MSE News: Airlines to be investigated over...

Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Oooh...just found this site where you can apparently swap seats on Ryanair flights - I did suggest someone set one up. Not used it so don't know how good it is but the idea's brilliant!

Maybe one to get MSE to publicise if it works!

https://www.swapseat.net
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I pressume that the allocation of seats appart is to increase revenue by people paying extra to sit together,there is two ways to look at this.

1) increase the price of all fares to compensate for the loss of the money making seat allocation and this way MOST of the people will get the seats together ( if large parties of people might not always be able )

2) Carry on as is and let the people who want to sit together and are happy to pay extra do it,those who are not bothered can sit apart for a few hours.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    I pressume that the allocation of seats appart is to increase revenue by people paying extra to sit together,there is two ways to look at this.

1) increase the price of all fares to compensate for the loss of the money making seat allocation and this way MOST of the people will get the seats together ( if large parties of people might not always be able )

2) Carry on as is and let the people who want to sit together and are happy to pay extra do it,those who are not bothered can sit apart for a few hours.

I'd prefer the latter option.
    But there will still be people who don't want to pay for seats together who moan about not being sat together.
    If we choose not to pay to be sat together - and we would not pay on a Ryanair flight as to us they're not long enough to get het up about - I really wouldn't care if the system allocated OH seat 1A and I was in 27F even if we were the only passengers on board.
  • zagfles
    Options

Allocation of seats used to be about people wanting to choose particular seats, eg must have 16A & 16B, or for people who were paranoid about sitting together so needed to know for certain they'd be no more than a few inches away from their partner otherwise they'd have nightmares for weeks before their flight.

But for most people, they'd be fairly safe to assume they're likely to end up together if they check in early even if they don't pay to select. We've just booked on Easyjet, 5 of us, checked in 30 days before the flight, didn't pay to select seats, we're all sat together both ways.

Ryanair seem to have changed the game, now it would appear you'll almost certainly be separated if you don't pay. Well, that is, if you don't indulge in the pre-flight seat barter that seems to be a feature of Ryanair flights now. Maybe the above website will help avoid the delays this causes, I'm sure Ryanair will be eternally grateful to the website if it does!
  • Ganga
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Allocation of seats used to be about people wanting to choose particular seats, eg must have 16A & 16B, or for people who were paranoid about sitting together so needed to know for certain they'd be no more than a few inches away from their partner otherwise they'd have nightmares for weeks before their flight.

But for most people, they'd be fairly safe to assume they're likely to end up together if they check in early even if they don't pay to select. We've just booked on Easyjet, 5 of us, checked in 30 days before the flight, didn't pay to select seats, we're all sat together both ways.

Ryanair seem to have changed the game, now it would appear you'll almost certainly be separated if you don't pay. Well, that is, if you don't indulge in the pre-flight seat barter that seems to be a feature of Ryanair flights now. Maybe the above website will help avoid the delays this causes, I'm sure Ryanair will be eternally grateful to the website if it does!

The problem is that flying used to expensive,i am sure many people on this forum if over a certain age will remember that time before Budget Airlines came along.Now with cheap flights it would seem that a lot of travellers want to fly for next to nothing and complain about being charged for baggage,seat selection etc.in my humble opinion they can not have it both ways,iether pay a reasonable price and have all the perks or pay rock bottom and select which options to add and at what price.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    The problem is that flying used to expensive,i am sure many people on this forum if over a certain age will remember that time before Budget Airlines came along.Now with cheap flights it would seem that a lot of travellers want to fly for next to nothing and complain about being charged for baggage,seat selection etc.in my humble opinion they can not have it both ways,iether pay a reasonable price and have all the perks or pay rock bottom and select which options to add and at what price.
    So leave things as they are basically.
    Except there are people who won't pay for optional extras and complain when they don't get them. :rotfl:
  • Ganga
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    So leave things as they are basically.
    Except there are people who won't pay for optional extras and complain when they don't get them. :rotfl:

Which is what i said above.:rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Which is what i said above.:rotfl:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    So leave things as they are basically

Which is what I agreed with. :cool:
  • zagfles
    Options
    I'm not complaining. What did you interpret as a complaint? I said they're changing the game. That's what it is - a game. The business try to make as much as possible from the customer, the customer tries to get the product as cheap as possible.

If you don't understand that, then MSE isn't the right place for you. It's the whole point of MSE. In order to "win" the game, you need to understand what the game is, and what can help you win. Which is what I was pointing out above.
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    I recently had a squawking woman pester me for my aisle seat which I had selected and paid for so I offered to sell it for a slight profit . More squawking continued.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure