Charging 2005 Corsa Battery

Options

Comments

• RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    So how do you know the problem with the car is the battery and not something else?.

Yes, it could be something else. What are you thinking? The alternator?

I'll try a new battery first, then go from there.

thanks
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • RealGem
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Let's go back a step, OP.

Go out to the car, and turn the key.

What happens? Don't just say "It won't start" - HOW won't it start?
    Is the starter motor turning or not?
    Is it turning really slowly?
    If it isn't turning, is there a "click" when you turn the key?
    Are the headlights dim and the wipers slow?
    Did you have the charge warning light on last time you used the car?
    Does the charge warning light come on when you turn the ignition on, but don't try to start the engine?

Do you have a voltmeter, a multimeter, or anything like that?

I have ordered a voltmeter from Amazon, thanks.

No nothing works. Two weeks ago it clicked, as in: tried to turn over, but not enough power. The radio came on though.

Now; not a sausage. And the central locking does not work so battery = zero.

thanks
  • JoeyJoe
    JoeyJoe Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    If your battery is dead, you need to replace it. You won't be able to charge a dead car battery that has dropped below 6 or 7 volts.

I've killed plenty of batteries this way.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    RealGem wrote: »
    No nothing works. Two weeks ago it clicked, as in: tried to turn over, but not enough power. The radio came on though.

Is there an improvement with anything, central locking, lights etc with the booster pack connected?
  • RealGem
    Options
    Is there an improvement with anything, central locking, lights etc with the booster pack connected?

No nothing :(
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2017 at 11:14PM
    Options
    RealGem wrote: »
    I have ordered a voltmeter from Amazon, thanks.

thanks

Ok, so yeah the logical choice is to swap the battery, battery is cheaper than an alternator, unfortunately as the battery has been low on charge for some time now, it's going to be screwed anyway.

My GF changed her own car battery with a little instruction from me and a few tools, so a new one shouldn't cost much more than £60 self fitted.
    Make sure you have your radio code.

After that, it would be a good idea to check the voltage with the engine running, if you read 14.4v (ish), then your alternator is absolutely fine, but measure once from cold and then once again when the engine is hot (sometimes they can be affected by heat).

My previous post was nothing against you, I was venting frustration at all the folks going back/forth, not asking the right questions and getting nowhere.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • dld2s
    dld2s Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    gem is this the charger you bought? http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter
    if so is it doing what I said? (button for checking charge is above, not below as I said) if not did you take it back to Halfords in case it is faulty? another thing is, you do need to make sure you get a good connection , otherwise it will not work at all on your car
  • RealGem
    Options
    dld2s wrote: »
    gem is this the charger you bought? http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter
    if so is it doing what I said? (button for checking charge is above, not below as I said) if not did you take it back to Halfords in case it is faulty? another thing is, you do need to make sure you get a good connection , otherwise it will not work at all on your car

Yes, that's the one.

I took the Phaze back today and got a refund and a new battery. But I haven't connected it yet.

Yes it lit up when I pressed it saying it was fully charged but it could not revive my car battery.

The teeth were touching the battery connector and I had the right polarity. Just curious; in what way would it not work on my car?

Do you mean I should have the clamping teeth sideways instead of vertical? (as the battery connector is round, so it's tricky to get lots of metal teeth touching)?

thanks
  • marty2be2000
    marty2be2000 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If your battery is capput, then no amount of charging or adding a booster will start the car. The booster is designed to assist the battery which at this point usually still have power to at least do something. A booster on its own will not have enough CCA output to start a car from a completely dead battery.
  • RealGem
    edited 1 March 2017 at 3:47PM
    Options
    If your battery is capput, then no amount of charging or adding a booster will start the car. The booster is designed to assist the battery which at this point usually still have power to at least do something. A booster on its own will not have enough CCA output to start a car from a completely dead battery.

Thank you. Other people told me this, so I have already bought a new battery, as I said above.

And it works! - Woohoo!

thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure