UK Shop - Under French Consumer Law

I have recently been going back and forth with a retailer about a coat I bought as I am trying to get a refund. To clarify I bought this item in a store in London and not online. I am not happy with an exchange (which they have offered in the email below) as I have already had to exchange the item once for a similar defect. I wouldn't bother but I spent a fair bit of money on this coat and was expecting it to last a number of years not months.

The retailer first told me they could not do refunds in store and that I would have go through their online team. I've been going back and forth with them for about a month now, see their most recent email:

Dear Iain,
I am deeply sorry but for an item bought in store we can not provide any refund. I agree that for somethin faulty we had to provide you a compensation alos that is why we offer you an exchange. Due to our General Terms of Sales none refunds applies for a store's purchase. Our General Terms of Sales are subject to French law also for the Uk store. Thank you for your understanding. I remain available for further information.

Is this legal? When you buy something in the UK you generally assume you are protected by the consumer rights act. Also at no point during my purchase was I shown 'General Terms of Sales.' I looked up the companies 'General Terms of Sales' but could only find terms which relate specifically to online purchases and nothing to do with in store purchases.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    They are having a laugh. If it is a physical shop in the UK then they have to abide by UK law.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    From their reply they don't deem your request to be due to a fault.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    From their reply they don't deem your request to be due to a fault.

I read that they acknowledge a fault but believe an exchange is adequate.
    Iain_Mac wrote: »
    Dear Iain,
    I am deeply sorry but for an item bought in store we can not provide any refund. I agree that for somethin faulty we had to provide you a compensation alos that is why we offer you an exchange. Due to our General Terms of Sales none refunds applies for a store's purchase. Our General Terms of Sales are subject to French law also for the Uk store. Thank you for your understanding. I remain available for further information.

No, OP, this is not legal, if they are trading in a bricks & mortar store in the UK they are bound by our consumer rights.

Which store is it?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Agree with above. Which store, when did you buy and how did you pay (debit/credit/cash).

As a side note, I do hope that wasn't a copy/paste of their response :eek:
  • Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. The store in question is called Sandro. I've sent my response and I'll see what they come back with.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 February 2018 at 11:30PM
    Do let us know the response they give, did you ask why French law comes into it when you bought from the London store ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure