple of days working on Mum's old house and feeling a bit down about it. The heating is mostly in but some of the walls were in too poor a condition to fit radiators yet so the plastering will be done in the New Year then the job can be completed. It's really looking as though I won't be able to afford to keep it though and that's sad.

The other reason for feeling low - apart from getting tired - is that I spent all my time cleaning areas I've already done and boxes have been shifted into areas I had clear and habitable so they are now inaccessible. Then I fell on a slippery step and pulled a muscle which has stiffened up overnight so today I'm hugging the computer till the painkiller kicks in. Sigh.

However: the house is now warm for the first time in ages, the kitchen and bathroom are useable again and the bedroom I used is no longer heaped with stuff my sister has packed to keep. (That's going downstairs). It makes all the difference to have clear areas. I've also done a tiny corner of another bedroom, and stacked some bags of bedding all together there. I may as well leave that in case my sister wants it to cushion stuff that she packs.

I have also ordered a washing machine! SO good to have that to look forward to though it's a big expense and I had to go well over budget to get one delivered at a time I can accommodate. Then there are the extras on the boiler bill: they couldn't get to all the floor spaces due to furniture and carpets so they've had to put in a filter which cost over £200 but will protect the new boiler from sludge in the old pipes. I did discuss replacing the bathroom suit with a cheap modern one as the old one is wrecked and has to be removed to change the hot water pipes. Some hot water taps still don't work as the feeder pipes leaked and had to be sealed off, and they can't be replaced till the bath comes out. What's another £300 to £400 in the scheme of things?!

I'm at work this afternoon so probably won't get to do a financial update till later. Sorry to moan but it helps to quantify what's going on. And if I don't include that I've paid myself back out of the Executors' account, give me a kick in the right direction!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    By the sound of things I think you're entitled to moan!:eek:
    Hope the pulled muscle eases off soon. ((hugs))
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 18 December 2017 at 3:46PM
    Options
    A bit less moany today! :) The back is a bit better and I managed not to end up on the sick as my colleagues did all the physical work themselves and gave me admin to do.

I'm back in work this afternoon (and a shift with less physical work expected) but in the meantime I find Christmas is coming up alarmingly fast and I haven't sorted everyone's present, sent cards or wrapped everything! I thought I'd post here to keep myself working, and maybe include some financial stuff as I go along. I'm still awaiting the final invoice for the boiler but have made a payment on account to show willing. That all comes off the Exec account so doesn't need to show here. The payment I made for the washing machine and other bits off my own account isn't yet paid back as it's not yet showing up on the online banking and unless I wince my way over to the suitcase and grovel within for my notes, I can't remember exactly what it came to. Maybe later.

Food/housekeeping went quite well last week: again DH footed quite a lot of it so £10 from my share went to him but there is still some left over - about £6.50 give or take. I haven't worked out what share of the online shopping came from this budget (again, see suitcase. Maybe I had better brave it).

Meanwhile there is a load in the washer and a load in the dishwasher - thank goodness for machines! Also DS2's new shirt in the sink as I'm fairly sure the colour will run. I haven't sorted out whether I can reach to get them on the line so I think despite the lovely sunshine and dry conditions outside, they are going on the airer.

Will be back to edit if I make enough progress. :)

1pm update:
    Washing is on the airer... suitcases unpacked and ready for some kindly soul to take them to the loft.
    2.30 update:
    Hand washing also completed - 3 lots
    Another 2 presents ordered: £36.45
    Spends on the house transferred back to me (£741.78)
    Online shopping on 14th: total £60.49 of which £12 toiletries, £30 gift and £18.49 food - so I was £1.51 underspent on the food budget (result: happiness :D).
    Also £3.95 on Christmas hot chocolate on the way, train fare £52.20.

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And make time to have a cuppa ;)

It is really foggy here!

Hope your back is feeling better x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    And make time to have a cuppa ;)

It is really foggy here!

Hope your back is feeling better x

Of course. Have one with me? :coffee::coffee:

Painkillers doing their job very nicely thanks. :)

We have all the sunshine... hopefully you'll get some tomorrow. It's was freeeeezing when I went through your area the other day. Proper parky. How is littlest one? And yourself?

Just going to update my earlier post then off to work.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Aha! The fabled Day Off has arrived again! Feeling quite low as I had an out and out row with DS2 last night. :( One of those niggles that spilled over. We've made it up as much as possible but I feel I've done damage. :(

Anyway so far today I've done some gift wrapping so it's no longer all to do. I'm going to put cushion covers in to wash as there are a few little marks which have been annoying me. It's a lot milder than of late so perhaps the guinea pig can go out on the grass for a couple of hours and the covers can line-dry.

I need to check if there is any more I could be buying... that doesn't sound very MS, does it? And I still have a bundle of receipts I haven't reconciled.

Hopefully back later... if my bullet journal crops up in my travels I'm going to design a habit tracker for January which will once again include decluttering. It so needs to be done.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Cushion covers washed (ignoring the 'dry clean only' label: I'm pretty sure I've washed them before and it would cost more to dry clean them than it did to buy them in the first place. Anyway they seem to have survived).

Bathroom cleaned. My back feels a lot better so I felt able to attack the mould that gets on the ceiling and it's a lot better. Spent quite a while on it but quick cleans will probably get us through Christmas now.

Nothing spent yet today but I'm off to get food and laundry liquid so that won't last. I also have another online shop I'd like to do...

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better but don't do too much!

I'm sure you and DS will be back to normal soon, sometimes things have to be said even if we don't like hearing it. I'm sure while uncomfortable it was justified. x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I always feel awful if I have a tiff with any of the DC but I'm sure it will blow over. You will always be his mum, nothing can ever change that :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I think it will, but I don't think he'll forget. :( Still, time is helpful in these things and at least the lines of communication are open which makes a huge difference.

DD popped round today and I've given her part of her present in advance as she'll have a perfect opportunity to use it before Christmas. So we have a small amount more space! :D

I got quite a bit done at the shops including wrapping paper which we really don't need but it was very pretty! I did pick up some little gift bags and cellophane wrapper which I can use at other times of the year too. Food-wise, I couldn't carry the 29p veg at Mr T so will have to go back tomorrow or later. We didn't need them for tea tonight.

I'm on the look-out for over-stocked cream because I'll pounce on it to make butter. I threw out the remains of a tub of not-butter yesterday as it was OOD and tasted a bit off, and I've treated myself to a pack of the real stuff but it's 4 times what I pay if I make it myself. I also bought pre-prepared pigs in blankets which are probably more expensive than if I made them but will save prep when I know I won't have time.

This evening I put in another Christmas present order thanks to this site. Someone (I'm sorry I don't remember who) mentioned M&M D!rect which has turned out to be very useful. I forget how much they reckon they've saved me but some nice presents bought and I treated myself a little bit too. :)

I have a little dilemna: I'd like to buy a small gift for the staff at the nursing home where Mum used to be - but they always get chocolates and they buy flowers themselves to put in the hallway. I'm stuck! Things like alcohol and candles, which are such useful things in other circumstances, wouldn't be allowed for various reasons.

Spends for 19/12/17:
    Housekeeping £15.39
    Medication £0.25
    Clothing £3.99
    Gifts £43.79
    MS stuff:
    Pound shop mince pies and cappuccinos
    Detour to buy cheap but effective laundry liquid (Aston!sh)
    Gift bags and cellophane wrappers may well save some packing problems in future.
    Confession time:
    I am never going to be decluttered if I buy wrapping paper enough to last the next few years.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport