LISA and buying property abroad

I am wondering what my best options are for saving to buy. I am thinking of opening a LISA to save up but I am worried about the risks as I do not know where I will be living in the future. Ideally, I would stay in the UK and buy here in Bristol in the next 5-6 years. However, as much as I love Bristol and living here, I do not know if I will stay given the political climate and attitudes toward us EU migrants. Like so many others, with a heavy heart, I am also considering my options abroad.

So in short, if I do open a LISA and save up there, in the unlikely event I will move out of the UK, will I still be able to use that money to buy property there or am I better off to steer away from LISAs at least until I am more certain of staying in the UK?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,409
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/lifetime-isas-for-isa-managers#withdrawals-for-first-time-residential-purchase:
    charge-free withdrawals can be made from a LISA when funds are to be put towards the purchase price of a first time residential purchase in the UK by the LISA investor
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,335
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You can withdraw money from your ISA if you're:

- buying your first home in the UK
    - aged 60 or over
    - terminally ill, with less than 12 months to live

You'll pay a 25% charge if you withdraw cash or assets for any other reason.
  • Hannimal
    Hannimal Posts: 958
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thank you - clearly a stupid question!
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,803
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    jaybeetoo wrote: »
    You can withdraw money from your ISA if you're:

- buying your first home in the UK
    - aged 60 or over
    - terminally ill, with less than 12 months to live

You'll pay a 25% charge if you withdraw cash or assets for any other reason.

I would clarify that those restrictions apply to LISA accounts only, if you had one of the different types of ISA such as a Cash ISA or Stocks & Shares ISA you are able to withdraw from those without restriction.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport