What is the average electricity units per day?

Comments

• mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Electric hobs were inherited so can't check, I'll turn them all back on and count a thousand flashes and see if the reading changes. lol
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    We seem to be rather high users in spite of being fairly careful :eek:
    We have no gas so use oil central heating boiler to heat water in the summer as well as through the winter for heating/water. Immersion has been broken for years so we don't use that.
    We do have several 300w security halogens which are expensive. None of our appliances are all that new so they're probably not as cheap to run as the newer stuff. I use tumble drier as sparingly as possible.
    There's someone in 24/7 so the kettle is on regularly!

22.5kw average over 400+ days
    :wave:
  • farhad1965
    farhad1965 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Ours is 17.42 kilowatt hours per day. 4 people in a 4 bed detached house.
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,595
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When our last bill came we were averaging 40 units a day. I queried it and they said you must be all electric you are using double the average family. No I said. The culprit was an oil fired keeping conservatory warm, we had it on all the time, the meter was whizzing round. We have now put a timer on it, Using now about 20 or slightly more on a weekend.
  • mikeopvc
    Forumite
    I got you all beat with my 30 a day habit, I actually should start a new site.
    MONEY WASTING EXPERT:o
    Serious detective work going on at my house tommorrow, theres got to be a hidden immersion on constant or something similar.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Actually, the 10% figure wasn't mine; the "quote" function wouldn't let me "quote" a "quote", so I had to cut and paste. My text is in the black, espresso's in red.

You did WHAT!

That is simply not cricket old chap.
  • Checked again today, husband says im obsessed,lol! Last 24 hours used 12 units,thats more like it!

I just put it down to there being 6 of us in a 4 bed detatched house.
  • mikeopvc
    Forumite
    sassybabee33, my says I'm obsessed too. I have the meter cupboard door open to monitor the reading and also the flash rate of the red light. If I see it flashing rapidly I'm like "whos got something switched on? turn it off your wasting electric" Very sad I know but I'm really baffled by my high usage, I've used 14 units since 6pm last night.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Can I join in the nitpicking mode?

I have never seen a figure as low as 10%, but of course will take your word that it is possible. I would be interested to see that tariff and consumption some time though.

The tariff was EDF Seaboard in this recent thread here.
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Actually, the 10% figure wasn't mine; the "quote" function wouldn't let me "quote" a "quote", so I had to cut and paste. My text is in the black, espresso's in red.

Tut Tut indeed.

While we are in full nit-picking mode ! to respond fully to espresso's post:-

1. You do have TWO meters for Economy 7 - you can't get two readings off one meter ! the two meters may well be in the same housing but they are still two meters.

[Pedant mode ON]
    Well actually you are wrong! If you look at the meter pictured above, you will see a live & neutral supply in, a live & neutral load out and a timeswitch control wire. There is only one metering element in the box but it's output is directed to different memory registers and displays, dependant on the timeswitch control wire. Read the specification for these meters and you will find proof of this, only one metering element.
    [/Pedant mode OFF]

33x7ntf.jpg
    In the stone age when I was a lad, you used to have two separate housings, one black and one white if I remember.

Some areas still do have separate white meters but remember that meters, depending on their type have a service life of up to 25 years, so that point depends rather on your age.

2. My use of the word "lot" came from the fact that the OP didn't seem to use much power at night so the usage would have to increase a "lot" by the use of storage heaters or such to make it worthwhile.

I hope you were paying attention, because I may be asking questions later ! ;)

Yes I'm paying attention but I still believe that there a lot of people who have never actually 'done the sums regarding E7' and simply believe that without storage heaters, it is an uneconomic tariff. There are lots of appliances that are powered up 24/7. Some consumers have an additional large chest freezer, tropical fish tanks and heat lamps used for other exotic pets etc, garden pool heaters and filtration pumps etc. PC servers and many other types of electronic equipment i.e. surveillance cameras/video recorders, high power security lights etc. etc. the list goes on and on but obviously does not apply to all. I'm simply saying that to say, no storage heaters, no E7 is not always the case.

:doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Yes I'm paying attention but I still believe that there a lot of people who have never actually 'done the sums regarding E7' and simply believe that without storage heaters, it is an uneconomic tariff. There are lots of appliances that are powered up 24/7. Some consumers have an additional large chest freezer, tropical fish tanks and heat lamps used for other exotic pets etc, garden pool heaters and filtration pumps etc. PC servers and many other types of electronic equipment i.e. surveillance cameras/video recorders, high power security lights etc. etc. the list goes on and on but obviously does not apply to all. I'm simply saying that to say, no storage heaters, no E7 is not always the case.

I think espresso wrote the above!!!!!

Agree with the quote, but as I said above, it ain't always easy to work out what is best - even for those of us who understand electricity tariffs.

From what little work I did, the tariff with the lowest break-even point isn't the always cheapest.

I was originally on E7 and couldn't make it pay - even when working at it(I have Gas CH)

However there is another factor that persuaded me to change back to a normal tariff. To maximise E7 consumption we used to run washing machine, dishwasher, and sometimes dryer, at night.

This often meant putting on the Dishwasher when it was far from full, but wouldn't have lasted another day, there would be room for example to put in the breakfast dishes and any glasses taken to the bedrooms.

Also, in some accomodation, dishwashers and washing machines create a noise problem - their use is banned at night in some blocks of flats.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure