How are HomeServe still in business

Comments

• sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    I got told I was being upgraded to complete water from plumbing paying £12.75 a month for this and £6 for electric - rang up for problem in bathroom told its not covered - they didnt upgrade cant talk to plumbing people until this morning or customer service as they are 9-5 no one to come out they can talk about price to send out plumber but since there last plumber didnt replace this cheap two pound part on the pipe in the kitchen a couple of years ago and just tightned it till it damaged the pipe and said I would have to get another plumber out
    No help at all can anyone recommend anyone else
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • watch out for all information regarding homeserve over 100 members of staff where suspended last weekend due to mis-selling they will not be selling anymore policies until they have completed an internal and had an external investigation
  • spender
    spender Posts: 1,157
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have been trawling the threads due to problems with our boiler which I think is directly down to Direct Line Home emergency service (who sent out Homeserve!). I will never take boiler insurance out again I have got a local plumber out who told me that I did not need a power flush (as recommended) and that in fact the to engineers that had attended during the week to fix the problem just had not fully turned off the valve letting in water!
    No Matter what you do there will be critics.
  • barnsleylass83
    barnsleylass83 Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 26 December 2011 at 2:52PM
    I am absolutly appalled with this company. My parents fuse box blew up on Christmas Eve morning. They activated their EMERGENCY COVER and 72 hours later they are still waiting. They have been without electricity for sometime including christmas day. Despite numerous phone calls we still have nothing but false promises. My parents are without heating and have lost all food they had bought in due to the freezer and fridge not working. My dad has complained so many times and they have showed no effort to repair the fault. One engineer sugguested that he could talk my dad through the process over the phone. How can they be allowed to get away with this service. My parents have been given nothing but false promises.
    Credit card- £36/305
    2 pound coin-£8.00
    Loan- £5000/13000
    Determined:j
  • Homeserve at its best. Yet another disgruntled (now ex) customer. A chimney pot falling off a roof is not covered by the insurance policy but a loose tile is. Not what the policy says. :mad:
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    A chimney pot isn't an emergency it's maintenance and a missing pot won't cause any damage. A missing tile will let water into the house and cause damage, so you don't really have any cause for complaint. You wouldn't complain that your car insurance doesn't tyres due to a puncture
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am absolutly appalled with this company. My parents fuse box blew up on Christmas Eve morning. They activated their EMERGENCY COVER and 72 hours later they are still waiting. They have been without electricity for sometime including christmas day. Despite numerous phone calls we still have nothing but false promises. My parents are without heating and have lost all food they had bought in due to the freezer and fridge not working. My dad has complained so many times and they have showed no effort to repair the fault. One engineer sugguested that he could talk my dad through the process over the phone. How can they be allowed to get away with this service. My parents have been given nothing but false promises.

Do you mean 'blown up' (!) or just tripped out? In that case the only thing that appears to have been required was to reset the MCB or RCD, which is a 10 second operation.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It could have been an older one that needed fuse wire installed, still a trivial DIY task but even wiring a plug seems too complex for most these days....
    (I blame the education system)

What the OP ought to be doing is ditching homeserve and using the cash saved to build up some emergency savings, then they could have just called an electrician out on xmas eve, had the problem fixed there and then and still find things working out cheaper for them after paying his one off call out bill...
  • reck_uk wrote: »
    Got my usual bi-monthly begging letter from homeserver today asking me to take out their insurance cover for burst water pipes. Normally it goes straight in the bin but this time i'd thought i'd check what other people thought of them online as i'd heard they had a bad reputation from work colleagues, friends etc.

So I went to google and did a search and was amazed at the overwhelming bad response I got. It seems at peoples hour of need homeserve hardly ever pay out, normally citing some clause in the terms and conditions. I search on this forum and some others as well and again I was getting the same message, WHATEVER YOU DO STAY AWAY FROM HOMESERVE.

It just makes me wonder now that they have such a bad reputation how can they still be in business? I suppose they must have hundreds of customers paying their premiums each month not knowing that the when the day comes that they need their help the chances are they are going to be disappointed.

Needless to say the begging letter went in the bin like all the rest.

Have been paying HomeServe for 3 years to service and maintain my heating system. Despite two annual inspections of the boiler with no issues reported, they have now decided the installation was "faulty" based on a 5 minute inspection from an engineer who did not document this but subsequently refused to do anything about the current problem. Clearly 4 years down the line it is now too late to go back to the company who installed the boiler as they think any installation issues should have been picked up in the annual service.

The total irony is that the boiler is working fine, it is the heating controller which has failed! Details of call centre contacts too long and painful to repeat here, but still no engineer appointment even made 5 days after making the initial call. Completely without heating, very cold and very grumpy...

DO NOT USE HOMESERVE!
  • sexysam
    sexysam Posts: 58 Forumite
    I have been with this company now for over 2 months.My boiler broke down and engineers from Vokera have been out out 5 times in one month but can not repair it. Homeserve have been brilliant. They provided with emergency heating and have always been very helpful whenever I have rung them. Some of teh negative comments about this company has surprised me, because I think they have been brilliant so far. I blame Vokera and their incompetent engineers for not resolving my problem. Thank You Homeserve for everything you have done for me so far
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback