** WARNING** Domestic Assist - Anyone dealt with them?

Options
Hi,
we currently have an extended warranty policy with Domestic and General (I know what you are going to say but the wife insists on having someone to call if her appliances go wrong) but the wife just had a call from a company called Domestic Assist whose opening line was "we are going to switch your policy to a cheaper rate" and proceeded to ask us details of all our white goods. Everything about the call gave us the impression that we were talking to a company we currently do business with but they had zero information about us. Even when we asked a direct question like are you Domestic and General we got their opening line again and got no direct answer. After telling the wife 3 times to hang up the caller gave up and hung up.
Its been a while since i had a call from a company trying to steal business by giving the impression that they are your existing supplier.

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 November 2018 at 9:32PM
    Options
    Well of course they could be any fraudster.
    It's unlikely they are a company actually called domestic assist.
    Golden rule, if they ring you, they are chancers.
    Did she give any information if so expect more calls.
    Perhaps you could show your wife what Martin says about this type of " insurance".
    What equipment does she have,that it's so critical..
    Unless you have 5 children or you work away I dont think its to your benefit.
  • e12
    e12 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Do not use Domestic Assist. They are a bunch of chancers, they cold called my dad (who is in his 80's) who thought that the company calling were domestic and general who he already has a policy with and convinced him to take out a service plan for his washing machine. After paying £199 for a three year contract the paperwork arrived and it is not a service plan just a contract so you can ring them and they can call an engineer out for you which you have to pay for so you are basically paying for nothing!!! He asked for a refund and they took off a £25 admin fee! A few weeks later his credit card got used fraudulently and the only time he used it was to pay for this 'service plan'. Do not touch this company with a barge pole!!!
  • civicwalker
    civicwalker Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I received a cold call from who I thought to be Zanussi however it turns out that calls are actually made by a company which sells mortgages. On receipt of the documentation I contacted Domestic Home Assist who immediately agreed to refund the £180 for whole 3 year cover. In fairness they were very apologetic.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I received a cold call from who I thought to be Zanussi however it turns out that calls are actually made by a company which sells mortgages. On receipt of the documentation I contacted Domestic Home Assist who immediately agreed to refund the £180 for whole 3 year cover. In fairness they were very apologetic.

I’m confused where mortgages comes into it.
    Also,this thread is about domestic assist, not domestic home assist
  • This company should be avoided at all costs and hopefully are now being investigated by Trading Standards. The company 'targeted' my 85 year old father and sold him a three year 'insurance plan' for his washing machine for £199.00. He believed (from the information they gave him) that he was talking to his existing insurance provider. He received no policy paperwork and had to make multiple phone calls to obtain the 'so called' policy (they make sure this is outside of the 14 day cooling off period for obvious reasons). The policy is worthless.
  • anya3
    Options
    Yes they told me on the phone back in 2018 saying they were cheaper than D&G, turned out they were more expensive. I rang them saying they were more expensive, which they denied I had frequent calls from them after it was awful. Today 24th October 2019 :they took £30 out of my bank, which my bank hs refunded. If you get a call from them do no open an account with them. :mad:
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    anya3 wrote: »
    Yes they told me on the phone back in 2018 saying they were cheaper than D&G, turned out they were more expensive. I rang them saying they were more expensive, which they denied I had frequent calls from them after it was awful. Today 24th October 2019 :they took £30 out of my bank, which my bank hs refunded. If you get a call from them do no open an account with them. :mad:

Accounts overdue 18 Sept
    T and C
    There will be occasions where you are liable to pay a contribution fee which will need to be paid upfront in order for us to be able to progress your repair request. Failure to pay will result in an invalid request. Please note that contribution fees are non-refundable
    What could possibly go wrong?

Here is another one
    home-assist.co.uk
    No certificate for SSL
    Phone number listed as 12345678
    company 11325953 - Dissolved on 1 October 2019
    What could possibly go wrong?
  • cautiouskitten
    Options
    Dreadful company!! DO NOT USE!!

A man called Ben said he was the accounts manager (which I guess he is as he owns the company I believe). They persistently cold called my Mum who is 80 who then believed them and was excited to hear they could insure all her white goods cheaper, so we both insured our white goods - hers was nearly £400 and mine was £200. All great until you try to claim.

They told us we could insure anything even though some were 20 years old!!

Had a nightmare claiming and then was told by a man on the phone that it was written on our notes that we were difficult customers and that we had rung and cancelled our policies months back and no longer had a policy with them, so would no longer come out. I did a subject access request by email and received nothing back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure