Tesco to pull the plug its first Jack's store

Tesco's masterplan to take on Aldi and Lidl seems to have been the damp squib many predicted. The Telegraph reports that its Rawtenstall branch is already to be axed, though it still plans to open a further three Jack's this year.

The phrase 'throwing good money after bad' springs to mind...

Comments

• Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Tesco only have to spend the money they are using for the Jacks project into lowering their own prices, to be more competitive and they would get more revenue.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It looks like they are fine-tuning the system before deciding whether to close the enterprise for good. It is possible that the model will thrive in very specific geographical spots - but personally I would expect that Aldi and Lidl would expand into those same areas and eventually scoop up all the business.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • wkdboi
    wkdboi Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aldi and Lidl are still cheaper than Jacks so Tesco won't win until they CAN price match if thats their ball game, Jacks will fail again and again until they release that their expensive.
  • Jacks will fail just like the reincarnation of Netto with Sainsburys did. Nothing will beat Aldi and Lidi.
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I live near a Jacks store and on the handful of times I have been in there are never more than 10 shoppers to be seen. The till are never manned because there are not enough customers the self serve ones are the only ones operating. loads of items have short dates on them probably because of the lack of customers. I was told by someone who worked there briefly before being made redundant that 5 more employees had been made redundant last week. The other few shops on the precinct are also complaining about the loss of footfall to the area affecting their takings. It used to be a bit of a problem parking on the car park but there are always load of spaces now. I don't think this Jacks will last too much longer either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure