Keep Moving Challenge for 2018

Comments

• Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Well done, Need2bthifty. I find goals and challenges really help me focus.

18,306 steps and 34 stairs!

Before bedtime I may manage to make it to 20,000 (which is my challenge).
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    3 days in, 33 miles done on my way to a target of 3333, is that an omen or what? :D
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Todays step challenge completed total so far today 21 290 steps
  • daily total was 22,190 steps need to catch up on lazy start of week though x
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    3 days in, 33 miles done on my way to a target of 3333, is that an omen or what? :D

It's a sign of success I think Wiz!

I mentioned this before, but for the new people. I've been tracking my steps with a pedometer since 2007:eek: and my very first forum was fitbug - you got a pedometer and downloaded your steps. There was a lady on there, who got 35-40,000 steps every day. She went for a walk in the morning, walked into work, walked at lunch, found ways to walk to furthest away loos and photocopiers at work, walked home, went for another walk in the evening, if she was ont he phone to a friend, she paced the hall.

Tad obsessive!
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 4 January 2018 at 10:30AM
    I am convinced that different devises give different totals.
    I therefore only measure myself agains ME.
    I use google fit on a Huawei P9 lite smart phone. This can be downloaded to any smart phone and you keep the phone on your person all day.
    I am 73 years old.
    I started measuring in January 2015. During that year the very fact of measuring my steps spurred me to walk more.
    I was very happy with MY total steps in 2015 and was determined to walk even more in 2016.
    The Google fit app allows you to set a daily target and my target for 2016 was the 2015 total divided by 365.
    My 2016 total exceeded my 2015 total by 31% due to being aware of walking and my target always in my mind. Some days I exceeded my target very easily and others I fell well short.
    I then set a new daily target for 2017 which of course was the 2016 step total divided by 365(366)
    2017 has been a PERSONAL triumph FOR ME as I am only competing against myself.
    I exceeded my 2016 total by 8%
    I am a VERY happy Walker.
    I suspect at my age and without changing my presently well balanced lifestyle dramatically I have reached my plateau. I shall see. I will still have my NEW daily average set in my phone AND in my mind. If I can equal my 2017 total I will be very satisfied with my performance.
    Good luck and a happy new year to all walkers, however old and whatever your measuring devise or units.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • bugslet
    I think you are right gfplux. I'm sad enough to have checked my pedometer and know the steps it records are near enough right, give or take 1.

Certainly mileage doesn't correlate to effort, quite disheartening for those of us with a short stride :(.

Barney ( aka Barney Long Legs now:D) can walk 2500 miles doing 11500 steps a day. For short a*** here, it would be 16300 a day, a difference of 4800 steps a day, or annualised 1,752,000 steps.

'S'not fair * goes off to stamp foot and generally sulk*
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have revised my goals a little. This year I am going to aim for 1,000 miles with the dogs, plus whatever else I manage - last year I made 1,000 miles in total. I am also going to do 10,000 steps every day although that hasn't started well. DH has this week off and it is nice to have lunch with him so I am not going out for a walk at lunchtime as I plan to from next week. I work from home and sit at a desk all day so I think fresh air at lunchtime would be a good idea.
    Not yet on target but I sat in the car for many hours on 1st Jan so I am playing catchup for that.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bugslet wrote: »
    I think you are right gfplux. I'm sad enough to have checked my pedometer and know the steps it records are near enough right, give or take 1.

Certainly mileage doesn't correlate to effort, quite disheartening for those of us with a short stride :(.

Barney ( aka Barney Long Legs now:D) can walk 2500 miles doing 11500 steps a day. For short a*** here, it would be 16300 a day, a difference of 4800 steps a day, or annualised 1,752,000 steps.

'S'not fair * goes off to stamp foot and generally sulk*

That is why I measure both steps and miles. I have long legs so my 2.5 mile walk with the dogs only gives me 5,000 steps which is half way to my steps target but most of the way to my miles one. I only include 'boots on' miles so anything earned wandering around the house etc doesn't count.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bugslet
    Obviously Mallygirl, there are striders and mincers.

I am a mincer :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport