Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ... I didn't know about Trustpilot as a source of info so I'll check them out in future. ...

Once you've checked them out, hopefully you will see why TrustPilot cannot be trusted.

Sadly, the posts in the feedback threads here also needed to be considered carefully.
    Beware on 'one post reviewers', and check carefully the posts of other, more seasoned MSE'ers who obviously from their post history maybe considered to be 'on a mission'
  • I'd just like to say that I am changing from EDF Energy today to Octopus as EDF increased my monthly direct debit to a very VERY hefty sum after my tariff ended so I felt it was time for a change. I am using MSE to change to Octopus, the first time I am using a smaller supplier having only used one of the big 6 for decades. I have read some positive views about Octopus but am very apprehensive still. However, you have to make that change to save the pennies! I will keep you posted on whether the change over is seamless. So here goes. All the best.
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Toxteth_OGrady Posts: 3,958
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2017 at 4:17PM
    I am posting a timeline, purely for interest, of my latest switch from British Gas to Octopus using the MSE Cheap Energy Club referral.

Day 1 - MSE CEC switch acknowledgement email.

Day 2 - Octopus welcome email advising switch date in 17 days, asking for opening meter reads in 12 days and confirmation of monthly Direct Debit date/amount.

Day 3 - BG, 'sorry to hear you're leaving us' email.

Day 9 - Email update from Octopus to say they had been contacted by BG about the switch.

Day 14 - Reminder from Octopus that my 1st Direct Debit payment was due in a week.

Day 14 - Request from Octopus for opening meter reads.

Day 18 - Supply of gas and electricity changed over to Octopus.

Day 25 - Final gas bill from BG.

Day 28 - Confirmation from Octopus that opening meter reads had been agreed by BG.

Day 34 - Final electricity bill from BG.

Day 36 - Outstanding credit from BG paid into my bank account.

Day 64 - MSE Cheap Energy Club notification of completed switch.

Day 68 - MSE email advising cashback had been paid.

Day 71 - MSE cashback paid into my bank account.

All in all it went very smoothly and the communication from all parties at each stage was spot on. :)

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • earlsgate
    earlsgate Posts: 38
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 December 2017 at 9:26PM
    I'm on day 30 of a switch away from Octopus and still waiting for them to pay they significant balance I allowed to build up on my account.

I was told " once we have received your final meter readings, we will send you a final bill and refund you the credit on the account."

did not help when they ignored the meter reads that were passed on by my new supplier on the 20th November, which they eventually realised they had been given, despite earlier denials

since then its been a case of waiting for their billing system to run its course before I will be hopefully get paid
    never had so much hassle with previous switches so blame email only contact point as that shortcoming at Octopus
    edit they do actually have a phone number 0800 612 0884 so perhaps use that instead of emails
  • jblackmore
    jblackmore Posts: 103
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 20 December 2017 at 8:45AM
    Generally I was really happy with Octopus customer service, they always responded promptly to emails and were friendly and helpful. Website is very basic, and silly things like correcting number of digits on meter took a while, but most other suppliers I've dealt with have been worse.

I switched away from Octopus on 17th November as £80pa more than Avro, I provided closing readings through Octopus website, and to new supplier but heard nothing until I chased Octopus for refund after a month. I got an email saying "This bill is based on estimated meter readings as we didn't receive a closing read from you or your new supplier. ", which seems to be a standard wording, as the bill stated "closing read" for elec, and gas "Closing customer read".

The elec reading was correct, but somehow 3 units were added to the gas reading I gave, which Octopus say I have to take up with new supplier? but I'm not going to fall out over 9p.

Refund takes 10 days which is a bit annoying, but I suspect all suppliers do this.

Sadly I think the nature of the energy market is new small companies can come in with competitive pricings, but they then grow and costs rise and they then price themselves above the next wave of new small suppliers, so the cycle just keeps going. Given the big 6 have such a stranglehold on the complacent non-switchers who are hugely profitable, I can't see this changing anytime soon.

Best of luck to Octopus, I laughed that they are now diversifying into energy comparison site - so they can smell the coffee ;)
  • chasnbex wrote: »
    We've got an economy 7 meter which we don't use as such, and have been on a single-rate tariff with another company for a while now.

We tried to swap to Octopus but they said they were unable to put us on a single-rate tariff with an economy 7 meter installed. Deal-breaker for us unfortunately.

Just a heads up to anyone with an Economy 7 meter: if you switch to single-rate make sure that your supplier amends the details at the national database as you'll otherwise find it difficult, if not impossible, to switch to another supplier. I learned this the hard way.
  • Curos
    Curos Posts: 28
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Looking to switch to Octopus very soon - is there any form of referral code or system that anyone could share to save/make us both a little bonus?
  • Curos wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking to switch to Octopus very soon - is there any form of referral code or system that anyone could share to save/make us both a little bonus?

There is. £50 each at the moment (usually £15). I shared my link in a previous post but I am now in the process of leaving Octopus (not because they did anything wrong) so I am sure someone else here will happily share their referral link with you. :):):)
  • Curos
    Curos Posts: 28
    Forumite
    There is. £50 each at the moment (usually £15). I shared my link in a previous post but I am now in the process of leaving Octopus (not because they did anything wrong) so I am sure someone else here will happily share their referral link with you. :):):)

Thanks Michelle, here's hoping! :p
  • Referral links are only to be found in the Referrals Board - have a look there.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback