IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Met PCN- late demand for £100

Hi, We received a MET PCN back in April, I responded to it straightaway with the normal template type of letter listing the various non compliance with the BPA code of conduct and asked for a POPLA appeal code. I heard nothing back and assumed they had thrown in the towel but yesterday a Parking Charge Reminder arrived with 7 days to pay £100.
The last sentence says "Further information including how to pay, the right to appeal (please be advised that the independent appeals service (POPLA) is no longer available) etc. can be found on the reverse of this letter.

I'm not sure what options are open to me now as I was pinning my hopes on POPLA. Does this mean that it's been disbanded and that it's free for all for these cowboys?

(sorry but I have forgotten how to attach files to the post)

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Complain to the BPA and DVLA that you never received a PoPLA code thus denying you the opportunity to appeal. Send a copy to the scammers as well.

Complain to your MP, Mrs May, and the landowner.

There is not much else you can do except wait to see if they want to try court. You can safely ignore debt colectors of course..
    Which template did you use? Hopefully it was the one from the NEWIES thread, not the dreadful not the "official MSE" version that gives away the driver's identity.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    did you send your appeal by email or by royal mail , I presume you kept a screen shot or proof of posting?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • AJ16
    AJ16 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Complain to the BPA and DVLA that you never received a PoPLA code thus denying you the opportunity to appeal. Send a copy to the scammers as well.

There is not much else you can do except wait to see if they want to try court. You can safely ignore debt colectors of course..
    Which template did you use? Hopefully it was the one from the NEWIES thread, not the dreadful not the "official MSE" version that gives away the driver's identity.

Hey thanks Fruitcake, I'm puzzled as the POPLA website appears to be functioning normally indicating that they are alive and well, the BPA website also shows Met Parking as being members so what gives??

No I didn't use the MSE template, I have made a couple of successful appeals against ECP over the past 18months or so so used those as reference and tweaked them accordingly to suit the circumstance.

MET PCN & my April letter- see links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9frfrx5bovxplyg/MET%20Parking%20notice_Page_1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9frfrx5bovxplyg/MET%20Parking%20notice_Page_1.jpg?dl=0

• AJ16
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    did you send your appeal by email or by royal mail , I presume you kept a screen shot or proof of posting?

It was sent Royal Mail, probably I just put a stamp on the envelope and posted it back. Even if it got lost in the mail it would seem odd that they waited over two months to get their £100.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AJ16 wrote: »
    Hey thanks Fruitcake, I'm puzzled as the POPLA website appears to be functioning normally indicating that they are alive and well, the BPA website also shows Met Parking as being members so what gives??

It should be quite obvious that they either didn't receive your appeal or received and ignored it, thus you are now outside the window for POPLA to consider your case.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Fruitcake wrote: »

As above, quite simple.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Apcoa ignored my son in law's appeal last December. I complained like mad to all and sundry and they finally issued a PoPla code late last month. No explanation, no apology.

Send a written complaint to your local Trading Standards Office as well as those mentioned in post 2.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • AJ16
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    As above, quite simple.

Morning CM (legend),

Thanks for that I did try writing to the DVLA last December about them releasing my address to ECP but never got a reply. I used this address-

Release of Information
    Paying Enquiries Section
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1AJ

Do you know of a more suitable one I could use?
    cheers.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    AJ16 wrote: »
    Morning CM (legend),

Thanks for that I did try writing to the DVLA last December about them releasing my address to ECP but never got a reply. I used this address-

Release of Information
    Paying Enquiries Section
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1AJ

Do you know of a more suitable one I could use?
    cheers.

Use this email address:

david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

David Dunford is the manager of the data sharing team. He is the person to contact, but not about the release of your address. Like it or not, it is a legitimate action in the context of private parking.

You complain to him about the refusal to issue you with a POPLA code.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • AJ16
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Use this email address:

david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

David Dunford is the manager of the data sharing team. He is the person to contact, but not about the release of your address. Like it or not, it is a legitimate action in the context of private parking.

You complain to him about the refusal to issue you with a POPLA code.

Many thanks Umkomaas (another peoples' legend), I will do that today.

I only wrote to them about the other matter as recommended in another posting last year, I will update that post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure