Debt after divorce

Hi

I have been paying off joint debt through a repayment arrangement for the last 9 years since my husband and I separated. It's arranged via our local authority debt service and is not a trust deed, and he pays me half the amount. I am now in a position to clear my half, he could borrow against his new mortgage but won't and I want to improve my credit score as I have twins potentially going to uni in 2 years.

I am not in a position to clear it all, has anyone been in this situation before and been able to split the debt which would be about 5k each. We both have similar income but I don't want to be left with paying it all!

Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• BAFE
    BAFE Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Two of you have been paying off a debt for 9 years and there is still £10k remaining? Is that right?

How much was the original debt and how much have you been paying per month?

Also, why does your twins going to university mean that you need to improve your credit score?
  • Had you asked for any Alimony when you had filed for divorce? That amount would have helped you to clear off your debts.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    tanny05 wrote: »
    Had you asked for any Alimony when you had filed for divorce? That amount would have helped you to clear off your debts.

It's an almost 2 month old thread.
    "Alimony"?
    That's a US term.
    We call it "spousal maintenance" here in the UK.
    And it's pretty rare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport