The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• Whoop whoop .... made it :j

Answers
    LBM was back in 2012. I had been promoted at work and was told I was been flown out to Argentina in two days! I was struggling to work out how to pay for my expenses before I could claim them back! My credit cards were all full and, although I had a works Amex it did not work everywhere!
    My debts were around gbp19k
    I then contacted PayPlan who were recommended by a counselling line available through work. They set me up paying gbp100 per month to start. Debt free date was somewhere around 2025 (minimum). I kept this up and just increased around gbp20 a month. Then, due to a change in circumstance (remarried so two household incomes) I have been able to blast the debt this final year at gbp450 per month:D

My pearl of wisdom is to allow yourself enough money to live. I will not lie when I say I exaggerated my expenses. I thought initially that I would be paying this back into retirement and there was no way I was going to have my time with my children spoilt. I massaged the figures shamelessly and justified doing so by knowing I could have gone for an IVA or full and final settlements rather than choosing to pay my debts in full. Remember a DMP is an informal agreement so you do have some leeway. I think my creditors accepted by plan simply because I always managed to increase it annually.

The entire site has been my saviour and Martin Lewis my god.

I do have a credit card now but the balance never exceeds my savings. I use it for the protection it provides rather than it making me it’s prisoner.

Good luck everyone xxxxxxxx

ST xx
    LBM August 2011. DFD somewhere post [STRIKE]2025[/STRIKE]2022 :eek:
    Total debts October 2011 circa GBP 17,700 September 2018 GBP 0 DMP with Payplan
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger:T:D:D:D
  • Finally free!

a. The date of your lightbulb moment
    Sometime in March 2013, when I realised I could not afford food and none of my "shift it around" tricks would work to stop the calls/letters anymore.

b. Debts at their highest
    About £11k

c. Debt-Free Date
    08/09/2018

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    Stick to your budget no matter what is going on around you. Learn to say no to your mate's spontaneous invites to things like the pub where the budget gets blown.

e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    None really, I just checked back often and read about other's journeys.

f. Which forum threads helped you
    See above.

g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it
    I didn't.
  • I have paid my last credit card debt off today
    It does feel good!
  • Cannot remember my exact LBM some years ago, decided about 2 years ago to start paying extra on my cc and a loan I had.....all clear by july 2017!!
  • I just want to say well done to everyone on here trying!

Many of you are proving that it is possible with enough motivation to beat your debts and gain even more control over your finances!
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    My wife and I took out a mortgage in 1996 and I insisted with the bank to have the longest interest-only mortgage we could get. We couldn't make changes to the policy until after the first 5 years, on that day we went in and after saving very hard for 5 years managed to pay half of the mortgage amount so took out a repayment mortgage (longest term again to pay less interest per month) and ploughed everything we could into it. Bottom line is we paid off the mortgage in full on the house in 8.5 years from start. No luxuries, everything we earnt went into paying off the mortgage as it was cheapest overall to do that.

We later sold our house and bought a flat which was far cheaper, meaning we could retire early.

I also have gained over £80 on Checkoutsmart and have about half that on Topcashback.

So kind moderators, could I please have the following badges please? Thanks very much!
    c3d98730f0.jpeg
  • a.The date of your lightbulb moment
    Sometime around June 2011. We found out my wife was pregnant with an unplanned 3rd child. This threw me in to a blind panic as the previous 2 periods of maternity leave had stretched our creditworthiness (and available credit) to the absolute limit. By now we were only just treading water and the prospect of losing half of our income for 9 months meant losing our home would be a real possibility
    b. Debts at their highest
    £47,352.19
    c. Debt-Free Date
    16th November 2018
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    Face up to it. Don't hide from your debt. As soon as you face up to it you are on the road to being debt free. It may feel like this day will never come but it will
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    Stupidly I didn't really use this board until I was close to the end.
    f. Which forum threads helped you
    'Debt-Free Wanabee'
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it
    August 2011 - Total Debts - £47,352.12
    November 2018 - Total Debts - £0:beer:
  • I was supposed to debt free on 1st Dec but my eagerness took over and decided to make my final payments to Idem and PRA early so I could feel that amazing feeling of FINALLY being debt free
    August 2011 - Total Debts - £47,352.12
    November 2018 - Total Debts - £0:beer:
  • I was £28k in cc debt when I had my lbm in 2010. I became debt free in about 4 years, with everything paid off. I can't find my posts in here because I didn't log in for a while and forgot my id. I did have a bit of a wobble after buying a car using an interest free cash transfer but glad to say I do have it under control. I do have cc debt on 0% and fortunately enough savings to cover it. Hope every one hangs in and doesn't panic, it's a horrible place to be but you can get out of it. I'm hoping I can pop in and offer some advice, just because I've been there, done it, had the stress the worry and eventually dug my way out, debt is a darkness but it does lighten.
    ....been here a while but forgot my id as I hadn't logged in for a while after I got debt free...
  • My lightbulb moment was in 2010. I had approx 10k of debt in my name and nothing to show for it. My ex convinced me to take out credit cards and loans and give him the miney...silly silly girl I was back then.

It's been a long road but I became debt free in the first quarter of this year. I kept so much of this debt secret from my family.

Things have changed so much, I'm in the process of buying my first home (this once seemed impossible) I have money at the end of each month and I now responsibly use credit. (Barely use it at all but if I do it's sensibly)

It's so nice not to fear the post anymore!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback