Cheapest phone line rental and anytime calls

Froglet
Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Everywhere I look ,all companies seem to be set up for broadband and mobiles.My elderly Mum has neither.She was paying high BT charges,so I changed her over to the Post Office 5 years ago.Now they seem to go up every quarter,and her last bill was £91 for 3 months.Just wondered if anyone knows of a company that is more reasonable.I can set it up on my computer for her but I am finding it harder and harder to find a simple line rental with anytime calls.
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Froglet
    Yes I did look at that,the only choices there were,were actually dearer.I suppose I hadn't realised just how much a basic phone line and anytime calls,cost.Most companies are now geared to include broadband,and sometimes,a tv package.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If your mother is eligible, this wipes the floor with the rest of the market:
    https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/index.htm
  • Froglet
    Thank you so much Neil.The home phone basic probably won't be suitable,but they also have Home Phone Saver,which is perfect,and will cost just £22 per month,all inclusive.
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6051671

In this similar thread the consensus was nowtv which is currently doing anytime calls to mobile and landlines for £18 a month for 12 months. This includes adsl broadband even if you don't need it....

People were getting an additional £70 or so off by going through topcashback and quidco.

Bt can be a little awkward in that they don't seem to have mobile phones included in their anytime call bundle.
  • Froglet
    I'll talk over the options with my Mum and see what she wants to do.Thanks for your help,Neil and mnbvcxz.
  • Froglet
    Well,I thought I would let you know what has happened.Mum would save £5.50 a month,so worth doing,and I phoned today to set it up.All was going well,until she said there would be a connection charge.Nowhere in the details about the home saver does it mention there will be a charge.£70 !!Which amounts to a mere saving over the 18 months that the price is guaranteed to £29.

Yes it would be more of a saving IF her current,Post Office account,goes up,but honestly,I do think it is steep,and very sneaky.I rang last week and wasn't informed of the charge.My Mum has now decided not to bother,at nearly 90 she doesn't take to changing things and leaves it up to me generally,as I have the means to do so through the internet.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is your mum not eligible for BT Basic?
  • Froglet
    Having looked more closely at it,she may do,she is on pension credit.Wonder if they charge £70 for that as well !Thanks for all the help,Neil.
  • Froglet
    OK.Having gone through all the info I don't think she would be happy worrying about the cost every time she makes a call.Trying to explain the ins and outs would I think put her off.Yes it's cheaper,but she has family all over and loves to phone and have a good natter,it's a bit of a lifeline for her.She does leave me to sort a lot of her finances out for her but still has a bit of a stubborn streak and doesn't want to feel I am taking away all her independence! Anyway I think she has got the hump with BT now!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure