Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Some shock news, Vattenfall have beaten the record for cheapest off-shore wind bid, set recently by Dong Energy.

They've come in at €60/MWh, though like the Dong contract it won't reflect connection costs and grid infrastructure, which could increase the 'real' price by 20% to 30%. Also it's a relatively easy install.

Regardless, it's a fantastic price.

Wind-Power Price Driven to Record in North Sea by Vattenfall

There's also a small reference to the UK:
    The rapid plunge in the cost of offshore wind farms is fueling a debate about whether the U.K. government should back that technology or nuclear reactors to ensure cleaner electricity supplies in the next few decades. Vattenfall’s units would generate cheaper than the 92.50 pounds a megawatt-hour the Hinkley Point nuclear station needs if it’s to be built by Electricitie de France SA.

[Note: The £92.50 figure is in 2012 prices, and for comparison is now £102/MWh or €121/MWh.]

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There was a piece on the BBC this morning about the proposed 3.7MW nuclear reactor in Cumbria with a suggested price tag of £10bn - isn't this an awful lot less than the smaller Hinkley C?

And I think it was based on a design already built and operating successfully elsewhere in the world. I know the French are our European partners and all that but is it part of UK industrial policy to overpay for a French still on the drawing board reactor without which the EDF manufacturing bit will go broke?
    I think....
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    michaels wrote: »
    There was a piece on the BBC this morning about the proposed 3.7MW nuclear reactor in Cumbria with a suggested price tag of £10bn - isn't this an awful lot less than the smaller Hinkley C?

And I think it was based on a design already built and operating successfully elsewhere in the world. I know the French are our European partners and all that but is it part of UK industrial policy to overpay for a French still on the drawing board reactor without which the EDF manufacturing bit will go broke?
    Hi

Think of it in terms of pfi ... it's not what it costs to build, it's how/what you'll be paying over time .... if a <£50million school can cost the education authority almost £0.5billion over the term of a pfi contract, which figure becomes important from the proposer's viewpoint ?? ....

HTH
    Z

(ps ... :shhh: .. it's GW! .. ;))
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    michaels wrote: »

Hiya.

Hinkley started off at £12bn, which then rose to £18bn, and is now estimated at £24bn, which includes the financing costs - remember nuclear is 'even' more expensive to build as you are outlaying monies for 10yrs or so, with no income (generation to sell) so financing is a major part.

The Cumbria plant at £10bn sounds better value, it's also slightly larger at 3.8GW (v's 3.2GW). Only guessing, but I don't know if that build cost includes financing.

Also, as you say, this is based on existing technology, whereas the EPR at HPC is 'new' and there have been no end of problems so far at the two current build sites (France and Finland).

The Cumbria design though, doesn't currently have approval in the UK, only the EPR design has been signed off, but I doubt that's a major issue.

But as Z points out, it's not really about the build cost, that's just an indicator, which often doesn't work, it's all about the agreed strike price. Fingers crossed it's a more sensible amount, especially given the current wind and PV rates.

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    For anyone who remembers Desertec, the idea to link all of Europe's grids and also N. African PV & CSP, here's the Asian equivalent of a proposed super-grid:

China, Japan, Russia, & South Korea Plan Renewable Energy Super Grid
    Entrepreneurs in China, South Korea, Russia, and Japan have signed a Memorandum of Understanding that seeks to create the Asia Super Grid. It will transmit electrical power from renewable sources from areas of the world that are best able to produce it to consumers in other parts of the world.
    Meanwhile, the price of wind and solar power is falling rapidly. Zhenya said recent PV bid prices for projects in the United Arab Emirates and Chile were as low as 3 U.S. cents per kilowatt-hour. Consequently, “according to our calculations, the cost efficiency (of wind and solar generation) will be more than fossil fuel energy by 2025,” he predicted. The next step, said Zhenya, is to study the technology challenges involved with developing and laying submarine cables to speed up implementation of Northeast Asia interconnections.

Zhenya ended his talk on an upbeat note, saying that with wisdom and an open mind, GEI (global energy interconnection) can be achieved by 2050 as the way to transition to sustainable, low-carbon energy that will benefit everyone. The technology exists. All that remains is finding the political will to make it happen. Perhaps the urgency of the need to stop filling the atmosphere with deadly carbon pollutants will help spur a sense of renewed understanding and cooperation among the nations of the world.

Mart.

• Martyn1981
    Looking at the Gridwatch charts for yesterday around 3pm suggests that wind (including non-metered supply side generation) may have briefly been the single biggest generator in the UK.

If not, then it must have been very close to both gas, and nuclear output.

Ok, only briefly, only one day, and a low demand period, but onwards and upwards.

Mart.

• I'd imagine solar wasn't too bad for the time of year, either. I generated nearly 20kWh on Friday and nearly 13 yesterday. Not being one of the obsessive monitors I can't compare with other years or periods, but it must all contribute to keeping FF usage down.
  • Martyn1981
    I'd imagine solar wasn't too bad for the time of year, either. I generated nearly 20kWh on Friday and nearly 13 yesterday. Not being one of the obsessive monitors I can't compare with other years or periods, but it must all contribute to keeping FF usage down.

According to PV Live, Friday saw 41.7GWh of PV and a peak of 6.06GW, and Saturday was 27.7GWh with a peak of 4.46GW.

Gridwatch doesn't track PV generation, so it shows up as reduced demand. At 3pm yesterday PV generation was approx 2GW, thus reducing demand (on Gridwatch) by 2GW. The same would apply to un-metered wind, which was probably 2-3GW (on top of the metered 6GW) at 3pm.

Regarding comparisons to previous years, PV Live will be useful, once it's been around for a few years. Unfortunately, at the moment the only winter it has reflects the poor Jan 16, and the horrific Nov/Dec 15 results. There's also the PV additions from Q1 16 to take account of, that will skew comparisons.

Assuming we get a normalish winter this year, we should be able to see what a yearly curve for the UK looks like by Feb 17.

Mart.

• My Daughters solar panel Company went bust (about a year ago I think ) the unit in her loft which operates the system has now packed up and is still under 3 year guarantee. The insurance company has now also gone into administration and they have been told they have to pay 350.00 to have a new unit fitted. Any suggestions on where they can get help please ?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I guess the invertor may be under the manufacturers warranty so your daughter would need to tal k to them re replacement but then find a local fitter who can actually do the swap out for her at her expense.
    I think....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure