The Big Adventure

Comments

• The writing sounds really interesting, do let us know if you publish online as I would like to read it. I saw the play of 'The Woman in Black' in London and found it terrifying in parts! I went a second time with a school trip and was still scared. A really good production. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    That's good news re. the extra £200 per month from Mr G's pension. :)

The writing sounds very interesting. :) At the moment I am collecting some old photos and writing down my father's memories. I never knew any of his family as he chose to become estranged from them at a young age. Recently, he's become quite reminiscent of the past and wants to tell me about his life rather than hiding the truth about his family / past. Only today I took him to see the street he grew up on as a child and we took some photos.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    The writing sounds really interesting, do let us know if you publish online as I would like to read it. I saw the play of 'The Woman in Black' in London and found it terrifying in parts! I went a second time with a school trip and was still scared. A really good production. Glad you enjoyed it.

As we went to the theatre on a Thursday afternoon, there were a few school parties there, and they all seemed to enjoy it, although the boys in front of me were watching it through their hands at some points
    AlexLK wrote: »
    That's good news re. the extra £200 per month from Mr G's pension. :)

The writing sounds very interesting. :) At the moment I am collecting some old photos and writing down my father's memories. I never knew any of his family as he chose to become estranged from them at a young age. Recently, he's become quite reminiscent of the past and wants to tell me about his life rather than hiding the truth about his family / past. Only today I took him to see the street he grew up on as a child and we took some photos.

I previously quoted the pension amount wrong, it's £200 a WEEK more, not £200 a month! So it seems like mega bucks.

I'm glad you are talking to your father about his family history. I talked to my parents quite a bit about family stories, but since I've been actively tracing our family history, there is so much more I would like to ask, but no longer have the opportunity. Also it'll be nice for you to pass on the stories to your son.

The smart meter we had installed last week is excellent. You can enter a daily target or limit, and if it thinks you are going to exceed the limit a red light will come on. So it makes you think about turning lights off etc.

Apart from that it's all fairly quiet.

I've renewed my passport and got the ESTA for the USA and the Visas for Australia. It's all done fairly simply online, but it's a bit traumatic, as you always think they are not going to allow you in to their country! Slightly less than three months to go, before we leave on our trip of a lifetime.

We're going to see a live version of the Railway Children in London on Wednesday, so it should be good
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've seen The Woman in Black twice at the theatre - the first time years ago in London - it's a brilliant play. The film isn't bad - but the play is better (imo) :D

Amazing news on the pension! - Loads of extra money!!! :D

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    We're going to see a live version of the Railway Children in London on Wednesday, so it should be good
    Daddy, my daddy crybaby.gifcrybaby.gifcrybaby.gif. Enjoy :)

I saw Woman in Black years ago, scared the bejesus out of me! I have the book on my Kindle but not brave enough to read it :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • I loved The Railway Children. So glad it is back on. Just pure escapist loveliness! Have a great time.:j
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The writing sounds really interesting, do let us know if you publish online as I would like to read it.
    Me too, please!
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Photos are amazing in family history! We have some snaps from the 1930s, when the family took a 20 minute train ride and my grandad pitched a tent in a farmer's field, and the whole family lived there for the whole of the school holidays.

And pride of place is the earliest photo I have, a wedding photo taken in 1903, it's very poignant.
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I previously quoted the pension amount wrong, it's £200 a WEEK more, not £200 a month! So it seems like mega bucks.
    Thats amazing, I'm chuffed for you both!
    I'm glad you are talking to your father about his family history. I talked to my parents quite a bit about family stories, but since I've been actively tracing our family history, there is so much more I would like to ask, but no longer have the opportunity.
    I feel that too, but at least I started so young that I got to ask my grandparents the questions too :eek:
    I've renewed my passport and got the ESTA for the USA and the Visas for Australia. It's all done fairly simply online, but it's a bit traumatic, as you always think they are not going to allow you in to their country! Slightly less than three months to go, before we leave on our trip of a lifetime.
    Thats going to be brilliant, I just know it. You globe trotter, you :):):)
    I must be the only person here that it never really spoke to :o I liked it, but thats all :o:o:o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Goldiegirl
    Goodness me, it's been a while since I've been here.

Railway Children was excellent. The audience sat on two 'railway platforms', and we were right at the front, so we had a great view.

I cant believe it is so near Christmas. The weather is still so nice, and we've been able to get out for lots of walks.

We had a short weekend break a couple of weeks ago. It was a coach trip, and the main reason was to see a 'Christmas Spectacular' show in Thursford, Norfolk. It's in it 40th year, and it really is a huge production now, in the heart of the Norfolk countryside. Well worth the trip

The Christmas tree went up yesterday. We have new lights on it this year, and given it a whole new look.

Most Christmas food already ordered or bought. We're paying with M&S loyalty points or Nectar points accumulated throughout the year, so very little in the way of real money has been spent on this
  • Goldiegirl
    Review of 2016

In 2015 I remember I had about 24 items on my year plan, which I now realise was completely crazy. Therefore, I was determined to simplify for 2016, and I think I was, in the main, successful. I still keep a monthly spending diary, as I find this the easiest way to manage our finances, but all the other notes and charts I had been doing are now gone.

The main event was Mr Goldie reaching State Pension age in October. Now that he gets his state Pension, it has made me feel a lot more secure, and I certainly feel that we are more comfortable than before.

Now to look at the individual items on my plan for 2016

1 - Carry on doing what we did in 2015.

Achieved - I’ve carried on with all the things I had been doing like menu planning, batch cooking, checking expenditure at the end of the month. It’s like a well oiled machine now, and it seems to work. My main barometer for spending is the supermarket shopping. In 2016, we spent, on average, £222.81 in the supermarket each month, down by £4.44 each month from 2015. In other areas of essential spending such as gas, electric, car, council tax etc, some were a few pounds up, others a few pounds down. I can live with that.

Up until October, we were able to save around £200 at the end of each month, after all our expenditure, including leisure spending. I’ve been saving this in various ‘pots’, with names like ‘glasses’ and ‘dentist’. From October onwards, we are now saving all of Mr Goldie’s state pension, for larger future spending, such as holidays, furniture, and things like that

2 – Open a S&S ISA. We have too much of our savings in cash, so I want to place a smallish amount in S&S, and see how it performs

Achieved - We both opened a S&S ISA, and we also opened a SIPP each. Mr Goldie transferred his remaining pensions to the SIPP as well. It’s been a bit of a rollercoaster with the share prices. As I write the valuation is slightly down. But its long term money, so we will just have to roll with it

3 – Transfer £1060 of my unused tax allowance to Mr Goldie, ready for when he has to start paying tax again in October.

Achieved - I did this online, and it was very easy. We both got our new tax codes and it was a stress free experience. (rare when dealing with Inland Revenue)

4 - As we’ll have a bigger household income from October, I want to start making voluntary NI contributions, to increase my state pension to the maximum amount.Therefore find out how to do this and make the arrangements.

Partially achieved - To get the most benefit, you need to make a full years NI contribution. I’ve been saving £60 per month since April, and intend to make the 2016-2017 contribution in one lump at the end of the tax year.I’ll need to do this for the next 5 years or so, then I’ll get the full New State Pension.

To sum up, I’m pleased with progress this year, both financially and personally. We’ve spent much more time going out and about, and have been walking on a regular basis. It’s been just over two years since we stopped working, and it takes a while to get fully ‘into’ retirement, but I think our mindset has now forgotten about the working world.
  • Goldiegirl
    2017 and beyond

The plan is quite simple

I’m going to carry on doing what I’ve been doing for the last three years, it seems to work.

I realise that I’m in a good position now, so I intend to start marking a monthly charity donation. I’ll be selecting smaller local charities, rather than the large multi- national ones.

I originally started my diary in 2014, in preparation for early retirement, and then after retirement, to get us through to the time when Mr Goldie got his state pension in October this year.

I’ve now reached that destination, and as a result, my contributions to my diary have become rather sporadic.
    I may contribute occasionally in future, but I feel my diary has run its course for now, so this seems a good point to close down, at least for the foreseeable future.

I won’t mention names in case I miss anybody out, but there are many people who I have got to know over the last three years, who I have great respect for and who I think of very fondly. I’ve learnt a great deal and have been inspired by suggestions and ideas.

Thank you to everyone who has commented on my diary. When I started, I was afraid no one would read my diary, so it was wonderful when people started commenting. It means a lot to me.

I also became involved with other peoples diaries, and have posted regularly on some of them. You are a great bunch of people. I will still look in from time to time, even if I don’t post much.

Good luck to all MFW’s, as you follow your path and achieve your dreams
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family