Mortgage Missold?

Comments

• Bala99
    Bala99 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It’s not clear what loss you believe that you have suffered, what exactly is it that you believe that you should be compensated for?

That is what my question was. I was asking what I would be compensated for and how if any you went about it.

I am agreeing it does seem strange but it was only reading on the FOS site that you were missold your mortgage if it went into retirement age that set me off researching this more.

I know I didn’t have any paperwork apart from what my new payment would be.

I thought these mortgage claims companies were checking if you had been on the correct interest rates or the monthly payments were worked out correctly etc. I only started reading up on things because of this credit that is showing on my credit file etc that the mortgage company dismisses whenever I have asked about it.

I also had a mortgage years ago which I know they overcharged me and quite the mortgage company frankly didn’t know what they were doing.
    I knew someone who worked in the mortgage department who said it was chaos and I thought if someone could go over the statements it would be good.
    But it is too early for them to look at
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am agreeing it does seem strange but it was only reading on the FOS site that you were missold your mortgage if it went into retirement age that set me off researching this more.

Where does it say that? The FOS generally use less specific words. such as "you may have been missold it...". Rarely would it say you have been missold if.....

Mortgages into retirement are allowed. It is a potential missale if the risk warnings were not present and it was an advised case (but not a non-advised case) and there was no reason for it. However, for most of these there is a reason documented (such as lower affordbility now and intention to pay the small amount outstanding from pension lump sum).
    I know I didn’t have any paperwork apart from what my new payment would be.

Which suggests it is a non-advised sale.
    I thought these mortgage claims companies were checking if you had been on the correct interest rates or the monthly payments were worked out correctly etc. I only started reading up on things because of this credit that is showing on my credit file etc that the mortgage company dismisses whenever I have asked about it.

Mortgage claims by CMCs have been hit by fraud and unscrupulous companies obtaining funds by other means. Such as litigation funding. They need as many people to sign up as possible to then get crowdfunding investors interested. The investors end up losing most of their money when the complaints fail but the company has creamed off the money after stringing them along for a number of years. Or they tell people that they have been missold but then come back to them saying their solicitor needs paying for and then an insurance policy needs to be bought to protect the solicitor for losses. This is where they make most of their money.

The actual uphold rate on mortgages is only around 1 in 10.

We still need to when (approx) you first bought the interest only mortgage. Not a remortgate or a new deal. The date you actually first borrowed the money on interest only basis. it makes a big difference. We know you bought a deal after 2004 but its the original deal that matters.
  • Bala99
    I took out the repayment mortgage in 2000 and then it got changed to interest only probably around 2007.

I have found the paperwork relating to when we got the mortgage and it was definitely repayment.
    We still need to when (approx) you first bought the interest only mortgage. Not a remortgate or a new deal. The date you actually first borrowed the money on interest only basis

I didn’t “buy” an interest only mortgage we were swapped onto it after our original fixed rate ended in around 2008/2009

I probably still have the paperwork but it is in a different box I haven’t come across yet
  • SonOf
    Thanks for the date updates. It does change things.
    I suggest you go find the paperwork as a move to interest-only around 2007 from a repayment mortgage is highly unusual and would normally only occur if you were having affordability problems. If that is not the case, then you have good grounds to question it.
  • Bala99
    I do have all the paperwork around. Because it is my existing mortgage I haven’t got rid of anything and I do know that it was done over the phone with one phone call.

I was just looking for a better deal after our initial one had run out.

I didn’t really question it.

I don’t have a pension. I have dipped in and out of self employment. (Children and disability).

My partner did have a good pension but was diagnosed with terminal cancer so cashed it in to travel before he became too ill.
    A lot of it went on an operation that would buy him more time that we couldn’t get through the NHS so what might have been in place to pay a mortgage after retirement isn’t there anymore
    Plus without selling the house we have no way of paying the mortgage back
  • SonOf
    My partner did have a good pension but was diagnosed with terminal cancer so cashed it in to travel before he became too ill.
    A lot of it went on an operation that would buy him more time that we couldn’t get through the NHS so what might have been in place to pay a mortgage after retirement isn’t there anymore
    Plus without selling the house we have no way of paying the mortgage back

Did the switch to interest-only coincide with that period? I wonder if it was a case to make it more affordable on a monthly basis and allow the life assurance to pay it off upon death?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    In January 2018;
    Bala99 wrote: »
    Household income of 6 figures. I am on after tax around £40k per year.....

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73731837&postcount=13
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I well remember Jackanory.
  • SonOf wrote: »
    Thanks for the date updates. It does change things.
    I suggest you go find the paperwork as a move to interest-only around 2007 from a repayment mortgage is highly unusual and would normally only occur if you were having affordability problems. If that is not the case, then you have good grounds to question it.

Really? I thought lenders were still quite happily dishing out I/O mortgages in 2007 which is why it all went tits up the following year.
  • OP, was it a self cert mortgage you got in 2007?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure