Henlys corner exit from A1 south onto A406 west

littlerock
littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Is there anyone who can point me to an accurate map or explanation of how to exit effectively from the AI south onto the A406 west? I have had to do this twice recently and both times have been misled by my Garmin GPS which tells me to take slip road left off the A1 onto the roundabout. I repeated the manoeuvre twice today and concluded there are 2 slip roads forming the point of a V where they leave the A1 and I have been taking the outer instead of the inner one. But even then I am confused about the best approach lane to be in to approach the 4th (A 406 west) exit from Henlys corne. I have tried to find an accurate map to study the road layout but failed. Can anyone help?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 July 2017 at 12:45AM
    Is google maps/streetview upto date?

Depending on traffic conditions.

Jump onto the M1 and then exit J1 turning right (in a convoluted way)?
    or
    A1 Watford Way keeping right onto A41 Watford Way which changes to A41 Hendon Way. Turn right at roundabout under Brent Cross Flyover?

Or jump over to the A5 towards Edgeware and down?

So many options.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Jump onto the M1 and then exit J1 turning right (in a convoluted way)?
    or
    A1 Watford Way keeping right onto A41 Watford Way which changes to A41 Hendon Way. Turn right at roundabout under Brent Cross Flyover?

The above is nothing to do with Henlys Corner.
    If you leave the A1 exit in the middle or right hand lane you will go across Henlys Corner fine and then you need to move in before the next traffic light at which the A1 and A406 fork.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    After the A1 joins the A406 East, stay in the LH lane and take the first signed exit for Finchley, Golders Green, A598. This puts you on Charter Way.

Follow Charter way to its other end, and turn right onto the A598 / regents Park Rd, signposted Golders Green and Hampstead.

Keep to the right hand lane of Regents Park Rd (road paint advising A406 West).

As you now approach Henly Corner from the North, keep to the two right hand lanes and follow the road signs for N Circular A406 West / Watford A1 North.

eta: No, I've never driven it but I don't use a sat nav so can still read a map :D
  • khcomp
    khcomp Posts: 207 Forumite
    Which roundabout are you referring to, OP?
    If you follow the road signs on the A1, or most sat navs, you'll be directed to turn right into Finchley Lane to join the A406 West; there's no Westbound access directly from the A1 onto the A406, and, - as Joe Horner has said, the only other way is to join the A406 East, then leave it & rejoin as you can't do a U turn, and there's no roundabout at Henley's Corner.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    problem is my sat nav has been advising to take left slip road ! and I wanted to see detailed road map so I could work out ,both correct route and also which lanes to position myself in to turn right onto A406
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 7:00AM
    OP a quick look at google maps shows the correct route to take

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.590028,-0.2009892,17z

Stay in the left lane as you come from the A1, take the slip road (Charter Way) turn right onto Regents Park Rd and then right onto the A406W but there are easier ways.

The junction isn't designed for turning right onto the A406, that's what the A41 is for.

Where does your journey start from?
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    OP a quick look at google maps shows the correct route to take

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.590028,-0.2009892,17z

Stay in the left lane as you come from the A1, take the slip road (Charter Way) turn right onto Regents Park Rd and then right onto the A406W but there are easier ways.

The junction isn't designed for turning right onto the A406, that's what the A41 is for.

Where does your journey start from?

That suggestion looks good except for getting off the roundabout onto the A406W slip road where the roads appear not to be aligned. Maybe that's a Google glitch although the misalignment shows up both on the map and the satellite views. On the other hand the sat. View shows the appropriate painted arrow on the tarmac so it must be ok.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    reeac wrote: »
    That suggestion looks good except for getting off the roundabout onto the A406W slip road where the roads appear not to be aligned. Maybe that's a Google glitch although the misalignment shows up both on the map and the satellite views. On the other hand the sat. View shows the appropriate painted arrow on the tarmac so it must be ok.

yes it does look a bit odd but it does work, I've done it :)
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    Have now looked at Google street level which shows it to be ok although the geometry of the junction is rather awkward.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This isn't that hard a junction... Have you considered looking away from the satnav, and following the rather obvious signs and lane markings?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure