Any advice about sending a high mileage car back to dealer after 6 weeks

abailey54
abailey54 Posts: 1,581 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi, I wondered if anyone had any advice for me

I bought a second hand car 6 weeks ago from a dealer, it's from 2009 and had a mileage of ~110k and I guess I did around 1.2k miles in the time I've had it

It has developed a fault (I have no idea what that is yet) and I've taken it back to be looked at

The warranty only covers up to £250, so I'm concerned that if it turns out to be expensive then I'm going to be a bit stuck

I understand there's some consumer rights around this, however there seems to be a big emphasis on it being satisfactory quality taking into account age, mileage etc

So, from my point of view, driving a car around for 6 weeks is not satisfactory, but from their point of view, it's an old car with a high mileage that could be expected to fall apart at any minute so it's my problem

I'm not going to hide that I'm completely clueless about cars, so any advice at all would be appreciated

Final cigarette smoked 02/01/18
Weight loss 2017 28lbs
Weight gain 2018 8lbs :rotfl:

Comments

• caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    What is the fault ? What Car , How much paid.
  • abailey54
    edited 13 July 2017 at 10:08AM
    Nissan note, £2400, I don't know what the fault is, could be a gearbox issue or something to do with the cooling system or possibly exhaust, I'm clueless about cars

Also I was led to believe that the price was slightly lower due to damage to the paintwork (a few scratches and has been keyed)
    Weight loss 2017 28lbs
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Within 30 days of purchase, you have a right for a refund if any faults develop that are covered by consumer rights legislation.
    Beyond that point, the supplier has a right to repair.

So what faults are covered? Basically, anything that's not reasonable to expect for a car of that age/mileage/apparent condition. So at 110k and 8yr old, there's plenty that is reasonable to expect.

You were happy to buy the car with a warranty with a maximum claim limit of £250 - you could have paid more for a higher limit warranty. An aftermarket warranty is basically just an insurance policy priced so that you receive back more than you pay in if your car is significantly less reliable than expected.
    I don't know what the fault is, could be a gearbox issue or something to do with the cooling system or possibly exhaust...

Give us a description of the symptoms.
  • abailey54
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Within 30 days of purchase, you have a right for a refund if any faults develop that are covered by consumer rights legislation.
    Beyond that point, the supplier has a right to repair.

So what faults are covered? Basically, anything that's not reasonable to expect for a car of that age/mileage/apparent condition. So at 110k and 8yr old, there's plenty that is reasonable to expect.

You were happy to buy the car with a warranty with a maximum claim limit of £250 - you could have paid more for a higher limit warranty. An aftermarket warranty is basically just an insurance policy priced so that you receive back more than you pay in if your car is significantly less reliable than expected.

Give us a description of the symptoms.

Thank you

I have just received a call and it was a wheel bearing (sp?) replacement
    Weight loss 2017 28lbs
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    abailey54 wrote: »

It has developed a fault (I have no idea what that is yet) and I've taken it back to be looked at

:)
    I don't know what the fault is, could be a gearbox issue or something to do with the cooling system or possibly exhaust, I'm clueless about cars

Well, it had to be something.:rotfl:
  • AdrianC
    And they're sorting it? Good. It's absolutely fair wear and tear, though.

That should be well within £250, anyway - although it might be more if it's one of those bloody sealed-unit hubs that includes the ABS sensor. Note, you say? <quick look> Ah, it isn't. Good.

Don't be surprised if they say "We've done brake discs and pads because the old ones weren't worth putting back in".
  • abailey54
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Well, it had to be something.:rotfl:

I did say I was clueless :rotfl:

Turns out google isn't a suitable replacement for a qualified mechanic :p
    Weight loss 2017 28lbs
  • abailey54
    And they're sorting it? Good. It's absolutely fair wear and tear, though.

That should be well within £250, anyway - although it might be more if it's one of those bloody sealed-unit hubs that includes the ABS sensor. Note, you say? <quick look> Ah, it isn't. Good.

Don't be surprised if they say "We've done brake discs and pads because the old ones weren't worth putting back in".

Thank you AdrianC for the info, that does sound promising :)
    Weight loss 2017 28lbs
  • AdrianC
    Turns out google isn't a suitable replacement for a qualified mechanic :p
    I'm intrigued as to what you googled for, to come out with a wheel bearing could be cooling/gearbox/exhaust...
  • abailey54
    I'm intrigued as to what you googled for, to come out with a wheel bearing could be cooling/gearbox/exhaust...

It was just the noise the engine sounded like it was making, particularly over 30mph, didn't sound like 4th and 5th gear were 'working' and the engine seemed really hot checking the oil an hour after it had been driven (I didn't type all of that into google, obvs)
    Weight loss 2017 28lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills