british gas top up cards

wilkotenfour
wilkotenfour Posts: 2 Newbie
Britsh gas closing the facility to top up their gas card on the 31st december at my local pay point outlet just been advised by the assistant in the store.
Are all gas suppliers doing same ? very handy facility if your budgeting, its going to affect a lot of people, is it just local to people my area of north yorkshire?
.comments please thank you

Comments

• Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • movingforward
    many thanks your suggestions, one has got to think outside the box these days ! solved the problem.regards
    wilkotenfour
  • Epizone
    Epizone Posts: 13 Forumite
    Top up online?

I was led to understand you would need to have a smart meter to be able to use the online top-up facility?
    Was I misled?

However, BG will install smart meters for free :money:
  • Epizone
    Britsh gas closing the facility to top up their gas card on the 31st december at my local pay point outlet just been advised by the assistant in the store.
    Are all gas suppliers doing same ? very handy facility if your budgeting, its going to affect a lot of people, is it just local to people my area of north yorkshire?
    .comments please thank you

BG are simply changing their top up facility partner from Paypoint to Payzone.

The difficulty that may arise is that whilst Paypoint have 28,000 outlets, Payzone only has about 13,000 outlets.
    e.g. for us that would mean a difference between a 5 minute walk to a local Paypoint outlet to a 5 mile round trip to the nearest Payzone outlet.
    But with a bit of planning ahead & budgeting, access to a payzone could be made when visiting our local town centre, etc

This does not affect any other supplier at this time. All suppliers make their own arrangements, and presumably like BG, review those arrangements on a regulkar basis
  • chippy2u
    chippy2u Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    No Payzone outlets at all in Torquay! So instead of a 3 min walk to my local shop I now have to take a bus to the nearest Post Office. So time to change supplier. If BG don't want my custom there are plenty of suppliers out there who do! Bye bye BG!!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think you can top up at Post Offices.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Epizone
    chippy2u wrote: »
    No Payzone outlets at all in Torquay! So instead of a 3 min walk to my local shop I now have to take a bus to the nearest Post Office. So time to change supplier. If BG don't want my custom there are plenty of suppliers out there who do! Bye bye BG!!

Paypoint locations in and around Torquay - where you can no longer top up your BG account

mse-pp-torquay.jpg

Local post offices in and around Torquay where you can top up your BG account

mse-po-torquay.jpg
  • advanta
    advanta Posts: 1,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OK so I would REALLY appreciate any help here.

Yesterday an engineer came round to give us a new meter. NOT a smart meter. We lost the £30 on our old meter.

We are supposed to get a new card from a payzone outlet. We have tried a number of cards in the new meter and they appear to be accepted. However, when we take them to a post office or other payzone outlet (and we've tried a dozen) they say it is "unsupported".

Looks like we will have no gas tomorrow. Any advice appreciated.
  • chippy2u
    chippy2u Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Epizone: The POs look quite close on a map but Torquay covers a large area and some of those POs are miles apart and are not on a bus route. I live right in the middle of the triangle between 2,6 &8!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I thought this board was for LPG gas? Can you get LPG on top -up cards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business