PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh er, it's gone all horrible outside very windy with sleet & snow. Maybe we're not going to miss it after all:eek:
  • MrAPJI wrote: »
    Morning to all,

Hope you are safe and well. Woke up to find a blanket of snow - a real winter wonderland. Tim's completion date on his new house is this Friday - couldn't be worse with this weather - particularly as he's still here and will have to journey to Devon at some point. I suggested that it might be a good idea to make tracks yesterday whilst the roads were relatively clear - but there was no telling him :)

Oh dear, I hope his journey isn't too problematic and he completes ok :). We have snow as well, but not as much as you xx
  • Apji - Worst case analysis - the M5 goes some way down into Devon and, if all else fails, there will be loads of places available in b & b's/hotels at this time of year. So not an undue problem - whatever happens.....

Meanwhile - I'm looking out the window here at snow falling and a sky that looks like it's got a fair amount up there - and I'm going out soon....:rotfl:and am expecting one or two people round later that will have to drive to get to me:rotfl:

You can take the woman out of the West Country - but you can't take the West Country out of the woman - obviously...ahem...
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 February 2018 at 2:48PM
    It tried to snow here for a while but the stalwart pensioners of the village still turned up in their cars for the weekly Tuesday morning post office - held in my neighbour's back room. The travelling butcher came by as well - as did the postie. Meanwhile some electricity vans/lorries turned up and were parked up for an eternity with their engines running. One of them had some kit on a trailer and it looked as if they meant business. Maybe they were waiting for the snow to stop. But no they were parked up for an hour or so before it even started. Finally though, there was some action. A man got out, walked round his van and got back in again and another van drove down the road and back again. So a good morning's work then. ;)
    I'm stocked up for a siege and tbh I'm feeling a bit cheated by the weather.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 February 2018 at 4:01PM
    First problem this morning, car would not start, just everything beeping. It's a diesel, so I'm assuming too cold for the poor thing. At the moment I CBA to investigate in the cold. I'll wait until it gets milder and try then

Luckily although very cold it was not icy, so walked to volunteering, bought a loaf from Co-op opposite, cadged lift back home post volunteer session. Next session is Friday, when heaps of snow forecast so I may not go then

Lunch was cheese & onion sarnie, using my new loaf. It is tastier than L's, but more expensive, which is often the case with prices. I may just switch to it because I only use a loaf a week. Put that in the procrastination tray for now

Dinner, I just do not know, I have frozen chicken Tikka which I may nuke, nothing really takes my fancy at the moment. Anyone got stew & dumplings going spare?

Heating timer overridden again, snow flurries and very grey snow laden skies
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had porridge for breakfast and a couple of cups of tea.

Lunch was dry fried sea bass with peas and tonight will be either a pork chop with peas and wedges or chicken with green beans or mushrooms. I have added more potato to the leek and potato soup I made the other day and put it back in the soup maker so I can have a few mugs this afternoon to stop snacking on rubbish.

I had hoped to have a pressure cooker by now but the original got lost in the post and the replacement seems to be still on the way so any cooking will be done the old fashioned way. Not sure if pressure cookers are fairly old fashioned as I remember my older cousin having one in the sixties and blowing her eyebrows off.

I have a small delivery due tomorrow of things like turkey rashers and low fat sausages, eggs etc. Now I am cooking just for me most days I think it might be a good idea to repackage meat, fish etc into smaller packs so I am not always eating the same thing.

We had snow overnight and heavier snow earlier but it all seems to be melting now.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I popped out, intending to buy some bread rolls at 4ldi, but when I got there they had just three packs and all dated 1 March. I wanted to buy some with a longer lifespan so I didn't have to freeze any, so I had to give those a miss. Wandered round aimlessly and left with just a roll on deodorant and a pint of milk (brain was saying crustless quiche as I've got eggs in the house and onions and tomatoes and cheese).

Then there was a sudden snowstorm, with visibility about 20 yards/metres; that's now over/gone. I guess that's winter then :)

Lunch today was two hot sausage rolls - out of those now. I'm being fed my tea later tonight as I'm doing somebody a favour, so that'll be nice.

I have a bag of my favourite choccies :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The nuked chicken tikka was surprisingly tasty and nice. Plenty of rice & tender chicken, plus sauce not too spicy so suited me just fine. I'd buy one again, Frozen from 4sda if anyone is interested

The snow never amounted to much, maybe as PN says, that's winter over
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    Anyone got stew & dumplings going spare?
    I've a portion in the freezer, I reckon with the temperatures it will be fine in the post should have just about defrosted by the time it reaches you.:D
    Elona wrote: »
    I had hoped to have a pressure cooker by now but the original got lost in the post and the replacement seems to be still on the way so any cooking will be done the old fashioned way. Not sure if pressure cookers are fairly old fashioned as I remember my older cousin having one in the sixties and blowing her eyebrows off.

I have a small delivery due tomorrow of things like turkey rashers and low fat sausages, eggs etc. Now I am cooking just for me most days I think it might be a good idea to repackage meat, fish etc into smaller packs so I am not always eating the same thing.

We had snow overnight and heavier snow earlier but it all seems to be melting now.
    I love my pressure cooker, they don't seem to be nearly as scary these day thankfully:). I think repackaging meat, fish into smaller packs. I'm trying to do that and find the vacuum sealer invaluable for this. It's easy enough to defrost multiples if you end up cooking for a few folk.:)

It's been snowing on and off here, there's not much lying but the ground is now wet and freezing rapidly so I think it will icy underfoot tomorrow.

I ended up having a salad bowl with my soup and chicken for lunch. Note-to self beetroot and a cream coloured fleecy top are not the best combination. :o:rotfl:The remaining portion of soup has been popped in the freezer as it had reached it's (for me) use, freeze or ditch point though I'm fairly sure it would have been fine if I left in the fridge for another day I prefer not to chance it.:cool:

I've juat some cabbage to prep for dinner as the rest is just needs heating up so a nice easy meal tonight.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 27 February 2018 at 7:12PM
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    He's gone :D, but the roads around here are pretty bad though. I'm in quite a rural situation and the gritters never seem to find us lol. He's breaking his journey - too far in conditions like this.

By the way Money - I'm originally from Devon :). Didn't spend too much time there because my father was a pilot in the RAF - spent my childhood carrying a suitcase :)

You and me both - I'm an armed forces kid - and hence bad weather really "hits home" and I find it very depressing compared to (very vague by now) memories of warmer climes as a kid.

Spent much of my childhood with my mother chucking out every single thing she could think of prior to A.N. Other Move. Apparently the moves stopped when my mother finally clicked that one of her two children (ie me) was coming down with some illness or other every time she got told there was another move on the cards LOL. So there was one final move (for my father only - whilst he commuted quite a distance to his last posting) and then he re-trained to a civilian job.....

Give my parents their due and they did realise eventually that one of their children just couldnt be moved around at regular intervals....as it clearly upset me so much. Guess it was a combination of having to "get to feel At Home for myself personally" and I was all too conscious my fathers job meant he could get killed/or injured (or be involved with doing that to someone else....). I've long struggled with how my very fair-minded/very honest/very intelligent/wanted to be "a parent" father got into that situation....and I guess it's one of those things I'm just never going to have a satisfactory answer to situations.

It is something I'm very conscious of - ie that the Armed Forces have no concept whatsoever that some of them will have children that are nothing remotely like what they would wish their personnel to have. Followed by a mother who (quite rightly) decided I wasn't going to be put into a boarding school - so...yep...carted round with them then as "lesser of two evils".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback