Stockpiling Nappies. A Question.

Options
So we're having a baby in April.

A friend of ours said a good way to save money is start buying things now.
We have thousands of wipes (got on a good deal from Amazon).

However it's come to thinking about nappies.

A family member swears by Asda's Little Angels nappies but I guess not everyone does!

We're a bit afraid of stockpiling a brand and then finding out they're not that great for us. But it's our first baby so we sort of won't know any different.

We're not looking to use washable ones.

Any tips?

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How is it a good way to save money, keep the money in your account and buy them when you need them. I don't understand your friend's logic.

You could end up buying 100s of nappies you don't need, don't suit your baby, buy a few packs at a time when your baby is here, you will find out which nappies suit your baby best and when they need to move up a size.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Gilead
    Gilead Posts: 90 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wipes - you will always have a need for them, so it is good that you have a good supply.

Nappies - you can gather up some free samples as well, for our now 14 month year old we have used a mixture of pampers, Asda’s little angels, Tesco’s and Lidl’s. We have not seen much difference between them all. We’ve mainly used Asda as granny shops there and insists on buying them for us.

However, remember there are different sizes for nappies, and you never know when you will move up a size.

Good luck.
  • GingerSaurus
    Options
    I wouldn’t buy too many, as long as you have enough for a week or two it’s easy enough to pick them up once the baby’s here. I speak from experience as I bought over 300 newborn ones in a variety of brands. Our little girl was small and needed size 0 nappies instead, she didn’t grow into the ones we’d bought in advance for 6 weeks!

I’ve found Aldi to be the best, Asda and Tesco are also good. I wasn’t impressed with the more expensive brands, they seemed to leak more!
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I get where your friend is coming from but you are better to put money in a piggy bank after each shop rather than actually buy the nappies. For the reasons mentioned above but also this allows you to buy on sale. Aldi always did a baby event and I believe Asda do as well which may discount nappies. Likewise pampers always seemed to put a deal on each month
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    many babies can also go through a size really quickly, mine all seemed to jump from size 1 to size 3 and were only in size 2 for around a week. Its easier to buy as you go along.
    Better still have you though of investing in some cloth/reusable nappies. This will certainly save you some serious money. by the time I had my second eldest, I had discovered cloth nappies (I have 8 kids).
    they are utterly poop proof, absorb well, wash well and have saved me £1000's as I have been able to use them across several babies.
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Bulk buying only works if you are buying stuff cheap and will use all of it.

Most stuff is on offer in cycles learn those to avoid overstocking.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks all.
    I wouldn't be stocking hundreds in the same size. Although perhaps my post made it seem like that. Will probably pick up a few Aldi and Asda brands and leave it line that.

Cheers
  • Colliewobble12
    Options
    Babies are all different and what suits one won't suit another. My son had (still has) a very skinny bum and we got given loads of Pampers by friends and family but I found they were too baggy and leaked. The Huggies that came in the Bounty pack fitted him much better but I also found the ones from Aldi and Lidl just as good at about half the price.

I wouldn't bother stocking up until you find what suits your baby. Nappies take up loads of room plus you'll no doubt be given packs as gifts plus the bounty pack (and baby box if you're in Scotland). No point having several hundred nappies that leak and you end up spending a fortune washing clothes and bedding.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How is it a good way to save money, keep the money in your account and buy them when you need them. I don't understand your friend's logic.

Because when buying in advance, you have more time to shop around and can wait until things are on offer. As long as you are *guaranteed* to use the items you purchase.
  • cheeky-peach
    Options
    We are expecting in December and have a few packs ready but we've been saving money each month for such things. Much easier re: sizing and you don't need bundles of space to keep them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure