Comments

• dodgy123
    dodgy123 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Mossey2 wrote: »
    Milton Keynes Council
    Council Tax band D
    Lowered to band C
    Refund £1774

Amazed. Was so simple to do thanks to this site. Thank you Martin !

Me and Mossey2 showing MK council how its done, got £1280 back this week. Also got some very happy neighbours who've had theirs reduced too
  • I have a band c property and have been in the same house for 17 years and now been told by my neighbour that the properties in the street should be on a band B can I claim for this 17 years? And what is chance of succeeding in trying to claim and change to correct band ? Can anyone advise me the best way to go about this.

Kind regards

Charlotte
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,638 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Steve191r wrote: »
    I have a band c property and have been in the same house for 17 years and now been told by my neighbour that the properties in the street should be on a band B can I claim for this 17 years? And what is chance of succeeding in trying to claim and change to correct band ? Can anyone advise me the best way to go about this.

Kind regards

Charlotte

Why does your neighbour believe the CT bands should be Band B?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • I challenged my banding and my band was reduced and i received a £5800 refund thank's Martin
  • Liverpool City Council
    Previous Band: E
    New Band: D
    Refund: £6400
    New saving: £450 annually

I used all the information on this website and thoroughly researched everything before challenging. The neighbours' check was clearly the deciding factor!
  • PLYMOUTH CITY COUNCIL
    Was BAND C; now BAND B
    Refund - £1468.01

Did the 2 things suggested - compared house values to 2 local houses as suggested, and compared their banding compared to mine. They were in B, I was in C for 10 years!
    Sent off the info and got the standard letter saying it was rejected, but in small print it said but call as there may be circumstances permission to look at it will be granted. So I called, told them to the 2 things over the phone and they looked themselves at the banding whilst on the phone. Didn't hear any more for a few weeks until a letter today. Yay. Thank you MSE! :)
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Uniform Washer Debt-free and Proud!
    Worcestershire County Council changed my band from D to E after we moved last year.

Appealed and band was changed back to D.

Happy days....
  • i challenged my band and have been told from the council without proof of sale price from 1991 - nothing can be done

is this correct?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,638 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mrlapes wrote: »
    i challenged my band and have been told from the council without proof of sale price from 1991 - nothing can be done

is this correct?

It will be the Valuation Office Agency who said this as they deal with CT bands not the council. Your band can be reviewed without this information, find similar properties nearby in a lower band and inform VOA of these.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Dundee City
    Was Band G
    Now Band F
    Refunded £5035.16
    Monthly payment reduced by £28.25

23 years refunded!

When Mum passed away in April 2014, I inherited half and then bought my sister's half of the family home and moved in during Nov 2014 with the prospect of a long renovation project.
    In June this year, I was going through papers from Dad's estate and discovered that the house had been valued right in the middle of the Band F range in late 1990 for his estate. I did a bit of research on similar houses in the area and discovered that my neighbour and I were the only 2 Band G in the area. Interestingly, both she and Mum were recently divorced and widowed respectively and did not challenge the band at the outset.

Using your template as a guide, I contacted the Council by email and asked them to review the band. I pushed my luck and asked them to go back to the time of my Mum's ownership.

The Council surveyor came out to the house and I was able to prove that there had been no significant work done to the house until after April 1991 when the bands were set.

A couple of weeks later I was advised that my appeal had been successful and I was refunded £372.86 straight to my bank in a matter of days. The overpayment of £28.25 per month that had been made for 5 of the 10 payment months has been offset against the rest of the years's payments.
    I sent a further email thanking them for the payments relating to the time of my ownership and asking what consideration had been given to the period between April 1993 and Mum's passing in April 2014. The would have been a vacant possession full discount between then and the transfer to my name.

I have just received a letter from my solicitor advising that Mum's estate has been repaid £4521.05 and that my sister and I will each receive our half share tomorrow. Bear in mind that both Mum and I were entitled to 25% single occupancy discount so these figures are 75% of the full Council Tax value.

Sorry, long post, but I'm over the moon!! I am now helping my neighbour with her appeal.

Thank you Money Saving Expert!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure